New Machine

Soldato
BigDom said:
Just for the record if PPD is more important than Gaming performance then from what I've managed so far an overclocked dual core Intel seems slightly quicker.

For example on the same Project

-- Dom - C1 -- 3800+ X2 - running stock

Min. Time / Frame : 26mn 04s - 111.59 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 37mn 09s - 78.30 ppd

-- Speedy -- 3500+ Venice running at 2.6Ghz

Min. Time / Frame : 24mn 06s - 120.70 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 26mn 38s - 109.22 ppd

-- WP C1 -- P4 Smithfield 2.6GHz @ 3.6Ghz

Min. Time / Frame : 22mn 47s - 127.67 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 23mn 00s - 126.47 ppd

A P4 Dual Core is next on my list. Thinking of getting a 2.8GHz Pressler :D Gunner push it as far as I can get it, folding stable. Should be outputting some nice numbers at the end of the overclocking ;)

Soldato
Mattus said:
w00t! I'm assuming it will be overclocked? :p
naturally - I'll be reading up on the motherboard in the mahoosive thread in the motherboards forum, gives me something to do for the next couple of days anyway :p

I'm sure the cheaper motherboard will hamper the overclocking options - just gonna have to do the best with what I can get :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Precisely why I opted for that DFI board, but it was a tricky descision that meant I had to make cuts elsewhere like only getting 2 x 512mb RAM and a cheaper graphics card. Though tbh the graphics card wont matter.

I assume your building in a case...
If you are, pscht you got it easy.

Me and my friend are going to mount this directly in a computer desk. It's gonna be a practical layout rather than a space saver hoping to maximize to the extreme on silent cooling to help push the boundaries on the overclock. Will post some piccies eventually when it's finished. :)

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
Wοt?! Wοt!? How on Earth did I miss this thread? Gha! I'm losing it. ;)

Rich, good for you. Now you can quit moaning about how you would like an X2. what are we thiking for PPD from it? 400+?

(see how I cleverly broke the sweary filter there?) :p

Nearer 250 :)

Soldato
Depends on WUs as ever! Could be anything from 250-900. Is it gonna be doing beta work? A run of the huge DGromacs could be worth 600-700ppd.

Soldato
Mattus said:
Depends on WUs as ever! Could be anything from 250-900. Is it gonna be doing beta work? A run of the huge DGromacs could be worth 600-700ppd.
yes as it will be my main rig I'll be running beta work just as soon as I know I've reached the OC limit and i'm sure it's stable, can't wait to get myself a meaty pair of DGromacs on it and watch my output fly :D

the board has overclocking options but almost no voltage control options - if I can get to 2.4GHz I'll be more than happy, I'm sure I will regret not spending more on the motherboard when it comes to overclocking but I will most likely look at getting a second-hand bundle whenever the next wave of CPU/Socket comes through and have one as a dedicated cruncher

as for ppd i'll be sure to let you know :D

oceaness said:
I assume your building in a case...
If you are, pscht you got it easy.
CM Stacker - my brother has less room in his bedroom than I have in this case :p

You're mounting yours in a computer desk?
We need pictures! :)

Back
Top Bottom