• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Graphics card - 1900xtx or G71?

Associate
But will the cost still be stupidly high?

Anyway, I would presonally wait for the next gen, especially when DX10 is either you have it or you dont affair, my 9600XT still has some life in it yet

Associate
Wouldn't bother waiting for DX10 cards later in the year...

Why buy 1st generation DX10 cards when no games will support them. By the time a DX10 game comes out to push the hardware the 1st gen DX10 cards will be old news and the spring refresh versions will appear (or even 1yr later next gen cards if it takes that long for Vista/DX10 to spawn games that taken advantage)

Caporegime
Wait until March and see what G71 brings, NVidia are without a doubt one step ahead of ATi at the moment and ATi won't catch up until the summer at least.

Associate
OP
Same as 64bit processing. Windows XP x64 edition has been around a while now and we are all still running the x86 edition.

Software vendors arn't just going to forget about the millions of potential customers without DX10 and target their wares at a small minority of power users.

waiting for the g80 is not just about dx10, its about performance as well, it does,unt matter how well dx10 is supported when the g80 is out as end of the day the card will be built on a complitely new processor architecture that should be a lot faster than the currunt 7800 series as was the 7800 series compared to the 6800 series.

Soldato
Wel lI was going to get a new card this time around but with me being on a skt 754 shuttle with AGP it would mean new case, mobo, cpu, PSU and graphics and if I am going to replace all that then I might as well wait for the new AMD skt, DX10 and Vista.

My 3700 and X800XL can just about keep me gameing till then.

if your going to get Vista etc you might as well get the X1900 as you will get more life out of it before having to upgrade again

Associate
OP
lowrider007 said:
waiting for the g80 is not just about dx10, its about performance as well, it does,unt matter how well dx10 is supported when the g80 is out as end of the day the card will be built on a complitely new processor architecture that should be a lot faster than the currunt 7800 series as was the 7800 series compared to the 6800 series.

Well its swings and roundabouts in this case. At the moment, I NEED a decent graphics card as the temporary card I have means that I cant even play modern games. Infact I benchmarked it on 3dmark 05 and scored 889 :)

So you'll understand why i dont feel like waiting until november ;)

Soldato
Im liking the sound of the g71 from what ive read, but one thing thats swaying me towards the x1900 is nvidias lack of hdr and aa support at the same time. Surely if your spending £400-£500 on a gpu you want to be able to use all features n have best visual experience.

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
I wonder why some people are talking about DX10 when we have yet to see mass game release that actually uses the *full* DX9.0c?

Because 10 is a bigger number than 9... it's even bigger than 9.0c, so the games must be better right?

It's all about the marketing ..

Associate
Well i'm not upgrading my 7800GTX till UT2007 comes out, then i'll see what sorta card it desires, as it'll be a good indication of what games are going to be like this year... :)

Associate
lowrider007 said:
waiting for the g?? is not just about dx??, its about performance as well, it does,unt matter how well dx?? is supported when the g?? is out as end of the day the card will be built on a complitely new processor architecture that should be a lot faster than the currunt ??00 series as was the ??00 series compared to the [previous] ??00 series.

Sorry, but that argument will take you around a loop forever and will leave you waiting to buy a card for the same amount of time...

urrrr I don't think so, perhaps you did,unt do to well in maths at school then, b-cos if ati/nvidia only brought out 1 card per series/gen then ok I could see what your saying but they do not, so, like we see happening here, first we had 7800gtx then 7800gtx extreme then 7800gtx 512 oh and now we have a possible 7800gtx ultra/7900gtx so if you own the original 256mb gtx then it could be a worthy investment, but if you own a 512mb gtx then it could make sense to wait until the next gen, it all depends what end of the spretrum you are and what dates cards are coming out etc, if like most of us you are working with a budget then you don't just willy nilly go out and buy every new gfx card like a sheep, you have to plan and make descisions on what cards to go for and what cards to miss out.

Last edited:
Soldato
My thoughts.

The X1900XT/XTX are faster than the 7800GTX 512MB & also cheaper so definitely the cards to get. The cards based on G71 will likely be priced even higher, so definitely out as far as im concerned.

Id also rather be playing now than wait & with Vista coming (like everyone says) would rather have more time with a card that for all intense & purposes will be just as fast as the G71 card during its lifespan.

For a cheaper price & more worthwhile lifespan i would choose ATI, specifically though i think i will be getting an X1800XT. Just as fast & you really cant beat that price. Now i will just sit & wait for Dx10 to roll on i think. :)

Back
Top Bottom