New GMMK Pro - mechanical keyboard

Associate
Just put an order in, coming from the original/first Corsair K70, not sure which switches to put in when I get it. I have got really used to the Cherry MX Reds. Defo want some nice white translucent keycaps though, maybe translucent switches to make the RGB pop :). Ohh, and a custom Cable of course.

Stick with reds or try silent reds.

I've got a Hades 69 with reds and its great, but on reflection I might have given silent reds a go. With a swappable the dream is you can change about if you want.

GMMK orange panda switches are apparently decent if you want to try tactile, but they aren't translucent switches (slightly less RGB I presume shining through).

Before this keyboard I had browns for a long time on a Coolermaster mechanical, it feels awful now trying to go back and type/game on browns lol. I'm fully on the linear train now.

Keycaps with shine through and ISO (UK) is actually a bit of a crapshoot. One of the reasons I went with a Hades 69 is it came with shine through PBT UK keycaps. Most of the HK Gaming standalone keycaps in ISO (UK) are just solid. Their puddings are only ISO, so no dedicated UK symbols.

GMMK will likely have a ISO (UK) set in ABS doubleshot, and at least I have read their keycaps are fine quality compared to PBT.

Associate
I got the standard UK ISO ABS keycaps from Glorious (thanks OCUK) for my GMMK keyboard - the build quality is very good, and the price was inexpensive. Replaced now with some Tai Hao PBTs, but had to get replacement spacebars and enter keys as the first ones that arrived were so warped that they trapped the stabilisers and would not return back up!

Apparently the existing Glorious keysets are not compatable with the GMMK Pro, but Glorious are releasing a range of PBT keycaps (hoping OCUK stock these as well), so will be waiting for these when they come.

The Kalih Box Reds (not sure of OCUK have back in stock) are a great stater switch. They are pretty quiet but I found them even quieter when lubed (ignore people saying not to lube box switches). I have now switched out to gateron silents, as I like the damping on the switch for an exeptionally quiet typing experience.

Associate
I’ve put in a preorder a couple days ago for the ISO black with OcUK. Now I need to find some decent switches and PBT keycaps for it.

Any suggestions for key caps please ? Preferable PBT and translucent?

Associate
I’ve put in a preorder a couple days ago for the ISO black with OcUK. Now I need to find some decent switches and PBT keycaps for it.

Any suggestions for key caps please ? Preferable PBT and translucent?
I can't give any recommendations for translucent caps, but of the off-chance that someone else comes across this - HK-Gaming keycaps are inexpensive, available on Amazon Prime, rip of quite a few popular keyset colourways, and are made of PBT. So they're definitely a good entry level option for people unwilling to wait for Aliexpress shipping times.

Associate
I can't give any recommendations for translucent caps, but of the off-chance that someone else comes across this - HK-Gaming keycaps are inexpensive, available on Amazon Prime, rip of quite a few popular keyset colourways, and are made of PBT. So they're definitely a good entry level option for people unwilling to wait for Aliexpress shipping times.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ve bit the bullet and ordered some Zilent v2 switches and jumped in a preorder for a key cap set at candykeys.

Associate
Yeah the HK caps are nice, a lot better than any stock keycaps I've had on any prebuilt boards. Hard to justify some of the group buy prices when they exist.

Soldato
I feel like this is going to be one of those you can never get hold of in the UK and that's constantly out of stock so you'll end up ordering from the US and waiting forever!!

Looks super nice though, I wish they'd have done away with the "Home.Pgup,pgdown,End" buttons underneath the volume control knob and added dedicated multimedia bottom's instead, Although id imagine you can map those buttons to do that function anyway?

Associate
Sounds daft but just checking, you know those won’t ship until likely Q4 2021 at the earliest yeah?

yes I’m aware, I’ll pick something else earlier until this arrives.

I feel like this is going to be one of those you can never get hold of in the UK and that's constantly out of stock so you'll end up ordering from the US and waiting forever!!

Looks super nice though, I wish they'd have done away with the "Home.Pgup,pgdown,End" buttons underneath the volume control knob and added dedicated multimedia bottom's instead, Although id imagine you can map those buttons to do that function anyway?

Im sure you can use the keycaps of your choice on those and map the keys to your liking

P.S: this custom keyboard hobby gets addictive and expensive very quickly... I took the plunge and got myself some black ink lubed switches too

Associate

The software Glorious have looks really nice and will no doubt let you remap keys. You can also stick some multimedia keycaps on of your choosing, although finding ones that match is half the battle.

I was originally going to buy a Ducky Shine 7 but have now decided to forego the numpad and ordered the GMMK pro with Boba u4t switches and GMK posh keycaps. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Associate
The software Glorious have looks really nice and will no doubt let you remap keys. You can also stock some multimedia keycaps on of your choosing, although finding ones that match is half the battle.

I was originally going to buy a Ducky Shine 7 but have now decided to forego the numpad and ordered the GMMK pro with Boba u4t switches and GMK posh keycaps. Can't wait.

Where do you order GMK keycaps from? I've looked all over and seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Only worry I'm having is the smaller right shift and function key. Will this be the case on the ISO version too?

Back
Top Bottom