New gaming rig inc VR

Associate
Been out the scene for a few years and finally getting a chance to do some gaming over the next few months. Current rig is 3570k, Z77 Gigabyte UD5 mb, 8gb samsung green, HD 7850 GPU, Corsair Professional AX750 psu

Plan to reuse the PSU and I currently have a corsair hydro aio cpu cooler from a few years ago which I am hoping i can source a AM4 bracket for?

I want to get into VR gaming and have already purchased a Samsung Odyssey VR headset.

Dont really have a budget per say, but whatever I build needs to be good value for money if that makes sense. So what i've come up with is...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £990.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Is the 2600 the sweet spot for gaming/price? I don't plan on doing any overclocking

Choose this mobo as I need bluetooth for my VR headset. Mobo is pricier than I would like, so perhaps there is better/cheaper board for my needs?

Ram choice as its 'Samsung b die" and it can be run at super low latency? Is that true, or am I better off just buying some cheaper memory? 16gb vs 32gb?

Win10 obv for the VR

I will stick with my GPU until the end of the month as thats when the new Nvidia cards come out so I can either get a 1070ti for a good price, or one of the new cards.

Feedback/advice welcome :)

Soldato
@redeye_uk

if your going to upgrade your CPU/Mobo- push ryzen 2700x 8 cores 16 threadsand let it overclock. If you looking at ryzen 6 core over your 3570k - its more or a side step personally .

Total: £830.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

even if you add windows, still cheaper- Board comes with free 256GB as well. and you wont need a nvme drive for gaming- save cash and just get a large 1tb standard SSD!

ram is @8 Pack branded Team Group featuring Samsung B-Die chips- cant go wrong and lessons the likely hood of ryzen throwing a spanner in the works

if you fancy eye blinding RGB sticks the Gigabytes own- 4 sticks but only two are actual sticks, samsung b-die and lower timings then 8 packs above. should be plug and play

Total: £257.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

again, consider second hand i7k chip, waiting for 9600/9700k or 8700k chips to fall in price or grabbing next gen card when it launches​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

Does the Ryzen 2700x warrant almost twice the price of the 2600? It seems to average around 20% improvement, but most of that is in multi core stuff. Will I notice a difference in gaming? I get the point about a sideways step, but im not sure it matters as they are both quite potent cpu's. I also read bad things about running the 2700x in b450 boards? Perhaps the 2600 is better suited to a b450 board. Speaking of which, the one linked doesn't have bluetooth (which is a must for my build).

I think i'll take you up on your choice of ram (8pack). The price is the same, but the plug and play no faff is worth it.

I thought Samsung were the kings of ssd's? Slightly weary of the unbranded one recommended. Are there any benchmarks to look at? Maybe i'll just swap it out for the Samsung 1tb 860 evo sata ssd which is only a few quid more and put the saving towards a gpu

Soldato
Still works out cheaper- again getting windows 10 via media tool download and putting onto USB stick then buying a CD code- or using current copy of windows

Total: £915.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

reason why i state ryzen 7 with 8 cores vs 6 . you wont see much difference with ryzen 2600 over your current i5 due to its faster core count and better IPC. Ryzen 2700x , auto overclocks higher then 2600 or 2600x does and should last longer .

intel version. Non K - 6 cores 12 threads vs your 4 cores 4 threads. all cores boost to 4.3ghz and will beat ryzen 7 for gaming and VR specially at 1080p .

board comes with wifi and bluetooth 5.0 i believe

Total: £773.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

audio isn't has high as Aorus boards, have to grab Aorus H370 for better onboard Audio

Intel isnt effected as much from ram speeds like ryzen , hence 2400hz vs 3200hz

Total: £690.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom