New eBay fee method

Soldato
It doesn't anything there about opting out, it seems everyone will have to be on the new system eventually.

Says this in the article.

You don't need to do anything until you get an invite, which will come by notification on the eBay app or by email. eBay says you just need to follow the instructions to add a bank account, which should take a few minutes. Once you change, you won't be able to get paid by PayPal.

If you don't do anything and continue to use the existing service rather than switch over, eBay warns that it has the right to restrict your ability to make new sales listings and to change or end existing listings.

Although reading it a bit more, don't know if this prevents higher fees.

Soldato
I just go on 18% for total fees now... or wait for the £1 final value fee... or end item early and sell to someone who offers a price :D

The fees are shocking but not as bad a 'proper' auction rooms. I'm sure Christies is 25-30%

Soldato
do they still charge 10% on the postage cost as well? I thought that was pretty disgusting.

Yes.
It stops sellers from listing a £50 item at 99p with £49 delivery charge. Makes it easier for everyone else searching and comparing prices.

but they add 10% onto whatever you put as the postage cost so you can never get "in front" of it.
Yes you can. If the postage cost is £3, you enter it as £3.33 and you've covered the fee.

Caporegime
Yes.
It stops sellers from listing a £50 item at 99p with £49 delivery charge. Makes it easier for everyone else searching and comparing prices.

Yes you can. If the postage cost is £3, you enter it as £3.33 and you've covered the fee.

You must not sell on eBay a lot.

There is a restriction on how much you can charge for postage based on the selling category and object.

For example you cannot charge more than say X amount and sometimes that doesn't even cover the postage and packaging other times it does.

So what I do is charge the maximum allowable in the category and then on some I make a loss and on others I make a profit so it evens out.

Caporegime
So I recently changed to the new eBay fee (exc PayPal) system and was shocked.

I sold for 270

And 40 pounds of fees were taken

After posting ill be left with 220!

I questioned this.
Vat is now charged!

This was never a thing when I paid by PayPal. I'm sure.

You'd get 10 percent ebay fees.
You'd get 2-3 percent of PayPal fees and that's it.

Anyone else seen this?

Final value fees
When your item sells, you pay 10% of the final transaction value, including postage. We call this a final value fee. We cap final value fees so you'll never pay more than £250 for a single item

That is direct from their website and that's always been the case.

Anything I sell on eBay I always knew I'm going to lose around 20% after you add up eBay, PayPal and postage and packaging.

So if you sell something for £270 you would be lucky to walk away with £220. Unless you are smart and sell when they have a £1 FVF deal on. Then you only lose around 10% to eBay, PayPal and postage and packaging.

I'm happy to pay the fees because gumtree you would be lucky to get even 20% of what you get on eBay and even then you have to deal with thousands of time wasters and peasants to try and get £20 for something worth £500 new.

Soldato
Says this in the article.

Although reading it a bit more, don't know if this prevents higher fees.

They sent me this:

You have previously missed the deadline to register for managed payments and your ability to create new listings has since been disabled. In addition, if you do not register by 26 October, your ability to relist and revise listings on eBay will be disabled as well.

You are required to register for managed payments. In order to continue listing new items, relisting, and revising listings on eBay, you must register here by 26 October.

Caporegime

I'm happy to pay the fees because gumtree you would be lucky to get even 20% of what you get on eBay and even then you have to deal with thousands of time wasters and peasants to try and get £20 for something worth £500 new.

But you're not happy to pay the fees and avoid them where you can.

Luckily all the collections I've been offering cash on collection for a 5% discount and most took me up just 1 didn't. Then agree to cancel the ebay listing so I avoid all the fees.

Ebay is quite frankly horrible but it's the only option as they have a monopoly for public auctions.

If I can avoid their fees I will. They can get stuffed. Their practices against sellers are ridiculous. Buyers can do whatever they want with no consequences.

Caporegime
Don't say you're happy to pay the fees when clearly you're not.

If I wasn't happy then I wouldn't still be using them.

I sold something last week on there and just ordered a new phone so old one will go on there too when it arrives.

I'll be happy to pay the fees as it will be posted.

However if I can avoid the fees I will would be daft not to

Soldato
Is it not now cheaper for a seller?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/11/ebay-axes-paypal-sellers-bank-accounts-upping-fees/

• Existing system. When an item sells, eBay charges a flat 10% of the sale price, including postage. PayPal's cut is 2.9% of the final amount, including postage, plus 30p for each transaction.
    So sell something for £10, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.30 while PayPal takes 68p. This leaves you with £11.02.
    Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £10.25 while PayPal takes £3.27. This leaves you with £88.98.
  • New system. eBay will charge a final value fee of 12.8%, including delivery, plus 30p per order, while PayPal will be cut out of the equation. This means you'll be fractionally better off.
    So take your £10 sale, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.96, leaving you with £11.04.
    Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £13.42, leaving you with £89.08.

Caporegime
If I wasn't happy then I wouldn't still be using them.

I sold something last week on there and just ordered a new phone so old one will go on there too when it arrives.

I'll be happy to pay the fees as it will be posted.

However if I can avoid the fees I will would be daft not to

From your posts on the subject you begrudgingly pay.

Man of Honour
Don't say you're happy to pay the fees when clearly you're not.

People have somewhat different understandings of happy heh - we had some contract changes come along at work awhile back, which weren't great but were pretty much inevitable anyway, and my boss was all like "so your happy to accept these changes?" I was like "no but I'll go along with it", "but I need you to agree you are happy with these changes", "as I said I'm not happy but I'm not going to contest it", "if you aren't happy with these changes we need to go back to a consultation period and you may lose your job", continue until he eventually gave up.

Caporegime
You can by selling somewhere else. You are loosing a fortune doing it this way.

No I make far more on eBay and quicker than anywhere else too at the same time so long as it's something that can be posted.

I lose money by trying to sell elsewhere and for collection only on bigger or heavier items.

Great example is I've made money selling stuff I've used over time by selling on eBay. People on eBay pay well over the odds and if I managed to snag something on a deal. I use it for a few years then sell it on for more than what I paid for it.

I've used gumtree and the likes and it's impossible to sell anything for what it's worth. Even if you do agree a deal they will turn up with either less or try haggling again. I'd rather sell on eBay where I make more money and don't have to deal with 100 messages wasting my time on the price.

Gumtree is only good for giving away stuff for free.

Back
Top Bottom