New GMMK Pro - mechanical keyboard

Associate
Where do you order GMK keycaps from? I've looked all over and seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Only worry I'm having is the smaller right shift and function key. Will this be the case on the ISO version too?

You won't find GMK caps in stock anywhere, you have to purchase either via a group buy (GB) or buy them off somewhere like mechmarket (generally at a huge markup).

I found the caps I wanted on geekhack GB forum as they list the suppliers for each region. The base sets generally include the ISO enter/shift keys as standard but the rest vary a bit more. Some will include the 2/", 3/£. 4/€ keys etc. some are offered as addons at additional cost and some have no options at all.

In terms of UK/EU choices they're generally:
  • Candykeys - Europe
  • Prototypist - UK
  • Mykeyboard - Europe
Each GB will generally list the expected shipping date provided they meet minimum order quantity. I ordered my set from Kono (US) as the GB already passed and they offer a "pre-order" option for people who missed out:
Pre-Orders: Pre-orders may be priced a bit higher than group buys. When pre-ordering, you are claiming one or more extra items that we're buying from the manufacturer. This helps include people who missed the group buy. Note that delivery can take a long time (estimates will be provided).

Associate
I was holding out for the GPBT keycaps, as the ABS keycaps they did were not have bad (and a bargain at the price).
Sadly the new Glorious PBTs are not shinethrough, not (at least yet) available in UK-ISO, are not double shot, and some reviews pointed to the lettering being a bit flakey and alignment a bit weird...

Maybe still worth a punt for the cash if OCUK get the UK ISO versions when they come out...

Associate
HK Gaming are an excellent alternative to more expensive group buy sets.

Cherry profile, fairly clean legends, and PBT for no shine. They even have clones of a fair few popular past community sets.

All their sets have enough keys to cover the GMMK Pro fully in ISO or ANSI, with all rows in the right place.

Available at certain prime forest or river themed retailers.

Associate
HK Gaming are an excellent alternative to more expensive group buy sets.

Cherry profile, fairly clean legends, and PBT for no shine. They even have clones of a fair few popular past community sets.

All their sets have enough keys to cover the GMMK Pro fully in ISO or ANSI, with all rows in the right place.

Available at certain prime forest or river themed retailers.

Yeah, I have a set of the HK sub dye caps and they are pretty very good for the price. And they come with tonnes of keys for different layouts and sizes.

They have a lot more sets in the works and coming out in the next couple of months too.

Associate
Put my order in, now just the waiting game. However long it is, at the rate I lube switches will probably be end of May anyway before I have all my stuff ready to populate the board with

Associate
I'm new to this but I will be going for this board too! Just don't know what switches or keycaps to go for. I'll look for the keycaps first.
Any experience of mechs in the past? All preference based so there is no right answer but there are some more fun switches out there and noise and pitch of how switches sound can be objectively measured if you want to achieve a low and quiet build for instance that may sway where you look.

Associate
Any experience of mechs in the past? All preference based so there is no right answer but there are some more fun switches out there and noise and pitch of how switches sound can be objectively measured if you want to achieve a low and quiet build for instance that may sway where you look.
I've been using Corsair Strafe RGB since 2015 (Cherry MX Brown), but want to move onto something more custom. I chose the brown because I liked the "traditional" keyboard feel, but for my new build I am tempted to try out a more linear style like Cherry MX Red... But I will say I don't like the shallow laptop/mac style keys!

Associate
I've been using Corsair Strafe RGB since 2015 (Cherry MX Brown), but want to move onto something more custom. I chose the brown because I liked the "traditional" keyboard feel, but for my new build I am tempted to try out a more linear style like Cherry MX Red... But I will say I don't like the shallow laptop/mac style keys!
If you are GMMK Proing have the whole world at your fingertips. If you want to go into the rabbit hole, would thoroughly recommend lubing your switches. Gateron yellow's are a really good linear switch, slightly heavier than red's but not that heavy on the scale of things. If you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole, you can get a switch called Giant Frostie V4 from a UK retailer at a more expensive price, but I just got mine in and they feel lush, just need to spend 5 hours lubing them :D . Both these switches have a deeper tone to them, so if you want higher pitch there are plenty of choices in that direction too but haven't tried any myself.

Associate
If you are GMMK Proing have the whole world at your fingertips. If you want to go into the rabbit hole, would thoroughly recommend lubing your switches. Gateron yellow's are a really good linear switch, slightly heavier than red's but not that heavy on the scale of things. If you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole, you can get a switch called Giant Frostie V4 from a UK retailer at a more expensive price, but I just got mine in and they feel lush, just need to spend 5 hours lubing them :D . Both these switches have a deeper tone to them, so if you want higher pitch there are plenty of choices in that direction too but haven't tried any myself.

Throwing in another agreement about lubing your switches. It's probably the biggest improvement you can make to a board, that and tuning your stabilizers. Plenty of material online for you to look at how it's done.

Associate
Ahhh thanks guys, why must you do this to me lol. I guess i'm up for it. Trying to get keycaps I like is proving a challenge though
I don't think you should google group buys if you're feeling overwhelmed. Keycaps are a journey in and of themselves. The glorious ones on OCUK are going to support your board so would say if you like any of the colour sets go for it. Generally you will be looking to import though for both the very high end and very cheap budget stuff. Did you preorder the ISO or ANSI keyboard? Reason I ask is as ANSI is usually cheaper with more variety to acquire at that very bottom and very top tier quality brackets.

Associate
I don't think you should google group buys if you're feeling overwhelmed. Keycaps are a journey in and of themselves. The glorious ones on OCUK are going to support your board so would say if you like any of the colour sets go for it. Generally you will be looking to import though for both the very high end and very cheap budget stuff. Did you preorder the ISO or ANSI keyboard? Reason I ask is as ANSI is usually cheaper with more variety to acquire at that very bottom and very top tier quality brackets.
I haven't pre-ordered yet, but will be getting the ISO. Purely because that's how i've built my mind over years of keyboard usage :D
i took a look at the red/black ones on OCUK and some other places, I'm keeping it in mind but group buys seem to be looking quite cool. Especially since the wait for the GMMK Pro is gonna be there regardless, it's gives me space not to rush! Someone directed me to a cool site called keycaplendar for group buys. I think the decision on the switches will be the trickiest part

Associate
Ordered a set of Boba U4T switches for mine when it arrives. Also bought a HK gaming set of dye sub keycaps and they're amazing for the price.

Associate
I haven't pre-ordered yet, but will be getting the ISO. Purely because that's how i've built my mind over years of keyboard usage :D
i took a look at the red/black ones on OCUK and some other places, I'm keeping it in mind but group buys seem to be looking quite cool. Especially since the wait for the GMMK Pro is gonna be there regardless, it's gives me space not to rush! Someone directed me to a cool site called keycaplendar for group buys. I think the decision on the switches will be the trickiest part

Tai Hao PBT keycaps are pretty good too, although I couldn't find any sets I liked in stock or for pre-order.

Back
Top Bottom