• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New monitor/gfx question

Caporegime
Been looking for a new monitor an a dx10 card for a while, an found some like just wanted to ask if it would run ok.

Was thinking:

BenQ FP241W 24"
Monitor

(Monitor will also be used for a ps3 in the future, an possibly a tv if I invest in a tuner :) (too many toys to choose :( )

Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

Card

Rest of system:

Vista 32 bit (no 64 bit drivers for my internet wireless adapter yet :( )

2gb ram geil (some value kit forget full name)

200gb wd caviar hdd sata
160gb Maxtor ide for general storage

Amd64 x2 3800+ 2 ghz

dfi lanparty ut nf4 sli-D

Thanks in advance, any suggestions that aren't too pricy will be helpfull too :p

Soldato
That monitor has a native res of 1920 x 1200 which is where a high end gfx card will be needed. Unfortunately the week link in your system is your Cpu running at 2 ghz. That would normally be a fair bottleneck but at high resolution the Gfx card will really be working hard, even more so if you add high AA/AF.
It would be worth Ocing that Cpu if you can.

Soldato
With that DFI it would be criminal not to clock it!

What cooler you got for it?

I had an Opty 165 under a big typhoon at 2.95ghz with moderate temps. Your DFI would easily push yours to 2.8ghz (if the chip can manage it). I'd at least aim for 2.6ghz if i were you! ;)

I'm getting a 24" soon too... can't wait!

Welcome to the forums by the way! :D

gt

Suspended
You could always use a a non native resolution and let monitor scale up, it looks a bit more blurry but it's not too bad. I played Fear on a non native mode and let the monitor scale up, looked fine.

Just for text/windows you'll always use native.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah just been looking at the overclocking section :D :D

Is the Toledo core good for overclocking?

The cooler is a zalman aero flower 92mm fan version, and has a 120mm akasa amber blowing on it from side pannel and is pointing straight up into the 120mm intake of the psu, so has plenty of air.

Its good to know the MB should do well :D

Soldato
Zalman's a good cooler - you should be fine for at least a 2.6ghz overclock IMO!

Get it pumped up and keep an eye on temps. Use coretemp and as long as your temps don't push past 60c under 100% orthos load you'll be fine! :D

Clock away mate! :)

Also, at 1920x1200 i'd try for a GTX rather than GTS.

gt

Caporegime
OP
For some reason no matter what the overclock after a short while the display drivers start crashing, even though its stable in orthos and they don't crash at stock speeds, reinstalled latest version an it still does it :confused:

Permabanned
Tefal said:
For some reason no matter what the overclock after a short while the display drivers start crashing, even though its stable in orthos and they don't crash at stock speeds, reinstalled latest version an it still does it :confused:

How long are you running Orthos for?

Soldato
Could be a duff graphics driver or even the card. What do you have at the moment?

A mild overclock of 2.2-2.3ghz should be very stable. What have you changed in the bios? Just make sure you're not running your DDR too fast and that the HT link is not too far over 1000mhz.

Also, have you increased the CPU voltage?

My 165 needed 1.375v to run 2.8ghz 24/7 and for 2.95ghz needed nearly 1.4v.

gt

Caporegime
OP
got 2 7600 gt (an they are a bit doggy at the best of times tbh)

rams at default just changed the clock the ht thing there was some LDT multiplier that was the only thing that looked like ht so tried that at 3x (down from x5) an still same problem.

think this would go away with the new card?

Soldato
3800 has a 10x multi if i remember correctly so for 2.5ghz you'd need the fsb set to 250mhz. It would follow that you'd need the LDT multi value set to 4 for a nice round 1000mhz.

At this point your ram should be set to 4/5 the speed of your fsb to keep it at 200mhz (ddr 400) and a small voltage hike might help the processor achieve a stable clock too. Is the stock voltage of the 3800 1.35v? Might be worth pushing it by 0.02ish volts but no more unless you need it for the clock.

Then check temps and try a stability run. If you've had issues with the gpu's before i'd certainly look at them first. Maybe try running just one for the time being and see if your stability returns.

Final thing... what PSU are you using. 2 graphics cards, 2hdd's and an overclocked cpu all take enrgy - might possibly be your PSU causing probs.

gt

Caporegime
OP
using a 580w hiper psu

where would be the ram frrequenct the onlything ive got like that is fsb:ram (might be other way round )with the options of auto or x1 to x10

Soldato
Tefal said:
using a 580w hiper psu

where would be the ram frrequenct the onlything ive got like that is fsb:ram (might be other way round )with the options of auto or x1 to x10
Not sure. I had a DFI SLi-DR and don't remember that option.

I'll have a search on the net and get back to you mate!

Incidentally - not to worry you but the hipers have a reputation for failing. Your instability could be a sign of a failure so it may be worth considering a new supply. The corsair 520 and 620's are highly rated on the forum.

gt

Caporegime
OP
Its only ever been problems with the gfx drivers so i think it might be the cards, they are factory overclocked apparently an I've had them for some time so they might just be starting to die, but if i get the 8800 this shouldn't be a problem any more right?

thanks for going to the trouble to help :)

Soldato
Tefal said:
Its only ever been problems with the gfx drivers so i think it might be the cards, they are factory overclocked apparently an I've had them for some time so they might just be starting to die, but if i get the 8800 this shouldn't be a problem any more right?

thanks for going to the trouble to help :)
No probs pal!

Think it's looking more like that. I would try it with just one of the cards to see if you still have problems and i would definately consider getting a decent replacement PSU just in case.

I've been looking in the SLi-D's manual on the DFI site and it seems in the DRAM settings menu in Bios you can simply set the ram frequancy rather than it having a divider.

Here's the link: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/lputnf4%2084750510.pdf

Check out page 105 & 106.

Might be worth checking that out. :)

gt

Caporegime
OP
ok cheers just its a hassle to change it to single got to pull out 6 multi jumpers with the very dodgy tool they give you, to change it to single mode.

Soldato
Tefal said:
ok cheers just its a hassle to change it to single got to pull out 6 multi jumpers with the very dodgy tool they give you, to change it to single mode.
Oh yeah! Forgot about those! :( Bit faffy - wouldn't blame you for not bothering TBH!

Think it's probably the cards though.

The DFI boards are normally rock solid and as long as everything in the BIOS is set up fine it should be ok.

Let me know how you get on!

Incidentally, when are you getting the 8800?

gt

Caporegime
OP
Don't know yet about the 8800 this thread was meant to make sure if it was an ok selection :p

But as the monitor is hopefully the only one i'll have to buy for the next few years i don't mind too much not being able to use it at native res right away.

I'll try with one card tonight see if that sorts it.

Back
Top Bottom