New mac user - questions

Associate
You need some extra software afaik!

Try something like steermouse. I've got the mighty mouse set so scrolling the ball left goes back and scrolling it right goes forward.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Shame its not free.

Another thing, my hard disk space seems to be reducing rapidly. There seems to be lots of duplicate files etc. For example, I imported my photos to iphoto and then looked on the hard disk, there were about 2 or 3 copies of each photo (in modified, original, imported folders). Is there a system cleaner type app? I liked CCCleaner in Windows. Is there a similar one for mac?

Thanks.

Soldato
midgetski said:
Thanks. Shame its not free.

Another thing, my hard disk space seems to be reducing rapidly. There seems to be lots of duplicate files etc. For example, I imported my photos to iphoto and then looked on the hard disk, there were about 2 or 3 copies of each photo (in modified, original, imported folders). Is there a system cleaner type app? I liked CCCleaner in Windows. Is there a similar one for mac?

Thanks.

Yeah you right about that... I have posted a topic about this in one of my thread asking if there is a better picture browser.. I do like iPhoto but dont like the idea of it creating many picture as it takes up HD space like you say

Soldato
In iPhoto preferences you probably have "copy files to library" (or similar) ticked, therefore you've put your photo's onto your mac in a folder, then added them to your library which has of course then copied them to somewhere else also.

Soldato
Think is I like to have my own copy in my own folder. It a shame that iPhoto cant read them from that folder rather then import them to iphoto folder.

But when do import them to iphoto folder why is there 2 copies in there aswell as modified folder this takes up a lot of space.

Hence reason i am looking for somthing different. Adobe PhotoShop Element would do a better job but then again i want to wait for the new version for Mac

Soldato
Think is I like to have my own copy in my own folder. It a shame that iPhoto cant read them from that folder rather then import them to iphoto folder.

You can have them in your own folder, I do. I just make sure when it goes into the library it doesn't move the file.

iPhoto is fine for organisation, you've most likely buggered up somewhere. To go back to stage one delete the iPhoto Library folder within pictures (default). Then go through your folder/location that you use for pictures and ensure no duplicates. Then load up iPhoto again and it will recreate its iPhoto Library folder, before adding pictures ensure you go into iPhoto > Preferences and ensure "move to library" (or similar) is NOT ticked. It will then add the photo's into your library without moving them.
When you add in more pictures don't use the iPhoto picture importer, just move them manually into your own folder (organised how you want it), THEN import.

Soldato
FirebarUK said:
You can have them in your own folder, I do. I just make sure when it goes into the library it doesn't move the file.

iPhoto is fine for organisation, you've most likely buggered up somewhere. To go back to stage one delete the iPhoto Library folder within pictures (default). Then go through your folder/location that you use for pictures and ensure no duplicates. Then load up iPhoto again and it will recreate its iPhoto Library folder, before adding pictures ensure you go into iPhoto > Preferences and ensure "move to library" (or similar) is NOT ticked. It will then add the photo's into your library without moving them.
When you add in more pictures don't use the iPhoto picture importer, just move them manually into your own folder (organised how you want it), THEN import.

OK i do that but out of interest can you please look in your iphoto folder and let me know if you have 3 blue folders in there. Data, Original and Modified. If you have let me know how big they all are.

Cheers

Soldato
Being a student I managed to pick it up for £79 on special offer on the Apple Site (1.5 that is). I like it but don't use it nearly as much as I'd like, one thing I would LOVE to see would be a dynamic linking between iPhoto and Aperture library. Whereby you use iPhoto to add pictures, then when you fire up Aperture it simply references to the iPhoto library.

Back
Top Bottom