1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New macbook owner - best recovery media option?

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by Totality, 16 Aug 2014.

1. Totality

Mobster

Hi all,

Picked up a macbook air 2014 model and all good so far. Doesn't come with any recovery media so assume that to restore it the macbook has a recovery partition on the SSD, but what if the SSD is infected and a full restore is needed?

Are you able to download OS X Mavericks on a seperate machine as an ISO and create a bootable USB stick like with Windows, or do you need to create a recovery USB whilst the Macbook is new as you cannot download an ISO? What is the best option? All I want is a way to restore the OS to blank and new if the recovery on HDD becomes broken for whatever reason.

Cheers

2. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

You'll be able to restore over the network, no recovery media necessary. However for speed I tend to clone the hard drive to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (which creates a bootable external clone).

3. lamboman

Mobster

Apple include the createinstallmedia utility in their installers now. Works the same way for Yosemite: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856

I'd recommend keeping a USB stick on hand in case you want to install from scratch (completely wiping the drive).

4. BunnyKillBot

Mobster

OP, if you turn on the computer with no, or a fresh hard drive, it will connect to the internet (wifi or ethernet, probably), and stream the standard recovery environment in to RAM. From there, you can re-partition the disk and install the version of OSX the computer came with, or restore a backup, or what ever.

5. Totality

Mobster

Cheers - the internet recovery worked after bootcamp messed up the partitions on the disk! Downloaded from Command + R and reinstalled itself. Will create a USB restore at some point too incase I am ever away from internet!