New "old" parts and peripherals etc.

Soldato
Happy new year to everyone.

Bit of a strange one this, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

A work colleague has offered me a job lot of stuff he's had stored for coming up to 4 years. He's been hanging on to it for a move to a bigger house which sadly never happened and is now on hold. It's all brand new, boxed and sealed. It includes a 24 port gigabit switch, a couple of high end monitors, a blu-ray player and a very nice set of 5.1 speakers. He's not exactly giving it away, but we've come up with what I think is a fair price.

The thing that slightly bothers me is how long it will last. Its been stored properly and hasn't been in a garage or anything like that, but will the fact that its already 4 years old mean that components like capacitors will have aged and the equipment won't have as long a lifespan as something bought brand new today?

Thanks for advice.

Soldato
I'd argue the switch, Blu-ray and speakers are the sorts of thing that last ages. Should be fine. The monitors may be more sensitive but worth a punt. I have plenty of old monitors from pre-1080p days that still work. Then again i also have 2-3 dead monitors versus very little other dead electronics...

Soldato
OP
Thanks, much appreciated. I've decided to give it a go as chances are that if the equipment was fine 4 years ago it should still be.

Back
Top Bottom