New LCD tech eliminates responce times

Associate
Interesting. Good read.

My only worry is what will happen to image quality (and other LCD aspects) if they are focusing so much on the response times. After the rebirth of IPS technology this year, we would probably witness major shifts from other panel manufactures later this year (or even next one) ... as Vincent report from Cebit is certainly suggesting.

After numerous gaming sessions with my new LCD monitor, I'm now questioning myself do I really need better response times ?! Honestly, it's quite good and "enjoyable". Maybe even better question is if the price tag when such technology is available could simply justify the eventual upgrade. Time will tell.

Soldato
I suppose this is one of those things you have to see to believe, because it doesn't sound too convincing on paper.

I don't like the Samsung idea - generating an interpolated image in between every real frame. I remember Philips tried this with their CRT TVs and while it looked superb a lot of the time, it could also lead to some horrible artifacts on images that were difficult to predict, like live football. The ball would often have a disturbing double image when it changed direction suddenly. If it's not using prediction, then it may be showing an image that is half a frame out of date (since it would need 2 complete frames to interpolate the inbetween one), which would be awful for gaming.

The AU idea - showing a black frame every 6th frame, it seems odd to be going back into the realm of flickering to get CRT like responses.

However, I think with both ideas though, it's how they work in pracitce that matters, and according to BeHardware, they're both much quicker than current LCDs and on a par with CRTs. So if that's the case, and we can stop worrying about response times in the future, it's a big thumbs up from me :)

Back
Top Bottom