1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new earphones <£20 any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by soth, 6 Jul 2006.

1. soth

Associate

Hi I'm looking for some new earphones for no more than ~£20 anyone have any recommendations?

At the mo I'm tending towards the Sennheiser MX500/MX550, according to my local a/v store the only difference is that the 550s have a volume control, is this correct? Is there any reason I should steer clear of either of these?

All comments welcome!

cheers,
    Ciaron.

2. Vegetarian

Mobster

Creative 630 - the MX500/550 dont stay well in ears and dont sound that great!

3. fish99

Soldato

MX500 have a volume control too. If you want canal phones, EP630 would be a good choice, otherwise MX500 aren't too bad. Koss KSC-75s sound better than either for £15 but they might not be your thing.

4. soth

Associate

hmm not sure if i like the idea of canal ones, my ears are quite small and i don't fancy getting run over cos i can't hear whats going on about me.

5. t31os

Mobster

Senheiser headset, have 2, brill headsets. Sound better then my previous Plantronics one.

6. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Koss porta pro's £23.49 Delivered FREE in the UK ;), I think Sennheiser's are highly over rated, thier brand name tends to sell thier headphones not the actual head phones them selfs.

7. t31os

Mobster

It wasnt the name that sold them to me, it was the fact i'd had the chance to listen through a pair of seinheisers before i purhased some.

They're better quality then any other i've put round my head.

Best headset i've heard through would have to be the Medusa 5.1's

8. fish99

Soldato

To me the Medusas sound pretty bad. Just about good enough for games/films if you're not too picky, but not for music. Koss KSC-75s (and therefore the Port Pro which are the same thing with a headband) sound fantastic.

9. Kainz

Capodecina

/me slaps soff with a debeaked headcrab...

Don't bother with the mx500's, they're crap (do a search on this forum). The best ones in your range would be the Porta pro's, the EP-630's which I have and hate, and the KSC's which Fish99 mentioned. Its hard to find decent phones at that price range though.

10. Eliot

Soldato

mx500s aint crap :S

11. Vegetarian

Mobster

Yes they are! They hurt your ears - dont stay in - and most importantly, they sound sub par against other headphones of its price range - what others have you tried of same price?

12. cobxx

Gangster

Agreed, why get them when you can get good semi-canal phones like EP630's for the same kinda price? Not bad to replace some generic hitachi or matsui buds though!

13. Vegetarian

Mobster

Even when you compair build of the sens 500 to other brands they feel cheep - like £2.99 earphones to say the best!

14. Eliot

Soldato

Ive got the mx500s, which i dont fit that well in some ears i'll give you that, but i would never say they sound crap, why do you think that?
    I also haev the sony earcanal ones, cant remeber the model name but they were around 30 quid and are black with gold connectors, they are on par with the sennheisers or mayeb only slighly better and i also have the headband sennheiser px100s which are just.... WOW