1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New N70 firmware

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Guv, 15 May 2006.

1. Guv

Mobster

I now have the N70 version 5 firmware and I thought I'd let everyone know that it's a big improvement. The most noticeable being the speed the menu loads. When I had the version 2 firmware I would have to wait ~5 seconds for the menu to load but now it's instant.

2. Bigsy

Mobster

You pay to get it done? Or just a very friendly service centre?

3. Gadge

Wise Guy

is the n70 a decent phone? worth getting one now or get the n80 instead?

4. A2Z

Sgarrista

when i went to a carphone warehouse a few months ago to get latest firmware...they said i had to pay..and show them proof of purchase etc etc, is this still the case everywhere?

5. Guv

Mobster

I knew someone that could do it for me so it was free

6. A2Z

Sgarrista

email in trust! :p

7. Altered Corpse

Hitman

If it's in warranty a Nokia service centre will do it for free.

8. A2Z

Sgarrista

thats not what carphonewarehouse told me!

9. jhmaeng

Wise Guy

You probably got a n00b advisor. I've upgrade the software on my various Sony Ericsson phones (they are authorized service centres for SE as well) several times through CPW Repairs, and each time it has been without any charges as long as it was purchased in the last 12 months.

10. Dolph

Man of Honour

Not necessarily. As a service centre they can only upgrade you to the next approved firmware for your network provider. If you want them to do anything else (eg update an Orange handset to the latest unbranded firmware) then it's not a warranty issue (and in fact most service centres won't touch such things at all because it puts their SC contract at risk)

To those earlier in the thread, it's also worth noting that the main reason people notice their phone speeding up after a firmware update is nothing to do with the firmware, and everything to do with formatting and defragmentation of the file system as part of the update. You can just format the phone to get those gains.

It's rather akin to formatting your C drive and installing a fresh copy of windows, then installing a new update and claiming it's magically become faster than the 2 year old install you had previously.

11. Guv

Mobster

I formatted my phone and restored factory settings many times before updating the firmware and it never made as much difference as the new firmware has made.

Obviously what you have said is partly true as formatting the phone will make it run faster, but this new firmware seems to take it a step further and it improves the phone more than just formatting will do.

12. Zico

Mobster

How do you find out which version you have?

My father just picked up an N70 on T-Mobile (locked) and I am interested to find out which version it's running.

Also on a side topic, how do you get the damn thing to turn on auto keypad lock after it's not been used for a period of time??

**Edit**
    Ok, I've found the answer to my first question (had it open in another window after I did a search for N70 on the forums).

*#0000#

Currently on:
    V 2.0537.1.7
    18-09-05
    RM-84

Anybody here know if T-Mobile use the latest firmware yet. If they do then I will pop into the local CWP and get it upgraded.

Last edited: 30 May 2006