New neighbours get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday morning... argh!

Soldato
There's no way someone getting a delivery at 7am would count as a statuary nuisance lol

I used to live in a cul de sac and one of the other residents had a battered range rover with the squeakiest belt I've ever heard. In the middle of the day it's not an issue but he used to work shifts and often was coming and going in the early hours.
When it was hot and windows were open it always used to wake me up.

So surely you know how the OP feels. I’d be annoyed as well. The same goes for barking dogs that bark 24/7.

I mean if the delivery driver didn’t throw crates around I’m sure OP wouldn’t bat/open an eye lid.

What’s wrong with being considerate?

Caporegime
So surely you know how the OP feels. I’d be annoyed as well. The same goes for barking dogs that bark 24/7.

I mean if the delivery driver didn’t throw crates around I’m sure OP wouldn’t bat/open an eye lid.

What’s wrong with being considerate?

Seemingly you're completely unreasonable. Being considerate to others is just plain daft. Even more so if you do it and expect reciprocation.

Soldato
Seemingly you're completely unreasonable. Being considerate to others is just plain daft. Even more so if you do it and expect reciprocation.
The problem is that, this definition of reasonable, is quite frankly, unreasonable.

And I say that not to be a contrary-Mary, but as someone empathising with neighbor that Karen is upset with. Imagine asking them politely to re-arrange their delivery slightly later, without any idea as to why they have it when they do, and then making that person feel uncomfortable if
1) they are unable to
2) they invoke another infraction through an early morning IKEA delivery, or appliance delivery.

It is unfair to make people feel like crap over something that is formally deemed acceptable. Especially when Karen has only lived there for a week and plans to do extensive building work in the near future :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Keep telling yourself that.

Noise complaints etc. get looked at seriously where I work and probably same with Sainsbury's - we had someone send like a 20 page essay on how in one case it was "disturbing" the wildlife, etc. (mostly related to headlights as much noise) which was mostly ranting by someone not quite right up top but they still had a look at the situation and made some changes.

Soldato
OP
Oh.. Erm.. What's the point in this thread then?
Just for the lols ;)

I used to live in a cul de sac and one of the other residents had a battered range rover with the squeakiest belt I've ever heard. In the middle of the day it's not an issue but he used to work shifts and often was coming and going in the early hours.
When it was hot and windows were open it always used to wake me up.
So did you say anything, or just simmer with rage every time? I just don't understand why people can't comprehend discussing these things with their neighbours. Maybe I'm the only one that lives somewhere that a slight disagreement doesn't turn into a raging fist fight or something :o

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't a set of earplugs just resolve the issue?
Having done 5 years of nightshifts I know that sleeping in earplugs is horrible. If you can get to sleep whilst feeling like someone is sticking a pencil in your ear-drum, you have dreams about bursting your ear-drum/losing said earplug in your ear forever :)p) and then waking up with earache anyway. Just no. Hate the things.

Soldato
The problem is that, this definition of reasonable, is quite frankly, unreasonable.

And I say that not to be a contrary-Mary, but as someone empathising with neighbor that Karen is upset with. Imagine asking them politely to re-arrange their delivery slightly later, without any idea as to why they have it when they do, and then making that person feel uncomfortable if
1) they are unable to
2) they invoke another infraction through an early morning IKEA delivery, or appliance delivery.

It is unfair to make people feel like crap over something that is formally deemed acceptable. Especially when Karen has only lived there for a week and plans to do extensive building work in the near future :rolleyes:

Don’t ask the neighbour, ask Sainsburys to tell their employees to consider that people may not want to wake up to the echo of crates being thrown about and doors being slammed.

I’d be less annoyed if the noise was unavoidable but why would anyone think it’s perfectly reasonable to make so much noise at such a time? I don’t care if it’s 6:59 or 7:01 or if you’ve been up since 4am, be courteous.

I used to start work early and had a louder than average car. So when I left early I avoided idiling, I avoided heavy throttle application and drove about as quietly as possible. The same when returning late at night, sometimes coasting in neutral.

Soldato
Don’t ask the neighbour, ask Sainsburys to tell their employees to consider that people may not want to wake up to the echo of crates being thrown about and doors being slammed.

I’d be less annoyed if the noise was unavoidable but why would anyone think it’s perfectly reasonable to make so much noise at such a time? I don’t care if it’s 6:59 or 7:01 or if you’ve been up since 4am, be courteous.

I used to start work early and had a louder than average car. So when I left early I avoided idiling, I avoided heavy throttle application and drove about as quietly as possible. The same when returning late at night, sometimes coasting in neutral.
I made the same point many posts ago but Karen said he knew better. Your point about shifts is irrelevant. My dad worked nights for 30 years, he adjusted his schedule and habits, not the rest of the world.

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if they didn't. They'll just find somewhere else to deliver first where no-one cares. Nobody want's to explain to their boss why they didn't do anything about a noise complaint that results in a needless call from the Environmental Health.
Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Soldato
Have you tried closing your windows at night/in the morning rather than complaining about your neighbour? It sounds like your problem.

If the issue for the windows is heat in the house, buy an AC unit?

If you're that concerned by road noise (another thread) and small inconveniences like this could also look at acoustic glazing/triple glazing?

Soldato
OP
I know the company I work for would do that. There's no reason for me not to believe that Sainsbury's wouldn't do exactly the same thing.
I'm guessing you don't want to say who you work for, but is it one of the big supermarket/delivery companies? Curious about what you're saying even though everyone else is dismissing it :)

Have you tried closing your windows at night/in the morning rather than complaining about your neighbour? It sounds like your problem.
It's my problem because a neighbour is doing something noisy at an unreasonable time in the morning? Oookaaay. For all we know it annoys the heck out of the other neighbours too but maybe they're too scared to say something.

If I were to stand out in the street in front of his bedroom window at 10:30pm when he's (presumably) in bed, playing the banjo and singing. Would that be my problem or his?

Soldato
If it really bothers you that much, i'd start by moaning at Sainsbury's - hopefully with the result they either amend their schedule a bit or even just tell the drivers to try and be quiet on early deliveries.

Even a casual mention to the neighbours is liable to get your card marked as the guy who just moved in and is 'already complaining' about the way other people have happily been going about their business - whilst there's an element of 'who cares what other people think', there's also the potential that for something genuinely bothersome in the future like building work or similar, they'll dismiss any complaints as 'that guy who even moans about shopping deliveries'.

Whether you go about by indirectly commenting, asking, demanding - whatever - you're still the guy that's just moved in, and will be perceived as moaning and wanting other people to amend their schedules to suit your lie in.

Soldato
I'm guessing you don't want to say who you work for, but is it one of the big supermarket/delivery companies? Curious about what you're saying even though everyone else is dismissing it :)

No, I don't work for anyone like that, but I have, in the long and distanced past, worked for Sainsbury's at head office. Like every large organisation I've worked for, the general day to day involves getting your job done and not allowing problems to progress to where anyone on a higher pay grade feels they have to get involved, or worse, is involved by an outside party.

If I were you, I'd go your local Sainsbury's. Tell customer service what your problem is and ask them how to get in touch with the delivery guys.

Either that or learn to live with it. I agree with @Kenai, if you talk to your neighbour about it, it's likely you'll just end up being tagged as being awkward.

Soldato
If I were to stand out in the street in front of his bedroom window at 10:30pm when he's (presumably) in bed, playing the banjo and singing. Would that be my problem or his?
Don't make this everybody's problem. No one likes banjos, at any time of day.

You know what they say - a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't.

Soldato
It's my problem because a neighbour is doing something noisy at an unreasonable time in the morning? Oookaaay. For all we know it annoys the heck out of the other neighbours too but maybe they're too scared to say something.

If you had your supermarket deliveres at 10.30 I don't see the issue. One of my old neighbours used to have one around that time, and yes there was a slight noise but once I realised what it was I wasn't bothered.

Back
Top Bottom