New Mac Mini as a HTPC

Soldato
Jeff Crawly said:
Just built the following Media-PC for a customer which totally creams the MACmini (which for your information struggles with some interlaced Hi-Def video)
No OS.
Not Silent.
No Wifi.
No Bluetooth.
No Media Software.
No Remote.

And only one person has claimed it wont do HiDef stuff, with no evidence of it doing so either way or not, so it might well do HiDef for all we know.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a MAC hater, they have their place,, mainly in video editing due too the fantastic Final Cut Pro but as far as media PC's go they suck compared to an equally priced PC based setup.
Well your posts suggest otherwise.
Would it not have been easyier to just not bother posting rarther than bashing Macs in a thread about Macs?

Soldato
BoomAM said:
No OS.
Not Silent.
No Wifi.
No Bluetooth.
No Media Software.
No Remote.

And only one person has claimed it wont do HiDef stuff, with no evidence of it doing so either way or not, so it might well do HiDef for all we know.

Well your posts suggest otherwise.
Would it not have been easyier to just not bother posting rarther than bashing Macs in a thread about Macs?
i asked for a spec and he gave me one, having *** choice i wouodl pick what he showed tbh.

Associate
Jeff Crawly said:
Just built the following Media-PC for a customer which totally creams the MACmini (which for your information struggles with some interlaced Hi-Def video)

AMD Athlon 64 (ADA3800BVBOX) X2 3800+ Socket 939 Dual Core 2.0ghz
DFI NF4 Infinity SKT939 nForce4 chipset Dual DDR400 PCI-E SATA ATX
2 X Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400
Leadtek WinFast PX6800-TDH256 GeForce 6800 256MB PCI-E SLI Ready
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB 7200RPM ATA/100 8MB Cache
Antec Black Overture II Quiet Media Case 450wpsu
Benq 1640 (Black)

Total components cost = £585 Inc VAT

Yeah it's £35 more expensive but for that extra £35 you get a far far better media PC that can actually cope with High definition video!! Also it's a lot quieter than the MACmini which when under-load/trying to playing some Hi-Def video sounds like an aeroplane taking off!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not a MAC hater, they have their place,, mainly in video editing due too the fantastic Final Cut Pro but as far as media PC's go they suck compared to an equally priced PC based setup.

now i havent used or intend to use a mac in ten years... but can you please explain how the above spec even comes close to the apple. with the OS/Software and WiFi/BlueTooth some silent cooling your talking atleast £800-900

Mac Mini seams a bargain in my eyes

EDIT: though i dont see an optical connection anywhere

m40_expandable.gif

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does the mac mini support hdcp though, I hardly think the intel graphics chip has it. If it doesnt it will be useless for hi def because all blu-ray and hd-dvds will be using it. Tbh Id just use media center, fantastic os for home entertainment and you can upgrade to a gfx card that supports hdcp. And specs wise your not really getting much for your money with a mac mini. I suppose the same could be said about all apple products though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom