New Gaming PC - All in for £2000

Associate
Hi All,

I was posting 3-4 months back regarding a new PC I wanted to order. I now have an increased budget and want some ideas on what I should be building. It's mainly a gaming PC but I also use it to stream stored movies and Sonos etc.

The main thing I'm concerned about at the moment is the monitors. I'm not sure if I need 4k or 144hz or 240hz. I don't really use the PC for FPS but my son is rapidly getting into them. Having seen my friends setup. I now know I want more than 1080p!

In respect of the monitor I need no smaller than 27" and no larger than 34" (32"being the sweet spot). However it must be wall mountable. My PC desk is very shallow and I need the screen off of it.

I have £2000 for main components including the monitor. I do NOT need keyboards or Mice.

How are people controlling their sound now-a-days? I have an old Creative box on the floor (with tons or wires) and two small desltop speakers 4x4".

AMD please. A good friend told me I must have an NVidia card but didn't expand on why, which I understand affects the monitor choice (thouigh to be honest it makes no difference to me).

One thing I'm keen to try and do and that is future proof it. My current PC is about 10 years old. I'll be giving it to my son with a possibly GPU upgrade. I'd happily upgrade it but understand that it's just to old.

Thoughts?

Regards

Lee

ps. I assume at this level of funding plugging in a Oculus Quest wouldn't be an issue.

Soldato
Definitely don't bother dropping £800 on 2080 Super now... They were over-priced in the first place, let alone now Nvidia are due to announce new GPUs on Mon/Tue... then release will mid/late September we expect.

2080 Ti's are currently going used for ~£600!! So don't waste your money on that GPU atm... Also that Samsung Evo Plus drive is a waste of money. I'd recommend either the 1TB WD SN550 Blue, or the 1TB Sabrent Rocket drive (have to look elsewhere for that though).

In terms of display, I'd recommend 1440p high refresh rate. Something like the Dell S2721DGF is new out and great, can be had for £331 with NHS/Student discount.

Do you have an existing system? You could maybe buy the rest of the system, use current GPU and get a next-gen GPU next month...

Soldato
Wait for 3*** launch to see pricing

Intel

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,445.70 (includes shipping: £20.82)​
mobile-minimized.png

AMD

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,312.71 (includes shipping: £20.82)​
mobile-minimized.png

Threw it n the 1440p ultra wide as normally they are £700 odd ! Both Freesync and G-sync enabled to boot

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys.

The reason for waiting for the 3000? Am I likely to be able to afford it or are you hoping for price drops for older stuff?

How come the TI? are so cheap 2nd hand or even available? Are they no good?

That monitor looks great.

Soldato
Thanks Guys.

The reason for waiting for the 3000? Am I likely to be able to afford it or are you hoping for price drops for older stuff?

It's a good monitor for pricing. Specially dual DP on it. But wasn't sure if your sizing requirements . Should last a good while though !!

I think 2080ti pricing will come down along with 2080S. But got to watch out for 3080/90 coming in at a high price and THEN selling out... They all do. Just like with 20** and 10** series . Eventually when high-mid tier like **70 is sold then 80ti or previous Gen drops prices !

Associate
3 weeks and nvidia 3000 gpu will be released to hold on till then.
Yep the top tier NVIDIA cards £1300-£1500 in price. Next year until the other mid-high tier cards come out most likely people will probably say wait until then on here. Always a bad time to buy in the pc game things are out of date within 6 months... so keep waiting my man :D:D

Soldato
Yep the top tier NVIDIA cards £1300-£1500 in price. Next year until the other mid-high tier cards come out most likely people will probably say wait until then on here. Always a bad time to buy in the pc game things are out of date within 6 months... so keep waiting my man :D:D

Already out of date when launched . AM4 was out of date with AM5 + DDR5 and it's satay rates etc . I'm on 2700 non X so happy to jump to 6 core Zen 3 4600 etc .

Associate
Thanks Guys.

The 3080 is already coming in at £649-699 so its actually going to be cheaper than your 2080.

Back
Top Bottom