• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU

Associate
I have the following setup and want to upgrade to 3440 x 1440 gaming - just now I only run at 1920 x 1080 on a Sapphire 11199-16-20G AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual-X 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.

I bought this bundle from OCUK in 2013:
Quasar 215i" Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz Overclocked Haswell Gaming PC Bundle with 8Gb RAM 1600Mhz.

MB - Gigabyte Z87-HD3
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/motherboards/53366/gigabyte-z87-hd3-review
CPU - Core i7-4770K at 4.7GHz
PSU - Corsair RM Series RM 750 '80+ Gold' 750W Power Supply (CP-9020055-UK)

Can I add a 1070ti card to this setup and a new monitor and run titles on highish settings at 3440 x 1440 resolution?
and
What monitor should I go for in terms of refresh rate?

I am assuming my psu will be upto the job.

Thank you in advance.
Roberto

Soldato
Can I add a 1070ti card to this setup and a new monitor and run titles on highish settings at 3440 x 1440 resolution?

I am assuming my psu will be upto the job.

Thank you in advance.
Roberto

1070ti will do a good job at pretty high settings, though 1080 or Vega 64, even 2070, would be a bit better for slightly more £. PSU is fine.

Permabanned
Do you want the new monitor to use the adaptive sync tech? I'm running a 3440x1440 Freesync monitor with a Vega gpu which does a great job, My personal opinion is that if you plan to buy a new ultrawide monitor you should be looking to get one with either G-sync or Freesync, Because of that you should do some homework on the tech and go from there. G-sync comes with a heavy premium that can sometimes put the cost of a monitor up by as much as a couple of hundred pounds, Freesync monitor's aren't meant to add much as it's an open standard but in today's market that's not always the case, even so it's unlikely they'll exceed fifty pounds atmost, but you need to find out what a Freesync monitors support is like, G-sync monitors not being an open-standard means they are all the same with the same G-sync support, That's not the case with Freesync monitors so make sure a Freesync monitor has LFC support. LFC is Low Framerate Compensator. Monitors aren't cheap and it's worth doing some reading on the topic before jumping in. After doing a bit of research you can get a similar performing AMD gpu & Freesync monitor bundle that's significantly cheaper than the equivalent G-sync bundle. Which ever you choose it will do a great job of running your games.

Soldato
This monitor gets good reviews and would partner with the AMD cards - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...quantum-dot-widescreen-monitor-mo-232-sa.html
Couldn't find a reference to the LFC feature though?

Below the floor of FreeSync operation (48Hz), the monitor employs AMD LFC (Low Frame Rate Compensation) when FreeSync is active, regardless of the VSync setting used. This is only the case when ‘Ultimate Engine’ is selected, as LFC requires the refresh rate ceiling to be at least 2x the refresh rate floor of operation (48 – 100Hz satisfies this). The documentation linked to is outdated in that it states the maximum must be at least 2.5x the minimum, which is no longer the case. With LFC, the refresh rate will try to stick to multiples of the frame rate when the frame rate dips below 48fps. So if for example the game was running at 35fps, the monitor would run at 70Hz. This is effective in combatting the tearing or stuttering that would occur if the monitor simply stayed at a static refresh rate matching its floor or ceiling (i.e. 48Hz or 100Hz). If ‘Standard Engine’ is used, the monitor respects your selection of VSync on or VSync off below the 80fps (80Hz) floor when using this option, so you get stuttering or tearing, respectively.

That Nitro is a BEAST too, good choice.

Last edited:
Permabanned
@ROBERTO MORRIS

Hi, I've got one of the early 75hz Acer 3440x1440 models which has a Freesync working range of 30 to 75 & LFC for if drops below 30, I'm running a Vega 64 and like to keep performance above 60 which isn't hard, when it does go lower a few ingame menu tweaks sorts it out & usually make next to no visual degredation, As I mentioned LFC is an important feature, It also requires a decent working range so if a monitor supports LFC it should be an okay model, but you can never be sure so use this Monitor list to check what Freesync support a monitor does or doesn't have.
Freesync Monitors | AMD

The monitor you linked looks okay but I think the 48 working range low is a bit high, That said it does support LFC.

Unfortunately that exact model isn't on the list I linked yet, but all the relevant info's on the store page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom