• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Graphics card in old computer

Associate
I've been out of the computer loop for years i have a very old computer
AMD phenom ii x3 720
4 gig Ram
Nvidia 260 Graphics card
500 watts PSU

I am interested in a new Graphics Card Nvidia 1650 Super, as my setup is so old, would this be possible or do i require a new computer. All my games i own are old i would like to get some new games and play at only 1080p.

bru

bru

Soldato
Well TPU graphics database puts the 1650 super @515% faster than your existing NVIDIA GTX 260.
Power wise it's 100w TDP vs the old card at 182w so no problem there.

The AM2+ boards had PCIE 2.0 16x slots. So no worries there either.

It should work unless a motherboard bios issue prevents it, but I would expect the phenom ii x3 720 will be a massive bottleneck.

Man of Honour
I'm not totally sure how reliable this is, but I've looked up older motherboards here in the past: (I know it's not a popular website here :o ) https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gigabyte-GA-MA790XT-UD4P/246

In theory the graphics cards which have benchmark scores (scroll down) should be compatible. I thought compatibility related to if they can support a graphics card with a UEFI rather than legacy BIOS, but then some older boards without UEFI can apparently still boot UEFI graphics cards if they have a newer BIOS :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I would suggest getting an older card that will still offer a big upgrade over your 260. Something like a 650ti or 750 will be a big upgrade, as well as being fairly low power. If you're not bothered about power and noise I'd suggest something like a AMD 7970 would be a great upgrade and they're dirt cheap on here (still quite expensive on eBay though...)

Ultimately it would be a waste of money to get a brand new graphics card as your CPU will limit what you can play.

Older cards will also play nicer with older BIOS based motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom