New gaming monitor.

Associate
hi all i have a new pc coming soon.
So i need to buy a great monitor for gaming.
I like the idea of the 120hz refresh rate monitor from Samsung the nvidia bundle with glasses.
Has any of you used this yet and is the 3d experience any good?
If not what monitor shall i get, Remember its for gaming only dont care about movies much.
i have roughly 300-400£

Last edited:
Associate
There's an Acer 23.6 inch monitor which 1920x1080 with 120Hz and 2ms response rate.

It is much better than the Samsung one but it's about ~£100 more but I believe it's worth it and you can always buy the nVidia 3D glasses seperately and remember they only work with nVidia cards.

Associate
OP
ok yeah i have my pc pre orderd with gtx480. so i want every thing here before it comes.
would you know where i could buy that monitor from? a good place as i wouldnt just buy it from cheapest online stockers like ebay,lol
do you know the name and model of that acer monitor?

Associate
OP
with delivery the acer alone is coming to £310.74
or is the Samsung SM2233RZ 3D 120Hz Monitor + Nvidia 3D Glasses Bundle at £342.03 a better deal? Is the Acer much better? thanks for helping me out here.

Soldato
i'm not going to lie and say overclockers are the cheapest site in the UK but i have always found there service second to none and would highly recommend them.

Soldato
Nobody can say if the Acer is better, really, unless they've tested it... The specifications suggest it is and the Digital Versus review is also positive. I have tested the 2233RZ (review on my website) and found it to be very good and extremely responsive. Although the Acer might be more responsive 'on paper', you wouldn't notice in a real scenario. And some people prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio to the 16:9.

The real question is - how much are you willing to pay? The fact that the Acer has an LED backlight should mean that the contrast and brightness is superior.

Associate
OP
OK thanks all i appreciate it.
Im going to go for the ACER i think and get the glasses at a later date. ill buy it from *********** its not the cheapest i found but you guys say there great to deal with.
guys i have a diff thread started about the cooler for my new rig what is preorderd i dont think i can talk about it here but ill put the link to it here.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16089949#post16089949

Soldato
I am not sure what gave me the idea that the Acer was LED backlit. In honesty, I am not sure whether it is worth 1.5 times the price of the 2233RZ (bigger yes and better it may be, but not THAT much better). Don't let me put you off, but I think if you're going to spend £300 on a monitor you should wait a month or so for the Viewsonic V3D to come out. It combines 120Hz with an LED backlight and if any monitor is worthy of dethroning the 2233RZ THAT will be it, not the Acer. Then again the V3D could be a complete flop :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
chipps nice find.
the acer looks great tho did you read the last bit about the drivers.
im wondering if the Samsung would get better support with the drivers as it seems to be the monitor they advertise with there glasses? Or am i just panicking over nothing.
Hope not as the extra size and resolution of the acer looks good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure the drivers have been sorted now, I wouldn't worry about it! If you do get the Acer could you write a mini review or just give some comments on the forums (and preferrably contact me on my website so I know you've done so :)). I'd love to know what you think about it.

Associate
OP
pcm2 could you look at the items i have preorderd, i still have time to change some as it doesnt get built till the 26th march
CoolerMaster HAF932
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Intel® Core™ i7 930 2.8GHz @ 3.8+
CoolerMaster 1000W Silent Pro
CORSAIR H50 water cooler
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
OCZ Vertex Solid State Flash Drive 120GB
1TB 7200RPM SATA II
nvidia gtx480
Microsoft Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

It has took me like 3 pc mags and 3 different forums to come up with this.
Do the components look ok?

Last edited:
Soldato
that looks like it's going to be a beast of a machine :)
very nice spec

i think nvidia will be doing all they can do to help push 3d gaming on their cards so drivers should not be a problem i think.

you might get into trouble with the mods for naming a competitor though so you may want to snip that name out :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom