New Honda Civic Type R

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
JimG43 said:
Best front-wheel drive car since the Corrado VR6. Neither were lookers.

:confused:

Erm, there have been plenty of FWD cars that eclipse the Corrado VR6.....

Anyway, the new CTR. I genuinely dont know if I like it or not.

Associate
William said:
I like it, its going to look horribley dated in a Soviet Union Lada kind of way in 10-15 years though.

I agree. Sat in just a regular new Civic for the first time today at a Honda Dealership. I don't really care if Honda was brave enough to produce such a striking car, it just looks wrong. I think Bangle's BMW's are a different story as those are much more expensive cars.

I thought the car was trying far too hard, plus the low spec versions just look awful. The interior felt far too small to me in the drivers cabin, but was large in the rear. As for the dash, fugly is the only word I can think of. Too space age and reminds me of what they thought cars would look like by now in the year 1976.

I'm not a fan of brash design though, a subtle Audi is the kind of styling I prefer.

Associate
-Neil- said:
you guys may want to check out the new Evo mag on sale in one or two days. They did a review/grouptest of the best fwd cars of recent years such as FRS, 205Gti, DC2 Teg, 306 Rallye and 106 Rallye.

No guesses for what won :p

Neil.

The right car won in the end ;)

Im going to reserve judgement on this car until its out.....although im not so sure about using the same engine with more lard.....Unless like Merlin says they alter the power delievery so its more low down.....but even if they do i cant see it being as quick as the rest

Associate
merlin said:
I dont doubt they'll skimp on the LSD. Highly unlikely UK will have it - and 100% sure the JDM will.

My point is just that the difference in the grip and handling with one fitted is significant, it pins the nose of the car down and allows you to accelerate out of corners rather than after a corner.

The current UK CTR has 200bhp, the JDM has 215bhp. Torque levels pretty much identical, and it's the torque that's the issue - not the overall power output. The LSD wasn't fitted to cope with extra torque - it was fitted to get the car's nose tucked in round bends/corners & basically kill off understeer.

The reason the current UK CTR didn't have an LSD fitted was pure economics. Same as HID's and Recaros (30th AE and Premier Editions being the exception with regard to the Recaros).

For what it's worth, I had my gearbox out and had a Quaife ATB diff fitted along with a Toda clutch and flywheel. It also left me with a ~2k hole in my wallet but yeah the difference is night and day as you say.

I'm interested in driving the new CTR when it comes out but I'm not going to be buying one, I'd like an E46 M3 next.

The rumours are that the new car will weigh less than the current model, and that an even more stripped out / track focused car will debut soon after the release of the new model and it will be called the TypeRR.

Have to wait and see though.

Soldato
I had a look at the one on display at the motorshow, and I really like it. I like the new civic range's styling, it's bold and most importantly different. It's great that honda have had the balls to go a bit "out there" with the styling.

Also that pearlesent white is fantastic in the flesh, I would never usually go for a white car but that was great.

Associate
DreXeL said:
:confused:

Erm, there have been plenty of FWD cars that eclipse the Corrado VR6.....

Anyway, the new CTR. I genuinely dont know if I like it or not.

Examples or the post was useless on both points.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
JimG43 said:
Examples or the post was useless on both points.

What, of cars better than the Corrado?

Examples have been posted in this thread already, chief among them the DC2 Integra which even I will concede is a damn good car. I'd also add the Autodelta modifed Alfa 147 with LSD to the list, as that seems to cure all the ills of the 147GTA (understeer.....understeer.....understeer.....tree.....death) and adds even more power if you ask them very nicely.

Soldato
JimG43 said:
Ill conceed to the DC2 and Elan. The others are for torching.

Go read this months Evo. See if the Corrado gets into the top 6...

Then go drive some of the cars you're slating, such as a Puma 1.7 and a Clio 172/182 as given your comments, it's obvious that you haven't.

Soldato
roboffer said:
Absolutely love it, debating whether to buy one or not but dont think I can justify it. Maybe I'll look at picking one up second hand 12-18 months after release.

Stunning in white.

civictyper06.jpg

That + supercharger = mmmmm.... :D

Back
Top Bottom