New Machine

Associate
Just for the record if PPD is more important than Gaming performance then from what I've managed so far an overclocked dual core Intel seems slightly quicker.

For example on the same Project

-- Dom - C1 -- 3800+ X2 - running stock

Min. Time / Frame : 26mn 04s - 111.59 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 37mn 09s - 78.30 ppd

-- Speedy -- 3500+ Venice running at 2.6Ghz

Min. Time / Frame : 24mn 06s - 120.70 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 26mn 38s - 109.22 ppd

-- WP C1 -- P4 Smithfield 2.6GHz @ 3.6Ghz

Min. Time / Frame : 22mn 47s - 127.67 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 23mn 00s - 126.47 ppd

Associate
If there is that little more budget left i'd have whent for:
Abit AN8 SLi nForce4 Motherboard & BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC. Total £619.23

I origially had a 6600GT, Upgraded to a 7600GT. Much faster (although a good bit hotter!) So i'd imagine it's a good bit faster than the 7300GS going by what you guys are saying.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The graphics card is not a problem, and I want SLI for future proofing.
The games played run at max settings on a Ti4600 perfectly smoothly, so the 7300 should be more than enough until it's going to be used for more intensive games, which is unlikely for the foreseeable future due to the fact that games nowadays aren't half as good as they used to be :(

Basically for a CPU cooler I'm looking for an upright 120mm and the EVO's the only one I've seen :(

How will more, slower, RAM help F@H?
I would have thought 1GB would be more than enough for XP and two instances of F@H, and the high bandwidth would help with the Large WU's?
Also bearing in mind that I'm going to add at least another 2GB later.

Bigdom I notice your comparing your overclocked 3.6GHz P4 to a stock 3800 X2 (2Ghz). The 3800 can hit at least 2.4GHz with reasonable hardware. Do you think that would close the gap somewhat or would it need to be considerably faster?

:)

Associate
Well the 3800+ is two Venice cores.. so a 2.4Ghz 3800+ would = a 2.4Ghz Venice in theory... therefore the 2.6Ghz Venice being marginally slower than the Intel leads me to believe that the Intel would be slightly quicker.

Associate
oceaness said:
Ah yes that makes sense. :)

I think I'll stick with the AMD though.
No real reason I just like AMD's :)
I know more about them.
Oh fair enough, just seemed an appropriate time to include that observation for general info really.

Associate
OP
I am interested between the newer AMD's and P4's however from past experience all my AMD's seem more responsive than my single P4, when using windows, which feels like driving an oil tanker.

Associate
The kit mentioned seems fine, except the mobo and cpu seems quite pricey..

shop around...Do ocuk forum people get a discount with ocuk.co.uk shop?..if so thet might even things up..

:p

gl

Associate
OP
Have looked around but I couldn't find the X2 3800 ceaper anywhere else.
They might have dropped in price elsewhere since I looked though.

I'm not buying it just yet, next week sometime, may look around again, but obviously quite often you save P&P by getting it from one site rather than multiple sites.

Associate
pricing today.

ocuk
Price: £174.95 (£205.57 Including VAT at 17.5%) + postage

elsewhere
£182.13 inc VAT, Delivery: FREE!

pm me and i will tell you where..I just took delivery of a 4200 x2 (manchester core) for £227 inc vat and delivery..cant get better than that...(he says waiting for everyone to jump on me saying somewhere else is cheaper still).

:D

Associate
OP
I can't PM you, Just says I'm not aloud.

Would be good to know that site as I'm trying to order this thing but OcUK seems to have horrible stock problems one thing comes in another goes out :(

Soldato
guys talking about other traders or giving info on other traders using the forums will get you banned, take it to MSN, use your trust settings to show each other.

Soldato
well i couldn't find anywhere that cheap - at least nowhere I trust with that much money :p

alas the time has come for my flexible friend to come out of hiding - just spent the better part of £300 on the following...

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ S939 512KB
S939 Athlon ULi m1695 ATX A L
80GB S300 7200RPM 8MB

plus a new SATA2 cable and a SATA power adapter for when I put together what's left of this rig into a new machine for the missus

Ideally I would have spent £600-£800 in all to get a top of the range mobo and of course would have needed a PCI-E card to go with it, also a decent kit of RAM to replace the 2x256 & 1x512 I'll be having to run in it for the time being.
Still for that money I've got a new powerful rig AND insurance for my car too - good stuff :D

Associate
OP
VeNT said:
guys talking about other traders or giving info on other traders using the forums will get you banned, take it to MSN, use your trust settings to show each other.

Yes I know, thats why, nowhere but OcUK has been mentioned.

I also found a site where I can get a 3800 X2 for £204 and free delivery but not as cheap as =IH=RePhLeX said.

I think I'll just wait till it comes back in (assuming it's comming back in)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
well i couldn't find anywhere that cheap - at least nowhere I trust with that much money :p

alas the time has come for my flexible friend to come out of hiding - just spent the better part of £300 on the following...

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ S939 512KB
S939 Athlon ULi m1695 ATX A L
80GB S300 7200RPM 8MB

plus a new SATA2 cable and a SATA power adapter for when I put together what's left of this rig into a new machine for the missus

Ideally I would have spent £600-£800 in all to get a top of the range mobo and of course would have needed a PCI-E card to go with it, also a decent kit of RAM to replace the 2x256 & 1x512 I'll be having to run in it for the time being.
Still for that money I've got a new powerful rig AND insurance for my car too - good stuff :D

AT LAST :p

A pre-emptive welcome to the X2 owners club Rich. You'll never look back :D

Stan :)

Soldato
Bigstan said:
AT LAST :p

A pre-emptive welcome to the X2 owners club Rich. You'll never look back :D
cheers Stan :D

I think Billy might have missed the bit where I said I'd just bought the kit - either that or the shock of it was just too much for him :p

here's hoping for a nice simple build :o

Back
Top Bottom