New iPhone hack

During the coronavirus lockdown, professional hacker Ian Beer, a member of Google’s hacking team Project Zero, developed a way to remotely hijack iPhones — simply by pointing a homebrewed antenna at them.

Beer’s technique requires only about $100 worth of equipment, Motherboard reports, and granted him total control of whatever phones he targeted. This is Beer’s specialty, but the fact remains that his comparatively-simple hack made the iPhone’s security measures seem disturbingly trivial.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/horrifying-hack-iphones-antenna?mc_eid=59122cfa59&mc_cid=300f0c4b63

Permabanned
It is disturbing though. For someone to find this sort of issue isn't good. It means anyone lower than a 6S will get this issue. Not good!

For something as bad as this I think Apple should be forced to patch up their old phones because of security. This is a big thing if data can be stolen.

Commissario
This is a big thing if data can be stolen.
I can't read the original article because *adblock* and the only video I could see was a forced restart. What are the actual implications? If I have to leave my phone somewhere within what will be a very short range transmitter for someone to get access then I wouldn't be that bothered.

Permabanned
I can't read the original article because *adblock* and the only video I could see was a forced restart. What are the actual implications? If I have to leave my phone somewhere within what will be a very short range transmitter for someone to get access then I wouldn't be that bothered.

I'm not sure, can't read thread either. Trying to find some info about it. :)

Soldato
Was reading about this earlier over on The Reg (https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/03/apple_wireless_bug/); pretty "cool" and interesting, and ultimately serious, exploit that essentially gains you user data access within WiFi range (although mentions it could be "wormable").

For something as bad as this I think Apple should be forced to patch up their old phones because of security. This is a big thing if data can be stolen.

Arguably it is a pretty serious issue if you cannot update to iOS 13.5/13.6 but Apple aren't alone (most of tech industry is the same) in dumping support for "old" hardware, so i would be surprised if they back-ported the fix to previous versions.

Last edited:
Commissario
Switching it to Contacts Only won't help - The video showed that he'd created 100 random contacts and then brute forced it. On any device older than iOS 13.5, the only way to stop this is to switch off Airdrop.

Not that I expect that anyone will be compromised by this in the wild, ever.

Soldato
Not that I expect that anyone will be compromised by this in the wild, ever.

The author does mention he didn't think it was in the wild but did mention that Azimuth may have already known about this vulnerability, or certainly were looking into it, so it's entirely possible that it was being used.
Plus with 1.5 billion active iOS devices, i suspect there's still a fair few <13.5 devices being used, and the exploit now in the open, many bad actors will try their luck.

For privacy and security of users, i do think there needs to be more noise created about vulnerabilities like this (across all manufacturers/devices) especially if mitigating it is as simple as disabling a feature.
Plus it helps disbanded security myths people have of certain products.

Back
Top Bottom