new htpc build advice

Associate
Hi,

I am in the process of buying stuff to build a new pc. i wanted it to sit on a shelf 30cm depth so torn between the silverstone grandia g05 or 06 5-32.5cm 6- 34cm

the thing i like about the 5 is the front and the fact that it would fit nicely.
the 6 - i like the extra hdd spaces but not sure i want the front open all the time when i use the front ports. Hot swap feature also nice.

I have got so far:
gigabyte G1 sniper m3 mobo
i7 3770k 3.5ghz cpu
corsair vengeance LP 2 x 8gb ram
ocz vertex ssd
3tb hdd wd green
pio bdr
fitting a cap card too.
as well as being torn on the case i also torn on psu and cpu cooler choice.

i am toying with trying a fanless psu such as the seasonic x460 FL
or am i better going for a higher watt with a fan and just hoping it doesnt spin up much?

i want it to be near silent if possible, it will be used for media streams & recording, as well as other pc stuff.

Cpu Coolers i have looked at inc the new axp-100, noctua NH-L9i and a few others.

having everything nailed down except the case, psu and cooler. im driving myself nuts looking at stuff now. Some advice off you guys would be really appreciated. :)

And if anyone has any experience with any of these items i would really like some feedback. thanks.

Soldato
You've hit on some good options there mate,

I have no experience of any of these part but can tell you how it looks from this side of the fence.

The GD05 would be my choice for the case.

Just because it is more accommodating to use. If you are using it a lot, plugging things into it or putting disks in, it'll be a lot nicer to use than the GD06. Hot swap is a good feature but it's an HTPC so i doubt you'd be using that a lot, if atall..

That Fanless power supply would be my choice. It would be able to handle a GPU if you decide on it later too.. a 7850 maybe. :)

As for the cooler, that AXP-100 looks good, there was a thread recently reviewing it (here)

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice, yeah its not in stock til end of january, not sure im that patient, all these toys sitting around the house calling to me... not sure i will hold out long enough to order it!

i am liking the idea of getting a fanless psu.

Associate
OP
won't just be an htpc its an all rounder, i just want a small case to fit the shelf is all. I already have the components, so no point getting suggestions for lower sepc. i always overspec anyway, lasts longer.
the only things still to be determined are the PSU, case and cooler.

Soldato
I have same system which i put together a few days ago

Gigabyte SKT-1155 G1 Sniper M3 mobo
Core i7-3770K
AMD HD6570
Antec High Current Gamer 620W
Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Kit
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Using a Antec NSK2400 case but had to cut part of an internal wall out due to the sata sockets being at a right angle so couldn't plug any leads in

I'm not into overclocking so using the stock cooler which is giving me temps of about 26c idle and about 62c max

Back
Top Bottom