Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit
Corsair Hydro H70
Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO x2
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming Edition
MSI Z77IA-E53 Intel Z77
Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB 1600MHz
BitFenix Prodigy 'Tiger' Mini-ITX Cube Case - Orange/Black
Corsair Builder Series CX 600w Modular

I want to 'upgrade' as it has been a while since I built this PC (I want to say five years).

I have specced something myself, but would like some advice. I want this to last another 3-5 years. I do not play many 'AAA' games. I have not included a GFX card as I have seen that there is the 3 series from Nvidia due to drop soon.

I am not looking to purchase this for 3-4 months, and would be ideally looking to get this monitor but it does not need to be included in the price.

wTHAFa3.png

Notes; I want to remain Intel and Nvidia.

Question, is my PSU good enough to carry over or would I definitely need a 750W+?

Thank you all in advance.

Soldato
Ask again when you’re ready to buy - pricing, stock and parts will mostly change in 3-4 months. No point doing anything atm.

AMD’s Zen 3 CPUs will likely be on the brink of release by then too.

I’d go with an AMD Ryzen build as well anyway, Intel is way over priced atm for cost to performance. Currently I’d say a 3700X, but whatever the 4000 CPU equivalent would be your best bet by the time you’re ready to buy.

Caporegime
OP
Ask again when you’re ready to buy - pricing, stock and parts will mostly change in 3-4 months. No point doing anything atm.

AMD’s Zen 3 CPUs will likely be on the brink of release by then too.

I’d go with an AMD Ryzen build as well anyway, Intel is way over priced atm for cost to performance. Currently I’d say a 3700X, but whatever the 4000 CPU equivalent would be your best bet by the time you’re ready to buy.

I thought that might be the case, but at least I have a spec in mind. I am very tempted to pick up the case sooner rather than later.

I'm not a fan of AMD, I would much rather stick with Intel.

Depends on how old it is & how hard a life its led. If its the same age as the rest of the rig then no.

To be honest, besides powering my system on and off (it has been used intermittently rather than constantly), it has had it pretty cushy. However, I am unsure it would be up to the task for powering a more powerful CPU/Motherboard/GFX.

Soldato
I'm not a fan of AMD, I would much rather stick with Intel..

You're doing yourself a disservice by being loyal to a company that doesn't care one whit about you.

AMD is the much better buy right now in terms of value and performance in most use cases, and if Zen 3 is out by the time you buy they'll be smacking Intel around even more than they already are.

Soldato
If you game at 1080p and are into fps titles then there is definetly some merit to going Intel but for virtually everything else then AMD is the King.

Caporegime
OP
You're doing yourself a disservice by being loyal to a company that doesn't care one whit about you.

AMD is the much better buy right now in terms of value and performance in most use cases, and if Zen 3 is out by the time you buy they'll be smacking Intel around even more than they already are.

I do not understand the first comment? :confused:

I said I would rather stay Intel.

I agree that AMD offers a better value right now, and the support for PCIe 4.0 is frustrating.

If you game at 1080p and are into fps titles then there is definitely some merit to going Intel but for virtually everything else then AMD is the King.

I have been debating over the i5 10600k or the i7 10700k.

They both out perform their AMD competitors in games in the reviews I have read. The system would not be used for anything besides gaming. I am aware that for other uses (streaming / video editing etc) that AMD beats Intel.

Interestingly, while I am more than happy to build the PC myself (and intend to do so), I noticed some interesting price points, identical systems built by Overclockers where the only change is the AMD/Intel (even using the same variation of Mobo in both) brings the Intel system out for less and buying the parts individually is also higher vs a pre build system.

Soldato
While true to a certain extent you need to factor the cost of the whole system, so for a ryzen 5 3600 B450/550 would set you back around £280 vs a Z490 i5 10600k and a cooler would come in around £500 so if you went with the ryzen you would have £220 extra to spend on a better Gpu which would give better fps than the I5 system with a lesser Gpu.

Soldato
Question, is my PSU good enough to carry over or would I definitely need a 750W+?
CX is Corsair's low end serie.
If you can afford Intel's per core prices you can certainly afford proper PSU.

Samsung SSDs are brand overpriced.

Windows even more so for becoming unpaid alpha tester for known to be buggy patches.
You're better of buying license from web and saving money.
Honestly Microsoft should be paying us.

And in 3-4 months we likely have lots of new hardware.
AMD said their raytracing architecture GPUs will be released before consoles.
So unless Corona virus causes more problems release is likely inside that time and would certainly imagine Nvidia wanting to answer that.
Also improved (not x+yth time rebranded) Zen3 architecture release might be in fall.

Caporegime
OP
CX is Corsair's low end serie.
If you can afford Intel's per core prices you can certainly afford proper PSU.

Samsung SSDs are brand overpriced.

Windows even more so for becoming unpaid alpha tester for known to be buggy patches.
You're better of buying license from web and saving money.
Honestly Microsoft should be paying us.

And in 3-4 months we likely have lots of new hardware.
AMD said their raytracing architecture GPUs will be released before consoles.
So unless Corona virus causes more problems release is likely inside that time and would certainly imagine Nvidia wanting to answer that.
Also improved (not x+yth time rebranded) Zen3 architecture release might be in fall.

This is really interesting thank you.

What sort of new hardware will we be seeing in 3/4 months?

Zen 3?

Soldato
What sort of new hardware will we be seeing in 3/4 months?
Because of Corona virus first delayed to September and now completely cancelled Computex would have been likely launch event for Zen3 and also raytracing GPUs.
Pretty sure AMD was planning doing announcement there.
Though would expect them to have had back up plans for some online event etc in case real world events get cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom