New gaming PC crashing in games

Associate
Hi OC, any help would be really apprecaited.

Bought a new Asus Rog Strix z390-h motheboard, i7 -9700k, Asus Rog 2080 ti, 16 GB LPX Vengence ddr4.

PC is built and Windows 10 running on the SSD.

The system crashes every time I load games e.g Battlefield V and Total Warhammer.

Stress testing:

I thought it was over heating CPU as I have a cheap fan. So I stress tested the CPU and GPU separately and neither go above 60 degrees C. I also stress tested both at same time and system coped fine.

Fans

All case fans are running fine.

RAM

I used each stick of ram individually with same problem - a beep and a crash.

I turned on XMP in bios and that crashed it straight away when restarting so I disabled again.

GPU

I downgraded the 2080 ti's driver. no effect. I used this card in my previous build so I know it operates fine.

In short I am very confused as to why it is bombing out. Clearly something is upset when I try to game but how di I find out what it is?

Would be great if anyone has any ideas? I am running on a a 4 k monitor...

many thanks

B

Last edited:
Associate
OP
can anyone help? I am still having these crashes and cant play games :(. I used memtest to test memoory and it came back fine except it also said : "Memory locking failed". Is that a big issue?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help.

Regarding windows, I installed it on SSD via ipxe actually over the network using laptop as I didn't have a cd drive or usb stick.

I could reinstall windows again I suppose. But since it's a clean install anyway I'm not sure it will do much. Thanks tho will try.

Any other advice at all guys? V upset I upgraded and can't play . I'm sure I'm the only one that has experienced this

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's not rude at all. But yes. They are genuine.

And I built the rig so wasn't pre built.

I have tried turning XMP on in bios and it crashed straight away as soon as reset which is odd. Maybe bad ram but not bad enough that windows still works?

Permabanned
I had some games crashes a while back and its to do with the packages that Windows need for games to work and you get some of these though Window Update, and others inside the games folders that you install.

Not saying this is your issue but here try this bellow (it will install/repair all needed files up to and inc the 27th March.

I do not think the main site will be allowed here but this is the file name I will link to the DL.

"[Repack] Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes [2020-03-27]"

https://tiny.cc/vcppredist

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will check ram speed when I get back to pc.

I used FruMark to test GPU. Also the card is new but 2 months older than mobo and cpu. worked fine in my old rig.

I will tiny.cc etc. However new win does install with all updates installed and dx12.

I appreciate your continued help.

I have a 700watt PSU but according to online sites my rig should only need 600 max. But I guess it could be that.

Permabanned
Windows will not install all those needed files nor will most games, in the past you had to know what you were doing and manually install them.

I.E you play games and you know you need this pack and that pack as this certain games crashes.

IMO they all should be installed by default via Windows Update.

Associate
OP
Installing the visual c++ from tiny.cc seems to have done it. Although only tested 10 mins of gaming so far (v. Busy day). But I didn't get even 1min before so promising.

What is still strange is I have noticed that when the PC wakes from sleep it crahses just like it did in game. So something is still not right but if games work I can just tell PC not to sleep. V wierd.

Any ideas?

Permabanned
Well at least your games seem fixed for now.

The Wake from Sleep then crash comes up with either a Windows Update KB (around 2018) or your Mobo's Power States (C6/C7) in Bios or even the PSU.

Associate
OP
ok thanks Boomerang. So far games are ok although havent had chance to play for long.

I will looking into the C6/C7 thing or maybe even get a new PSU if continues. I am not sure I want to mess with the mobo powerstates since apart from sleep/wake (now turned off) it is all working :D (so far anyway)

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

CPU brand new and not overclocked

PSU = silentpro coolmaster 700w

I have found out its that when games are using Direct X 12 computer crashes and resets. DX11 seems fine.

Cinebench ran CPU at the thermal limit but passed and no crash

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As I had it stable using dx11 not 12 I started to put all back together. Attached two HDD and the second stick of ram to take back up to 16gb ddr4. Then games crashed instantly again. So I removed the ram but kept HDD. And games now working.

Could still be PSU. But also I guess still mobo or ram?

Back
Top Bottom