New essential Android apps thread

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In Solid you can add cloud, FTP etc from the 3 dot menu > Storage Manager. Be sure that your LAN SMB credentials are set up right as you will need to enter user/pass to access the network shares from a LAN machine. Since the update to support SMB2 it's worth noting that connecting to a LAN share Windows PC may take longer than usual. I typically see 10s times before the contents show up but thereafter the connection is instant. If you map the root of a drive then you will get the drive's storage usage too in the menu as shown in my screenshot.

To add any storage sub location as a bookmark, when you are in that folder just go up one level then long press that folder and add to bookmarks. It will then be manageable from the Bookmarks area like in my screenshot.

Soldato
Yup videos and photos all preview in the thumbnail, also filenames show too.

If it's missing visual elements then it's almost certainly an issue related to system theme. If the clearing doesn't help then set the system theme to white/default instead of dark and re-open Solid to see. You may need to completely wipe the app data and try a different internal theme etc if it's conflicting with the system theme colouring.
The latest update has fixed my issue. It was a weird one...

Soldato
What are people's weather apps of choice at the moment?

I use the Google one for the most part, either via the google app or a widget. If I want something a little more detailed the Yr one is the best I've found now.

Does Android have a default weather app?

Most phones have a default one installed, e.g. Samsung, Sony, LG etc will mostly have their own. Google/Pixels will push you towards their own which is sort of built into the Google app.

Associate
I use the Google one for the most part, either via the google app or a widget. If I want something a little more detailed the Yr one is the best I've found now.

Most phones have a default one installed, e.g. Samsung, Sony, LG etc will mostly have their own. Google/Pixels will push you towards their own which is sort of built into the Google app.

I have been using 1weather (paid) for the last 3 weeks now very impressed.

Soldato
Thanks guys. Going to try yR for a while, looks pretty good.

You can change the default 'home' tab. The standard sky view one is a bit pointless...

How do you know what weather provider it uses ie how do i check. and i am using on a samsung galaxy s20 ultra

Weird, must be something to do with my particular CSC/Region on my phone maybe? Regarding weather sources, some apps have a setting that allows you to choose different weather sources. The usual suspects are Accuweather, Openweathermap, Yahoo and Dark Sky I think.

Associate
What weather provider does that use? I've found Yr to be pretty good for accuracy compared to some other sources other apps use. Also that app isn't compatible with my S20 U according to the Play store :confused:

I could not see on the actual app so i googled it and this is what i found dated 20 feb 2020"
We are currently working with DTN WeatherOps as our weather data provider.

The maps in the app are provided by Google, with radar / cloud layers provided by WDT.

If you are interested in learning more about DTN, you can do so at https://www.weatherops.com/about-us

We will be adding Dark Sky as an additional weather provider in the near future as well as Pollen data from DTN."

Soldato
Sounds like a theme corruption or some non conformity with the system theme. I've been updating no problems and it has had no bugs. I'd reset the app cache/data and see if that has restored those bits. I use Solid to xfer files between internal, SD, LAN and Cloud regularly for reference.

Having used many file managers over the years, there isn't a better one than Solid. But if you just want a completely basic file manager then your phone may well come with one built in. The latest update to Samsung's My Files allows LAN browsing now too.

Screenshot_20200411-164938_Solid%20Explorer.jpg

How did I not know about this. That screenshot looks like what I need to get rid of all my crappy QNAP apps.
Will give it a go now

Soldato
Does anyone know of a decent app for letting you have a watchlist of movies (from all providers) and then randomly picks one? The girlfriend and I are absolutely terrible at picking movies to watch and it almost always ends in arguments, or her sitting there sulking because it's another one of "my choices" :p I was listening to Kermode and Mayo's podcast where some of their listeners have written in saying how they have a jar that everyone in their family can put in movies picks. Then they just draw one out and have to watch it, no matter what. Sounds like a great idea.

Just wondering if there was an app for that!

Back
Top Bottom