New eBay fee method

Soldato
You choose your service and you pays your money.
I've sold stuff via Facebook - had the usual fun of people trying to negotiate not only before they have seen the item, but once they have seen it as well (if you've come to look at the item, then you want it - no further discounts).
I have also had stuff stuck on Facebook for weeks without a nibble.
I've put stuff on to Ebay which has sold within minutes or days and I've had auction items sell for a lot more than I could expect - but at the end of the day there are fees to pay for being exposed to Ebay's millions of users.

Yer of course it always hurts when Ebay bank transfer your pay-out over and they have stripped all the fees out. However it was also generally a no-hassle exchange with no price negotiations.

Soldato
So I recently changed to the new eBay fee (exc PayPal) system and was shocked.

I sold for 270

And 40 pounds of fees were taken

After posting ill be left with 220!

I questioned this.
Vat is now charged!

This was never a thing when I paid by PayPal. I'm sure.

You'd get 10 percent ebay fees.
You'd get 2-3 percent of PayPal fees and that's it.

Anyone else seen this?
VAT has been charged on Ebay fees since last year.

I'm not sure how you're working things out but the new system works out cheaper for me.

For example.
Old system: 10% Ebay fee plus 2.9% Paypal
New system: 10% Ebay fee plus 30p per order.

The higher the selling price the higher the Paypal 2.9% would take, but with the new system it's 30p regardless.

Caporegime
VAT has been charged on Ebay fees since last year.

I'm not sure how you're working things out but the new system works out cheaper for me.

For example.
Old system: 10% Ebay fee plus 2.9% Paypal
New system: 10% Ebay fee plus 30p per order.

The higher the selling price the higher the Paypal 2.9% would take, but with the new system it's 30p regardless.

If you move to the new system the higher the selling price the more you lose as eBay now take more than 10% on the new system the old system is 10%.

How are eBay's fees changing?
This is what's happening for private sellers below (business sellers may pay slightly different fees):

Existing system. When an item sells, eBay charges a flat 10% of the sale price, including postage. PayPal's cut is 2.9% of the final amount, including postage, plus 30p for each transaction.
So sell something for £10, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.30 while PayPal takes 68p. This leaves you with £11.02.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £10.25 while PayPal takes £3.27. This leaves you with £88.98.

New system. eBay will charge a final value fee of 12.8%, including delivery, plus 30p per order, while PayPal will be cut out of the equation. This means you'll be fractionally better off.
So take your £10 sale, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.96, leaving you with £11.04.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £13.42, leaving you with £89.08.
It's not just sellers fees that are changing. Here are some other points to note:

You'll still be charged for cash in hand. A big downside is that currently some sellers avoid PayPal fees eating into their profits by taking cash in hand on collection. But eBay will still charge the new higher fee even if you accept cash. It will do this by debiting the fee from the "preferred" account you've listed on its records.

Soldato
I'm sorry but you're wrong, as well as having a full time job I'm also a business seller on eBay, for 7 years.

The new system is cheaper (11% plus 30p plus vat which is 36p, then 36p listing fees, private sellers even get free listings) and my net profits and Excel spreadsheet correlate that I'm making more money than before.

eBay 11% plus 36p (inc vat) on a £100 sale is clearly cheaper than a PayPal 2.9% fee on a £100 sale which would be £2.90.

36p vs £2.90 it doesn't get any clearer than that.

Caporegime
I'm sorry but you're wrong, as well as having a full time job I'm also a business seller on eBay, for 7 years.

The new system is cheaper (11% plus 30p plus vat which is 36p, then 36p listing fees, private sellers even get free listings) and my net profits and Excel spreadsheet correlate that I'm making more money than before.

eBay 11% plus 36p (inc vat) on a £100 sale is clearly cheaper than a PayPal 2.9% fee on a £100 sale which would be £2.90.

36p vs £2.90 it doesn't get any clearer than that.

It's 12.8% you are 0.1% better off

Hardly worth talking about.

Soldato
Annoying because the PayPal system works great, Any issues with a seller who hasn't sent your item or send you a dud you can go straight through PayPal and get a refund, BUT not only that for example what about those people who it takes days for payments for some reason to be cleared by their bank?. Some people wont post the item until the funds have cleared which is understandable but all this is doing id delaying it been posted out.

I've used alternatives like local buy and sell the the other selling websites but i tend to find with these places there's a lot of lowballers & time wasters.

Soldato
So I recently changed to the new eBay fee (exc PayPal) system and was shocked.

I sold for 270

And 40 pounds of fees were taken

After posting ill be left with 220!

I questioned this.
Vat is now charged!

This was never a thing when I paid by PayPal. I'm sure.

You'd get 10 percent ebay fees.
You'd get 2-3 percent of PayPal fees and that's it.

Anyone else seen this?

That's why I'm using Facebook marketplace

It's not appropriate for everything though

Associate
Before if I sold something I had instant access to the money via Paypal. I could move it to my bank, or use the Paypal balance to pay for the shipping etc. Now I will have to ship the item before the payment has cleared their system which seems to be taking days, and isn't on weekends... With Paypal I could withdraw anytime day or night and instantly have funds in my bank. Much better system. Seems eBay just want to hold your money somewhere whilst gaining interest or whatnot.

Paypal must be taking a hit since they got ~3% per eBay sale, which will now stop. Maybe Paypal should start their own marketplace platform with their payment system?

Associate
I've used gumtree and the likes and it's impossible to sell anything for what it's worth. Even if you do agree a deal they will turn up with either less or try haggling again. I'd rather sell on eBay where I make more money and don't have to deal with 100 messages wasting my time on the price.

Gumtree is only good for giving away stuff for free.

Depends what you are selling I like Gumtree Have sold 3 consoles this year all at full asking 1 collected 2 posted. Recent sold office chair and excercise bike...again all at full asking/ perfect buyers.

Have to excercise patience & yes expect some time wasters but can normally tell a genuine buyer immediate from good comms. "yes available" + "no offers" in ad also helps.

Soldato
Does this mean we can't buy from eBay using PayPal anymore? :(

That's a major bummer as it's usually PayPal protection I rely on when buying on eBay as eBay's own dispute resolution is basically worthless :(

Maybe Paypal should start their own marketplace platform with their payment system?
Pretty sure eBay sold Paypal in the first place because this was deemed anti-consumer.

Permabanned
I really think that ebay is not a fraction of the company they used to be years ago. Seem to get nothing but trouble from them. Paypal are absolutely terrible... like the new charge they have implemented if you don't use your account enough in the year... I really try to avoid ebay and paypal now.

Caporegime
Depends what you are selling I like Gumtree Have sold 3 consoles this year all at full asking 1 collected 2 posted. Recent sold office chair and excercise bike...again all at full asking/ perfect buyers.

Have to excercise patience & yes expect some time wasters but can normally tell a genuine buyer immediate from good comms. "yes available" + "no offers" in ad also helps.

You managed to sell 3 of the top most wanted items on gumtree in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown.

Wow maybe you should become a consultant on only fools and horses?

Office chairs I wonder why that sold quickly with everyone working from home and every shop online being sold out.

Consoles again no surprise there. I sold my Ps5 on gumtree for £800 on launch day. I only paid £450 for it. So yeah again not surprised.

Exercise bike. Again no surprise there with gyms being shut. I made about £15k selling my home gym equipment back in April. So I'm not surprised again.

It's almost as if things that are in extremely high demand are far easier to sell.

I'm willing to bet all 3 of your items would have sold for exponentially more on eBay. I was selling single pair of dumbells for £350 each. Kettle bells for up to £80 each at the start of the lockdown.

Try selling something that isn't the most sought after item and that's when the pain starts.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I sell everything not wanted in our house on eBay, many many items and have never once had a single issue.

I am always amazed, people will buy anything and often at prices which are surprisingly high. I always make a concise simple centred arial text advert with good clear pictures, always welcome pickup or offer to courier anything possible. Many have been large building material items such as large insulation sheets and old UPVC windows etc, lawnmowers, old cars, bikes etc (pickup only), right down to some unwanted ISP supplied routers, computers, consoles, old plasma TVs.

honestly I find eBay to be excellent and as I say, I have never dealt with anyone over hundreds of items who hasn’t been totally fine and left good feedback/turned up when said.

Soldato
It’s shocking how eBay are still going really but fair play to them for keeping it going.

I was at an e-commerce conference a couple of years ago and several marketplaces had people there, Amazon eBay, Facebook and some new startups.

You could really tell eBay was a dinosaur, the other marketplace spokespeople were laughing in eBays face. But.... they love to fight another day.

Back
Top Bottom