New Gaming PC (Pre-build/Custom) - 1000£/1100£ - Would appreciate advice !

Associate
Hi there !

I would like to get myself a gaming computer, and also I know how valuable it would be to build it on my own, I don't trust myself to do so. Not right now anyway.

Therefore : prebuild or custom PC from what is available on OCUK !

I did simulate thousands of builds (right, maybe not that many... but quite a few) from OCUK products, but I seem to be getting lost.
So here I am looking for help from more knowledgeable/experienced fellows :)

Scope: Gaming 1080p on a 144htz monitor, ultra settings, looking for ~144 fps on games such as Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Dota 2... Will also play more demanding AAA games, but I do expect FPS to drop significantly on those.
No intense use. Probably a few hours a week. No multitasking either.

Budget: 1000£ - 1100£ (Does not include Monitor / Mouse / Keyboard / Speakers)

Could a few savers possibly suggest options from OCUK's products, based on the following specifications ?

CPU: i5-8400
MOBO: well, an 1151 socket of course, also able to handle 2666htz RAM
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB (or, if not sensible regarding the budget, a 6GB 1060)
RAM: at least 8GB at 2666htz
SSD: 250GB (system + a pair of games)
HDD: 1T or 2T
PSU: I was thinking decent quality 600W, to give me some room for further upgrades. Should easily handle 120mm fans, MOBO/GPU/CPU, without blowing anything up though !
Optical drive: DVD-RW
CPU Cooling: Intel stock cooling (probably enough for a non-intensive use and locked CPU)
Ethernet connection (yeah I know... big news !...)
Wifi card/adapter (card prefered :D )
Windows 10 guenine
Case: Nothing too fancy. Decent air flow. Mid Tower or Full Tower

Many thanks to anyone willing to help !

Best Regards !

Associate
I dont know if you would prefer Intel but here is an AMD 2600 spec with Vega64. Here is some gaming benchmarks to compare them both: https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/

If you have not got a monitor yet, you could go vega64 which is faster than a 1070 and get a freesync screen to give you some smooth and consistent game play.
Do you need a DVD drive? i have not used mine for at least 2 years now and most new cases don't even support them.
Windows 10 can be had much cheaper, just google "cheap windows 10".
The case in this build comes with 3 fans included.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,112.47 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot for your answer !

The AMD / Vega64 option is definitely a solid contender, however it would require overclocking, and therefore probably a better heatsink, which adds up to the cost.

Also, and mainly, I am afraid this set-up would require me to assemble the parts ! As mentioned in my post, I don't really trust myself to do that at the moment. I would need to dismantle my current machine before I assemble one. Which I will not be doing before I get a functional rig, sounds too risky :D I will clearly assemble further upgrades / full systems myself. But that next one, I would like to get it built for me : /

That said, thanks again for your help, very much ! I will keep considering your suggestion (the bundle is particularly attractive indeed).

Cheers !

Soldato
Here is an Intel option. The i5 8400 and i5 8500 are out of stock so went with the i5 8600.

You could run with the stock cooler but a cheap aftermarket one will be a lot quieter under load.

The GTX 1070 is on par with a Vega 56. The Vega 64 is roughly the same as a GTX 1080. The 1070 ti isn't much more and obviously that sits in between the 1070 and 1080. If you want to bring the cost down a bit then go with a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580. Still pretty good for 1080p.

A 550W psu is fine for a build like this.

If you don't feel confidant building your own pc (Not as hard as you might think) then you can ask ocuk to build one to your own spec. Some of the pre-built ones are a bit inflexible on parts choice otherwise.

I haven't included a DVD drive or Windows but you can just choose a cheap dvd drive depending on what you want. As mentioned above though they are becoming less and less common in new builds. Of course if you still have media on DVD then you might still have use for one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,172.42 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Associate
We really need to know the monitor first. Specifically, is it a GSync monitor or a Freesync monitor?

And be careful about wifi cards. Make sure that the PC case - a big hunk of metal - isn't between the antennae and your hub.

I wouldnt Let the monitor deter you from nvidia or amd because of freesync go with what you. Prefer

I went from. An nvidia card to amd card purely on freesync and the difference is minimal in regards to screen tearing and stutter

Back
Top Bottom