New neighbours get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday morning... argh!

Soldato
People must have had vastly different upbringings to think making a noise at the weekend before 9am is acceptable. Just sheer ignorance and stubborn mindedness really. But hey, that's the way society is heading, every man, woman and however else you want to identify yourself as for themselves.

I trust if you ever need to use your car on the weekend before 9am you take the handbrake off and roll it to a non-residential area before starting the engine.

Some ludicrous views in this thread. Move to a residential area and get upset at people doing normal residential things at normal residential times.

Caporegime
I trust if you ever need to use your car on the weekend before 9am you take the handbrake off and roll it to a non-residential area before starting the engine.

Some ludicrous views in this thread. Move to a residential area and get upset at people doing normal residential things at normal residential times.

Except its not a normal residential time. 7am is literally the cut off as being legally classed as anti-social hours.

Man of Honour
Except its not a normal residential time. 7am is literally the cut off as being legally classed as anti-social hours.
So it's ok then. The rule isn't "7am but go easy at the start and obviously don't take the michael by using it right at the start, give people some time to gradually get warmed up", the rule is 6:59 = not okay, 7:00 = okay.

You don't get in trouble if your driving licence is almost expired, you can buy stuff from a shop if it's only just opened this minute, you can bid on an auction until the moment the hammer falls...

Soldato
As a society we've decided that from 7am until 11pm it's acceptable to make a reasonable amount of noise, that's really all there is to it. Sure some entitled people will want to have a cry about it as their lifestyle doesn't fit in with that but they just need to deal with it.

I have a young child so am up early and similarly when the neighbours are in their hotub 'till 11pm it's a little bit annoying but that's life.

it's not like we're talking about people cutting flagstones with a 2 stroke disk cutter non stop from 7am ever weekend, in fact im sure getting deliveries pre 7am would be deemed totally fine to almost everyone as they make so little noise in the grand scheme of things.

Man of Honour
As a society we've decided that from 7am until 11pm it's acceptable to make a reasonable amount of noise, that's really all there is to it. Sure some entitled people will want to have a cry about it as their lifestyle doesn't fit in with that but they just need to deal with it.

I have a young child so am up early and similarly when the neighbours are in their hotub 'till 11pm it's a little bit annoying but that's life.

it's not like we're talking about people cutting flagstones with a 2 stroke disk cutter non stop from 7am ever weekend, in fact im sure getting deliveries pre 7am would be deemed totally fine to almost everyone.
Yep and FWIW, I wouldn't mow my lawns or fire up an angle grinder at 7am either - but schedule a delivery? I wouldn't even consider that as a potential problem.

Caporegime
So it's ok then. The rule isn't "7am but go easy at the start and obviously don't take the michael by using it right at the start, give people some time to gradually get warmed up", the rule is 6:59 = not okay, 7:00 = okay.

You don't get in trouble if your driving licence is almost expired, you can buy stuff from a shop if it's only just opened this minute, you can bid on an auction until the moment the hammer falls...

No, it's not. The law is more nuanced than that. If a repeated noisy activity is carried out near unsociable hours then it is also deemed to be unsociable. An example that I recently dealt with was us facing prosecution for having skips collected at 0800 every Monday and Thursday.

Soldato
OP
Looks like you guys had fun in this thread yesterday :D
No legal recourse to me means acceptable and well within their rights. Nothing you can do about it.
There is no law against getting a delivery at 7am.
There's a vast difference between something being legal and something being acceptable. As other posters mention just because you can, doesn't mean you should, especially when it comes to playing nice with your neighbours. You're legally entitled to blast music until 22:59 any night of the week, or have large parties. No? But if you did, you'd soon find your neighbours complaining. This is no different. It'#s not a question of law, it's a question of being neighbourly.

Completely agree. People who think it’s ok to wake up their neighbours at the weekend are odious. You get 2 days a week of free sleep, and someone ruins it.
Exactly. These neighbours are either not working, or working from home (as we see them around all the time). So exactly what's wrong with the other 5 days in the week? :confused:

People must have had vastly different upbringings to think making a noise at the weekend before 9am is acceptable. Just sheer ignorance and stubborn mindedness really. But hey, that's the way society is heading, every man, woman and however else you want to identify yourself as for themselves.
Yeah. Hilarious to see everyone calling me entitled, yet they're the ones insisting they'd do the same and **** everyone else! That's almost the dictionary definition of entitled :rolleyes:

He lives in central London.
I live in zone 3. It's not central London by any stretch of the imagination. Also funny to see people assuming that everyone who lives in London must be next to 3 lanes of traffic flying by 24/7 and we couldn't possibly ever get peace and quiet. I'm sure there's areas like that but this ain't one. It's a nice, quiet suburb. Besides the 7am deliveries.

Still wondering how a delivery can wake someone from London.
To clarify, it's a narrow road with cars parked either side. So the last couple of times the guy overshot the neighbours house and proceeded to reverse back down the road for 50m. So we all had the 'white sound' alarm...

Also loving the black and white here. People really think I'm going to march over to my neighbour and demand he stops? And he's going to tell me to **** off? lol, hardly... I know how to deal with people. I'm sure he knows how to deal with people. Maybe a subtle mention if I bump into him "Oh was that your delivery early on Saturday. Oh that's too early for me I was still in bed" etc. is the way to play it at first. Something like that. I'll probably leave it for now, see how it pans out, if it continues and is definitely going to be a regular thing. I dunno. Maybe I'll book our Ocado shop for 11pm on a Wed. Because ya know, we can... /sarcasm

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like you guys had fun in this thread yesterday :D

There's a vast difference between something being legal and something being acceptable. As other posters mention just because you can, doesn't mean you should, especially when it comes to playing nice with your neighbours. You're legally entitled to blast music until 22:59 any night of the week, or have large parties. No? But if you did, you'd soon find your neighbours complaining. This is no different. It'#s not a question of law, it's a question of being neighbourly.

Exactly. These neighbours are either not working, or working from home (as we see them around all the time). So exactly what's wrong with the other 5 days in the week? :confused:

Yeah. Hilarious to see everyone calling me entitled, yet they're the ones insisting they'd do the same and **** everyone else! That's almost the dictionary definition of entitled :rolleyes:

I live in zone 3. It's not central London by any stretch of the imagination. Also funny to see people assuming that everyone who lives in London must be next to 3 lanes of traffic flying by 24/7 and we couldn't possibly ever get peace and quiet. I'm sure there's areas like that but this ain't one. It's a nice, quiet suburb. Besides the 7am deliveries.

To clarify, it's a narrow road with cars parked either side. So the last couple of times the guy overshot the neighbours house and proceeded to reverse back down the road for 50m. So we all had the 'white sound' alarm...

Also loving the black and white here. People really think I'm going to march over to my neighbour and demand he stops? And he's going to tell me to **** off? lol, hardly... I know how to deal with people. I'm sure he knows how to deal with people. Maybe a subtle mention if I bump into him "Oh was that your delivery early on Saturday. Oh that's too early for me I was still in bed" etc. is the way to play it at first. Something like that. I'll probably leave it for now, see how it pans out, if it continues and is definitely going to be a regular thing. I dunno. Maybe I'll book our Ocado shop for 11pm on a Wed. Because ya know, we can... /sarcasm
I’d have absolutely no problem with my neighbour getting a shopping delivery at 11 either.

Soldato
No, it's not. The law is more nuanced than that. If a repeated noisy activity is carried out near unsociable hours then it is also deemed to be unsociable. An example that I recently dealt with was us facing prosecution for having skips collected at 0800 every Monday and Thursday.

Yep, the 11pm-7am "night" time thing is just guideline, but cut and dried if someone makes a complaint. People are free to complain about stuff outside of that and see if someone one from the council takes it up.

I agree with this. There's nothing much more entitled than thinking **** you, I'll do what I like and then calling other people entitled who think that might be offensive!

I wouldn't bother with the neighbour. I'd just tell Sainsbury's that you find 7am too early to deliver to your neighbour. They'll stop doing it. Problem solved. Asking your neighbour to do something else is relying on them to be both cooperative and essentially ignorant of any disturbance they're causing and then they'll maybe see it as antagonistic if they don't cooperate and you then go to Sainsbury's and ask them not to deliver so early. You'll end up being the bad neighbour.

It's Sainsbury's who you have an issue with. Not what time your neighbour wants his shopping delivered.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is that many people don't react like civilised adults when spoken to, even politely.

And many people do. Maybe it's a Southern thing but most people I've dealt with are decent.

"hi how are you doing, do you mind if I ask you about your sainsbury delivery? I appreciate it might not be possible but is there any chance you could put it back an hour to 8-9am as their van is quite noisy. I understand if you can't. I just thought I'd ask ".

Words to that effect. Seems common sense to me.

Caporegime
And many people do. Maybe it's a Southern thing but most people I've dealt with are decent.

"hi how are you doing, do you mind if I ask you about your sainsbury delivery? I appreciate it might not be possible but is there any chance you could put it back an hour to 8-9am as their van is quite noisy. I understand if you can't. I just thought I'd ask ".

Words to that effect. Seems common sense to me.

Yeah, I think you're far too hopeful there! Just look at the replies to this thread for people's attitudes towards being considerate to others.

Soldato
Yeah, I think you're far too hopeful there! Just look at the replies to this thread for people's attitudes towards being considerate to others.

Yep. And then like I said, you do something about it if they're uncooperative and all of a sudden, you're the bad guy. You'll get the blame for his shopping being late whilst he's pacing his hallway at 7:08am eagerly awaiting his weekly delivery of tinned anchovies.

Sainsbury's won't be like that and the neighbour won't need to know why.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maybe just behave like an adult and talk to the neighbour and see if they are flexible.

Everyone is scared to talk to people these days and instead just rush to a forum to whinge.
Well if you read my OP and follow-ups that's exactly what I've intended to do. It's all the entitled nutcases on here that are coming out with nonsense like "Oh if my neighbour demanded I change my shopping delivery I'd tell them to **** right off and poo through their letterbox" etc. because clearly they don't know how to deal with people IRL! I've only ever suggested talking to my neighbour in an adult way thank you very much.. :confused:

Highly doubt any supermarket will stop delivering at 7am because of a noise complaint.
Yeah I'm slightly confused by this. Why and how would Sainsbury's ever stop making that slot available to my neighbour? I don't understand that at all. I get the idea though, just can't see it happening. Although I would argue that if I've respectfully asked my neighbour to stop doing something because it bothers me, they're the bad guy if they insist on continuing doing it without very good reason. I just don't hear a very good reason as to why they can't get their early slot on any other day bar the weekend. Or get a slightly later slot. Meh.

Back
Top Bottom