New essential Android apps thread

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Google's Phone app can now be installed on any Android phone pretty much:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...from-the-play-store-on-pretty-much-any-phone/

But the beta vs stable version compat differences exist so it will likely say not compatible with any devices on play store or not show in searches at all.

Workaround:

Go here and enroll in beta first: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.google.android.dialer?authuser=0&hl=en

Then load the play store link ON A DESKTOP BROWSER and you can remotely install on your phone through the play store. It won't let you install through the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

Associate
Is there a web browser that actually blocks ads including popping up new tabs? Been trying to watch some animes in gogoanime and the pop-ups are ridiculous.

Caporegime
5 years ago

Why's that? A new one about?

Have yet to find a browser that:

- looks anywhere as good with dark mode enabled
- blocks all ads and doesn't mess the page rendering i.e. blank spots
- performance is the best for me especially scrolling
- incognito mode is great in the sense, it completely removes all social media share buttons etc.
- nice UI on the whole, little things like the scroll back to top button are useful
- can sync bookmarks from desktop chrome with an extension (don't use this myself though as I only ever visit a couple of the same old forums/sites on my phone)
- Video player is more useful than other browsers video players

Being able to use biometrics to login into accounts online is by far the best thing too, although I think other browsers are starting to get this now.

Soldato
Best browser I found in terms of adblocking is either Firefox or Kiwi as both can install uBlock Origin plus any other extensions such as Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, etc.

Samsung Internet is second but that's due to be able to choose your own content blocker, some which allows you to customise the filter lists.

Brave, Edge, Vivaldi, etc are next with their own blocking, while they work well, they're not as powerful and flexible as the others.

Soldato
Anyone trying Climacell?

Have been using it for the last few weeks and i've yet to have an accurate forecast out of the thing. Not sure the app will be sticking around to be honest.

Anyone else find the recent Firefox update horrendous?

Don't think it's horrendous but there's certainly some annoyances with it that are a bit of a pain and i'm not entirely sure about the redesigned UI nor the supposedly performance/speed increases.

Might switch back to Chrome or give Vivaldi Mobile a whirl.

Soldato
I've just tried the new FF and I'm really happy to see the controls all down at the bottom of the screen where my thumb will reach them. I'll give it some testing, since I'd prefer to use something other than Samsung Browser, but that's been (up till now) the only one that works conveniently for people whose thumbs are less than eight inches long.

Soldato
They pushed everyone to the new FF too early, when they started development for the new browser they said they will not replace the old Firefox until there's feature parity. There's a huge list of what's missing on Github: https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues?q=is:open+is:issue++label:Feature:FennecTransition

The latest reviews on the Play Store is just causing FF to tank. I've been on the nightly channel since it was first available but at the rate they're going, it's going to be a very long time until we see all the missing features return. The new browser is definitely fast and looks nice, but there's some odd behaviour in terms of actually using it for me which pushes me away from using it as my daily driver.

I've been using Edge mobile for now which has been working well with desktop Edge, only thing missing is open tabs sync and history but using the Your Phone app I can easily push tabs between both.

If you need a browser with full add-on/extension support, either roll back to an older version of Firefox or Kiwi browser which has access to the full Chrome extension store.

Soldato
Actually looked for this thread to see if anyone was having issues. I only just updated Firefox last night.
What a steaming pile.
Was fun reading through the reviews, seeing it get slated. Been using Firefox mobile for a while but just binned it off for Edge which I've played with on and off for a bit.
I doubt I'll be reinstalling Firefox again given how inept their team seems.

Associate
Is there a note taking app where if you delete text, you can undo it? Needs to also sync with Google account. Google keep doesn't seem to have undo feature.

Back
Top Bottom