1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hard Drive not recognised?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by geordie56, 13 Sep 2009.

1. geordie56

Gangster

I have just fitted a 2nd 1TB Samsung spinpoint and it is in the bios and recognised, is in my hardware manager when i open that up in vista however it is not on my computer so the drive isnt showing there. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

2. sorn21

Mobster

You may need to re-arrange the order of the drives in the BIOS, depending on which SATA port you plugged it into it may not recognise it in Windows. Makes sure your main drive is PM (Primary Master) and then others are SM (Slave Master) and I can't remember the other title, but it should be that. Hope that helps.

3. WJA96

Capodecina

Initialise it. (google it).

4. AbsenceJam

Mobster

You need to initialise and format it first.

5. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management and then select disk management.

This'll list all your drives, right click on the new drive (or maybe the big empty space next to it), you should be able to initialise it, partition it, give it a drive letter and format it.

6. geordie56

Gangster

Ok thanks a lot for your very quick responses guys im all sorted now, cheers.