1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New essential Android apps thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Rilot, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Cyclone

Mobster

2. Rimsy

Mobster

3. TheVoice

Capodecina

No, it'd be a bit pointless if it had all the features of the full version!

4. Robzere31

Mobster

5. Orcvader

Capodecina

6. Apex

Capodecina

anyone know if it's possible to steam the content from say netflix phone app to your chromecast tv device, but at the same time stream the netflix audio to a chromemase audio device?

7. james.miller

Capodecina

video isnt streamed unless you cast the screen. When you use netflix for example, the app on your phone will tell the chromecast what to play and where to get it and the chromecast will go off and do it's thing.

Even with casting the screen though, you cant cast to more than one device at a time.

8. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

Hi all,

In prep for receiving my new pixel xl tomorrow which I'm planning start afresh I'm looking for some essential apps. Happy to pay for apps too as I should be getting a £50 play store voucher too.

First thing I'd like to know what is the best anti virus/ security app? I currently use avg free version.

thanks,
    Michael

9. Apex

Capodecina

none. google is a virus checker. if they find an app is bad, they will destroy it from existence and you'd not even know. same with battery apps, phone speed up apps etc, all are totally 100% undeniably useless

10. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

What about if you download a file which has a virus?

11. Apex

Capodecina

such as?

Does anyone know how to disable wifi or bluetooth from the notifications when the phone is locked on android 7.0? i swear google have been so dumb with this. on andoid 5 you had to long hold to enable, and tap would take you to settings. on 6 they fixed this, tap would enable disable quickly. on 7 it's gone to the worst style yet. if you have the notifications pulled down is the only time the icons quick disable/enable, but if the full quick settings are pulled down, you have to click the bluetooth icon, wait for the bluetooth settings to load up, then click the enable/disable button., then back back back to where you were. hate this.

12. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

I see what you mean. Stick to the playstore and I will be fine. Do not download dodgy apks, or any apks for that matter.

13. Apex

Capodecina

i download apks all the time but i just do it from sites i can clearly trust. i've never known the need to download anything dodgy from dodgy sites. if there are legit reasons fair enough, but i just can't imagine any.

14. james.miller

Capodecina

the playstore isnt immune but staying clear of dodgy looking clone apps is usually enough to avoid any issues.

15. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

Thanks.

I was also going to ask for recommendations for email, calendar and notes app but then was thinking that Google provides these...
    Are there much better alternatives? It's quite nice using googles apps as I can follow things up/amend notes on my computer through google also.

16. Orcvader

Capodecina

Gmail and Keep works fine for me but for calendar I use Today Calendar. Still requires the Google Calendar for sync however, but the UI is much nicer to use. Messenger is fine but Textra offers a litte more customisation.

17. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

I will check out that calendar. Currently I use Solcalendar which I quite like. Haven't found one I love yet.

18. mithrandir

Mobster

19. Kainz

Capodecina

Installed the app whilst on the way to work. It is quite basic and does what it sets out to do well enough. You can change either the lock screen or the home screen wallpapers easily.

20. Scam

Capodecina

If you've got a Pixel and stay with Google apps as much as possible. But that's probably me being OCD :p

I use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Keep, Google Chrome, Google Play Music, Google Photos, Google Drive (paid). Can't really fault any of them to be honest.