• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU time - Upgrade from R9 390

Soldato
Hey everyone

At the moment, I've got a Radeon R9 390 and I'm mulling over a potential upgrade. I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X to pair it with. I only play games at 1080 at the moment but may move to 1440 at some point in the future, but some games running at 1080 on the highest settings are causing low frame drops and average around 30fps which seems quite low to me. I've mostly noticed this in Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, but I've also read that these are extremely poorly optimised games so I am not sure what to think here. Running the in-game benchmark, the max is 49.7fps, and even when messing around with the settings it doesn't change this number much so I can agree that the optimisation is pretty poor.

I've run some other benchmarks though and got these results:

Running Heaven on Extreme got me:

FPS: 67.3
Score: 1696
Min FPS: 8.4
Max FPS: 156.0

And running SUPERPOSITION at 1080p High got me:

FPS: 44.67
Score: 5972
Min FPS: 37.73
Max FPS: 52.49

SUPERPOSITION on 1080p Extreme got me:

FPS: 19.49
Score: 2605
Min FPS: 15.37
Max FPS: 23.08

The numbers aren't terrible, but they could be better and with games like CyberPunk etc coming out in the near future, upgrading might eventually be worthwhile.

I've had a look at the Radeon RX590 and it really doesn't seem like much of an upgrade on paper. The 5700 or the 5700XT would be a more appropriate upgrade but aside from when playing a few games, I'm not struggling terribly with the R9 390 right now, so would I just be upgrading for the sake of it?

In terms of the competition, I've not kept up with Nvidia cards for quite a while now, so if my budget is around £200 - £320, what should I be looking at in terms of all the cards on offer from both camps? Is it worth upgrading now, or waiting for Big Navi to hit and then look at the prices then as they'll undoubtedly come down.

Soldato
If the games you're playing are running well I wouldn't bother spending the money. There will be new Nvidia and AMD cards launching later this year, you might as well wait and see what they have to offer.

If you really can't get rid of the upgrade itch this is by far your best bet for your budget:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £329.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

It is a little overkill for 1080P though, honestly I'd consider saving a bit more and upgrading both your GPU and monitor when the new cards launch later in the year, get a nice 1440P screen to match with whatever card you end up getting.

Soldato
Maybe check the MM for a tide-me-over card until the new releases, there's no telling when they'e coming.

It could be six months away so maybe something 2nd hand might suit best?

Associate
Hey everyone

At the moment, I've got a Radeon R9 390 and I'm mulling over a potential upgrade. I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X to pair it with. I only play games at 1080 at the moment but may move to 1440 at some point in the future, but some games running at 1080 on the highest settings are causing low frame drops and average around 30fps which seems quite low to me. I've mostly noticed this in Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, but I've also read that these are extremely poorly optimised games so I am not sure what to think here. Running the in-game benchmark, the max is 49.7fps, and even when messing around with the settings it doesn't change this number much so I can agree that the optimisation is pretty poor..

Optimisation on both games is terrible, even with a 5700 xt framerates won't be perfect, I have a Vega and framerates aren't amazing. A 590 isn't much of an improvement on the 390 at all. You'd need a Vega/5700/5700 XT

Optimisation guide:

5700 XT framerates:

Soldato
OP
Maybe check the MM for a tide-me-over card until the new releases, there's no telling when they'e coming.

It could be six months away so maybe something 2nd hand might suit best?

Yeah I had considered this option tbh.

If the games you're playing are running well I wouldn't bother spending the money. There will be new Nvidia and AMD cards launching later this year, you might as well wait and see what they have to offer.

If you really can't get rid of the upgrade itch this is by far your best bet for your budget:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £329.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

It is a little overkill for 1080P though, honestly I'd consider saving a bit more and upgrading both your GPU and monitor when the new cards launch later in the year, get a nice 1440P screen to match with whatever card you end up getting.

I was thinking that as well. Upgrading whilst running at 1080p and not 1440p doesn't seem worth it right now.

Back
Top Bottom