New Neogeo?

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
I have no idea why people don't like the Neo Geo X? Great handheld and brilliant joystick. Nice collection of games too. No problem with emulation here.

Emulation wasn't accurate. Sound had major issues. Screen tearing and really bad scaling.
Widescreen LCD on something that only has 4x3 games? Really? Also the screens resolution was pretty iffy and didn't help with the scaling issues.

But, yes, the microswitched stick on the handheld was wonderful, and the arcade stick really was superb. It was the software that really let it down.

Emulation looks good. Hooray!
Controls... Analogue-ish stick and cheap buttons? Boo!

So, kinda the opposite way round of the NeoGeo X then.

Shame the Japanese version has the correct colour buttons and the international version doesn't. But, I think I'm going to hunt down an Japanese version and also a international one and mod it.

Repaint to look like a proper neogeo arcade cab, illuminated marquee, paint the buttons to the correct colours and hopefully microswitch the stick and buttons. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
And his teardown is up.

Looks like a standard analogue thumbstick for the joystick unfortunately. Means no easy microswitching. Unless someone produces a replacement control board, which looks possible. Rest looks definitely hackable.

Didn't pull the screen so we don't know what the specs are there. I'm sure someone will at some point.

Man of Honour
OP
Ashens has his review up. Won't link as a little bit sweary (It's Ashens after all).

But essentially: Main unit good. Screen great. Controls meh. Hdmi output dreadful. Controllers terrible because not microswitched.

So close yet again SNK.... this time you've gone the other way. Emulation is great, controls are not.

Thumbsticks for joysticks.... what were they thinking!

Man of Honour
OP
We might see a modding scene for these with microswitches etc?

Control panel in the unit is separate, so it's not entirely unreasonable to think that someone will create a microswitched stick and buttons for it. Hopefully they'd also create coloured buttons for it too, just like the japanese version has.

Joypad...Complete replacement board needed, so reverse engineering the lot. They'd also need to change the buttons to the correct places! *grumble*

Looks wicked. Watching that YouTube vid brought back some old memories. Love the old games :) I’m in.

Watch the video Ashens stuck up last night. It's not all sweetness and light. To the point that there's better ways to play Neogeo games on a TV. Just using the unit itself is good, but as there's a lot of 2 player games it's a bit of a waste.

Soldato
Emulation wasn't accurate. Sound had major issues. Screen tearing and really bad scaling.
Widescreen LCD on something that only has 4x3 games? Really? Also the screens resolution was pretty iffy and didn't help with the scaling issues.

But, yes, the microswitched stick on the handheld was wonderful, and the arcade stick really was superb. It was the software that really let it down.

What a load of crap. What emulation are you comparing it to? The official Neo Geo CD used emulation, and the 161 in 1 carts. I've got a Neo Geo AES, MVS consolized, UK arcade cabinet, CDZ, top loading CD and a fair few games for all. The X is better then the 161-1 cart i use in my arcade. The handheld is solid with amazing battery life, screen, joystick, buttons and then you get a perfect(a bit lighter) AES joystick replica.

You don't know what you are talking about and just follow the rest of the mindless haters.

SNK probably pulled out because they wanted to make more money selling their own thing, this, which looks cute but I cannot see myself playing it. it just looks awkward to use unless you have a table. I'll buy one, maybe both versions to test and keep for my collection.

Man of Honour
OP
What a load of crap. What emulation are you comparing it to? The official Neo Geo CD used emulation, and the 161 in 1 carts. I've got a Neo Geo AES, MVS consolized, UK arcade cabinet, CDZ, top loading CD and a fair few games for all. The X is better then the 161-1 cart i use in my arcade. The handheld is solid with amazing battery life, screen, joystick, buttons and then you get a perfect(a bit lighter) AES joystick replica.

You don't know what you are talking about and just follow the rest of the mindless haters.

SNK probably pulled out because they wanted to make more money selling their own thing, this, which looks cute but I cannot see myself playing it. it just looks awkward to use unless you have a table. I'll buy one, maybe both versions to test and keep for my collection.

Fanboy much? ;)

Alrighty then. Lets compare it to the fan made emulators for pretty much any other system over the years, PC, PSP, WII, and so on. Even the official releases on the Google Play Store and Steam are running emulation. At the moment I'm playing on a

Screen was the wrong aspect ratio and the resolution was too far off (Neogeo is 320x244 in 4x3 native, screen was 480x272 in 16x9 - Just wrong, set to 4x3 it's 362x272... Still very wrong.) Screen response time was too low. Caused scaling and tearing issues. Although the scaling was a software issue as well especially when using the HDMI output.
Emulation improved with the update, that required a special cable *sigh* but was still not good enough for an officially licensed thing. Same with the AtGames megadrive items. Internals were good enough, Dingoo A320 essentially iirc. So should have been better, as the Dingoo got virtually spot on emulation. But the audio was not emulated correctly with pitch shifts or just slow audio. Even worse, the left and right channels were swapped through the HDMI output with no way to fix it. Great job guys.... Given that it's running FBAlpha inside with known hardware, there's no way it should have been released in that state. Using the composite connection improved things, but then you just have composite video.

Not sure where you're getting amazing battery life from. 3 hours as advertised, that was not amazing. My PSP averages 5 hours and that's nearly a decade older than the NeoGeoX. Oddly the scaling issues are significantly less on a modded PSP, that's just software as the screen resolution is the same on the PSP and NeoGeoX.

On the plus side, the controls on the unit were great. Properly good job there. The stick was damn close. I replaced the spring in my stick to make it stiffer, much better. Also switched to the Unibios, which was easy in my case as I had an early one with the SD card internally.

SNK sold a licence to Tommo who got within a gnats todger of making a great device. But software let it down. Shame.

Man of Honour
OP
Take a wild guess? Oooh. People criticised the NeoGeoX and any sense of humour has been lost.

You are the only person that I know of that thinks the NeoGeoX is perfect.

I would much rather get on with consolising my 2 slot MVS and spending the £400 on the decent flash cart for home play. Or stick with the PSP3000 or Vita for mobile play.

Soldato
Take a wild guess? Oooh. People criticised the NeoGeoX and any sense of humour has been lost.

You are the only person that I know of that thinks the NeoGeoX is perfect.

I would much rather get on with consolising my 2 slot MVS and spending the £400 on the decent flash cart for home play. Or stick with the PSP3000 or Vita for mobile play.

Good luck with your 2 slot. the mvs is pretty good for collecting, look out for kits, they are brilliant if you have the room and some are really cheap compared to their AES counterparts and what they originally cost :) collecting history.

Man of Honour
OP
Good luck with your 2 slot. the mvs is pretty good for collecting, look out for kits, they are brilliant if you have the room and some are really cheap compared to their AES counterparts and what they originally cost :) collecting history.

It's on my list of things to do. Once the shed is done it'll be pulled out of storage and converted. Already had a Unibios in it, probably way out of date by now. Has parts of a loom. But no controls or PSU. But they're both easy enough to sort out. May try to integrate the PSU and an OSSC to the unit.

The cart price difference is a very good reason for converting a MVS board. Metal Slug for instance. Still way over £2k for a good AES cart. MVS... £50ish.

Man of Honour
OP
MetalJesusRocks has his NeoGeo video up too.

He's not overly impressed either.
According to SNK, making making microswitched controls.. "is very hard to make"

The change of button layout still annoys me. Why do that? Just nuts.

Back
Top Bottom