New motor time - Honda Civic Type R, anoy have?

Associate
well to comment further i own a CTR, before i bought it i was 96% sure on a 182, almost purchased but thought no ill try the CTR, it was 1.5k more than the 182. The 182 felt planted and agile, but no more than the CTR. Very similar, but the CTR was built better, looked better and had the Honda badge which said to me reliable. I didnt race them on a track but i cant image there would be anything in them so that 5th gear review doesnt seem that biased

So to the OP - drive both and seem which one suits you / your driving style

Last edited:
Soldato
I've recently got a FN2 Type R, took some getting used to compared to the Turbo'd cars I've had for the last 10 + years but am enjoying it now. Don't know about the MPG on the older model but I cant get 35+ out of mine on a run and average including town, around 31-32.

Permabanned
Well it is in all honesty, a 182 with cup the suspension cup pack is just about perfection in the handling department for a small hatch, that 5th gear review showed it totally the opposite. Just seems heavily biased towards the Honda that all.

Associate
MPG wise the EP3 TypeR easily sees me in the 30's if driving sensibly. Obviously when your reving over 7k rpms most of the time your not going to see these figures but it can be a pretty eco drive if you want it to.

Well it is in all honesty, a 182 with cup the suspension cup pack is just about perfection in the handling department for a small hatch, that 5th gear review showed it totally the opposite. Just seems heavily biased towards the Honda that all.

At the end of the day comparing these 2 cars will never hit a solid 'which is best' conclusion. They are as good as each other, depends on what you want really. The 182 has more toys, like cruise control, xenos, auto wipers and all that doesnt it so that may sway you. I could rav on all day why i prefer the CTR but i wont because it will stir the common argument each to their own and all that, drive both cars see which you like.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That’s fine, I shall stick to more factual based reviews like EVO and various other magazines than some rubbish channel 5 entertainment show, you know the cars they give away are given to them of course they are going to be showing a TypeR in a better light after all it is entertainment.

Associate
OP
Thanks again everyone for the input, I cant believe this is a computer forum and im getting all this great advice.

A friend had the 172 and although it went well I just am not aure on another clio. I think I am just going to try the Honda. I have never had a Honda and for 7k I really think a Type R is a Bargain.

I will get looking next weekend and see what I can find, I am hoping to stick to around 7k limit and get the facelift model.

I would like one with no more than 60k but we will see.

Permabanned
Hey please test drive a 182 with the cup pack :D Just for a bit of experience in one, then if you don’t like them you can say you tried one. Please don’t be a badge snob because at the end of the day it is a French car but a bloody good one at that! The 182 is much more improved that a early 172.
Maybe I’m being a little biased toward the little French motor! Hahaha but seriously until you have tried one please don’t discredit one.

Soldato
Tiff is a tool to be fair, he goes sideways while trying to complete the fastest lap possible, if you're going sideways, you're losing speed, fact. The guy doesn't ever seem to drive properly.

I'd love to see a comparison between an EK9 and a 182.

My money would be on the EK9, slightly better power to weight ratio and the LSD to give it the advantage.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16106498 said:
As I said then ;)

If you think the Type-R is going to be some sort of economical wonder hatch you have another thing coming!

You'd be suprised! The vast majority of my driving is fast flowing A roads and a bit of motorway driving. Over the 3.5 years I had my EP3 facelift Type R I averaged 32mpg (over 175 tanks).

A lot better than what my ST is giving me!

Soldato
You'd be suprised! The vast majority of my driving is fast flowing A roads and a bit of motorway driving. Over the 3.5 years I had my EP3 facelift Type R I averaged 32mpg (over 175 tanks).

A lot better than what my ST is giving me!

I don't know how you managed it as I probably averaged 10mpg less than that over 2 years of ownership. Do you never use VTEC?

Associate
Most of my trips are 25 miles plus so the engine gets warmed up nicely. I did make a lot of use of the VTEC but there comes a point with straight A roads that you can't make any more use of it, unless you like driving everywhere at 140mph!

If I was doing city driving or twisty B roads it would have been a different story.

With the EP3 Type R able to do around 100mph in 6th before VTEC comes in means you can do long trips with some good MPG figures.

The ST on the other hand you are spooling the turbo in 6th at 70mph so you can't.

Associate
I've now driven my FN2 Type R for around 11k, and the average for that time has been 31mpg - all mixed driving both A and B roads, with plenty of Vtec!

Associate
Most of my trips are 25 miles plus so the engine gets warmed up nicely. I did make a lot of use of the VTEC but there comes a point with straight A roads that you can't make any more use of it, unless you like driving everywhere at 140mph!

If I was doing city driving or twisty B roads it would have been a different story.

With the EP3 Type R able to do around 100mph in 6th before VTEC comes in means you can do long trips with some good MPG figures.

The ST on the other hand you are spooling the turbo in 6th at 70mph so you can't.

Even so, thats still very impressive figures, I'd love to be able to control my right foot enough to get those :p

Oh and it's more like 125mph in 6th before you hit the VTEC, as I found out in Germany last year :D

Soldato
The 182 is by far the best hot hatch out of the two but ultimately the Civic Type R is better. Buy the civic unless you feel you can live with the clio.

Soldato
I've never owned either car but have driven both a few times. The Honda everytime for me, the Clio just has a driving position I cannot seem to get on with. I'd never spend good money on a Clio, just don't seem well built.

Soldato
MPG in a VTEC motor is what you make of it really.

I can get ~340 miles out of a tank on motorway driving with more than enough VTEC to keep me content but can also get 160 miles out of the same tank off the motorway.

Back
Top Bottom