New (or used) car - £26k budget

Associate
Hi there - i had posted a similar thread a while back but circumstances have slightly changed since then.

I'm debating with myself (and trying to find something that convinces me of which way to go) as to whether to buy new or used. One of the options is to buy used from the UK and ship the vehicle year (it's a pretty standard practice here; Brexit permitting).

- My budget is around £26k (max.; £22k would be ideal);
- I live in Malta; so no long drives in motorways; average about 10k miles/year;
- No family (or plans for one soon) so no need for anything too big;

So far I've test-driven the new Peugeot 208 (didn't like the feel) and the new Ford Puma ST Line (which is by far the favourite so far).

With such a budget, should I go new? Why/why not?

Man of Honour
Keep suggesting cars for sale over a thousand miles and several countries away from where he lives guys, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Soldato
Keep suggesting cars for sale over a thousand miles and several countries away from where he lives guys, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

I'm debating with myself (and trying to find something that convinces me of which way to go) as to whether to buy new or used. One of the options is to buy used from the UK and ship the vehicle year (it's a pretty standard practice here; Brexit permitting).

Associate
OP
I'd probably go for something like this for that budget https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003128314584

No idea why you'd want either of the cars you've already mentioned? I would also never buy brand new due to the depreciation you suffer just by driving it off of the forecourt, let somebody else incur the initial hit.

That looks appealing but I'm looking for something with lower CO2 emissions as something like that will cost around 5k to just register it here.

I looked at the Peugeot and Ford as they seemed decent; good economy and good specs. I've discarded the Peugeot as an option as I didn't quite like the interor space. Besides being new; what's wrong with considering the Puma?

Soldato
That looks appealing but I'm looking for something with lower CO2 emissions as something like that will cost around 5k to just register it here.

I looked at the Peugeot and Ford as they seemed decent; good economy and good specs. I've discarded the Peugeot as an option as I didn't quite like the interor space. Besides being new; what's wrong with considering the Puma?

There's nothing wrong with the Puma per say, they review reasonably well and I'm sure for some it would be hunky dory, but for me it just doesn't float my boat. It's another generic mini suv type car that I just cannot get excited about. For your budget you can get some wonderful cars which are far more exciting and involving to drive with the only downside being they'll cost a little more to run. What would be the highest CO2 emmisions you could stomach to pay for?

Associate
OP
There's nothing wrong with the Puma per say, they review reasonably well and I'm sure for some it would be hunky dory, but for me it just doesn't float my boat. It's another generic mini suv type car that I just cannot get excited about. For your budget you can get some wonderful cars which are far more exciting and involving to drive with the only downside being they'll cost a little more to run. What would be the highest CO2 emmisions you could stomach to pay for?

That makes sense.

So as an idea, a 2018 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo at around 128 CO2 (g/km) would cost about £3.3k to register, which is probably the most I could do.

Associate
That makes sense.

So as an idea, a 2018 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo at around 128 CO2 (g/km) would cost about £3.3k to register, which is probably the most I could do.
That will be a great car. You should get many years of happy motoring out of a civic.

Out of interest have you compared the price you'd pay for a UK car against a Maltese car? Only reason I ask is because some cars on a Malta website don't seem awfully priced when you factor in them being already registered and much less hassle. Just for example I found this Kia ceed:
https://www.maltapark.com/item/details/8420159

Then looked for a similar model with similar miles and spec in the UK and this was the cheapest below 10k miles:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002117201098?atmobcid=soc3

Soldato
Is the condition of Maltese cars or their upkeep different (ie no annual mot)
As the above poster said, why not just get a decent second hand 2-3 year old car in country for probably 15-20k?

Back
Top Bottom