New PC (£400ish) Build help please

Associate
I built my first PC back when I was 40. 7 years on it needs replacing (mainly because Windows 7 not supported soon, but I feel it is showing its age now!). I'm not much of a gamer - but have played Minecraft and WOT over the past couple of years - albeit WOT in low graphics settings :)

I wonder if people can help - my current PC is based on an AMD A10 5800. I also fairly recently bought an 250GB SSD + 1TB harddisk and also I had to replace the powersupply last year or 2 so my thoughts are.

I'll keep the SSD and Harddrive, and the case and powersupply .. and monitor and keyboard - both are nice and newish? Powersupply is the Corsair VS650.

So I'm thinking I'll need new:
1. CPU (AMD Ryzen 5?)
2. Motherboard (obviously..)
3. RAM
4. Windows 10
And at my £400 price point can I also get new
5. Graphics card?
6. Compact desktop speakers? My ones must be at least 15 years old - but they work ok so probably not a priority as I have no idea how much they cost for something reasonable!!

I know the budget is low, but really interested in what people can recommend. I have seen budget PCs in the £450-£500 - but hoping I can get a better machine and save some money if I just buy the bits I really need .... or am I being dumb! Not interested in secondhand ....

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £391.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

4. Windows 10
if you still have your windows 7 key, you can use the same key on a windows 10 install.
failing that, get a grey key. not worth spending £100 on a retail key.

you've not said what sized case you have, so i've specced a micro atx board (which should fit in most cases)
also as you currently have an a10 5800...chances are that the case is micro atx. so taking my chances here :p

Associate
OP
if you still have your windows 7 key, you can use the same key on a windows 10 install.
failing that, get a grey key. not worth spending £100 on a retail key.

Is a "grey key" the OEM type? If so, I agree - I've seen OEM version for £50 and that would work for me!

you've not said what sized case you have, so i've specced a micro atx board (which should fit in most cases)
also as you currently have an a10 5800...chances are that the case is micro atx. so taking my chances here :p

Good point, sorry - it is a "BitFenix Merc Alpha Gaming Case" - which is an "ATX Mid Tower" - which should work I hope!

Man of Honour
I've seen OEM version for £50 and that would work for me!
no. i mean the type where you get it from you know where for literally the cost of a portion of chips or at most a couple of pints of beer. :)
grey keys make the most financial sense and most of us here have been using the same keys for years with no issues
say each grey key lasts for at least 2 years...or at worst, 1 year - but in reality they rarely, if ever, get blocked
your breakeven point is 20 years at minimum, (or typically >40 years! lol)

Good point, sorry - it is a "BitFenix Merc Alpha Gaming Case" - which is an "ATX Mid Tower" - which should work I hope!
yes.

Man of Honour
For the sake of an extra £35 I'd say this is worth getting over the RX570, unless your budget is too tight to allow for it:
i agree the 590 is better value than the 570, even though it's been hiked by a fiver since last week
didn't spec it because it sounded like £400 is the concrete ceiling for OP though

Associate
Windows 7 key should work fine for Windows 10.

You should be able to go straight to Windows 10 and it should except your Windows 7 key when prompted for the key.

Otherwise you can put Windows 7 on the PC and then run the Windows 10 download tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) on the PC and it should download and upgrade without asking for a key as it uses your current Windows 7 license.

Soldato
i agree the 590 is better value than the 570, even though it's been hiked by a fiver since last week
didn't spec it because it sounded like £400 is the concrete ceiling for OP though

Yeah, if he's on a strict budget the 570 is decent.

That price leaves a bad taste in my mouth though given I bought a brand new RX580 8GB for £120 a few months back, a RX570 4GB should be no more than £100 in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all your thoughts guys, I'm not much of a high-end gamer - but I am very tempted by the 590.. but the original spec that tamzy gave me managed to hit the exact price I was looking for so I will probably go with that. I am going to put my order in tomorrow so I will try and make my mind up by then!!

Soldato
Cheers for all your thoughts guys, I'm not much of a high-end gamer - but I am very tempted by the 590.. but the original spec that tamzy gave me managed to hit the exact price I was looking for so I will probably go with that. I am going to put my order in tomorrow so I will try and make my mind up by then!!

You could probably make up the 35 quid extra for the better Gpu by selling your old MB + Ram + Cpu.

Associate
OP
Need to read replace the psu as vs models are not good enough
In what way? Its worked fine on my current PC for a couple of years? How much is a decent new one?

You could probably make up the 35 quid extra for the better Gpu by selling your old MB + Ram + Cpu.
Had not thought of that - but they are both 7 years old with no packaging ... where would I sell them - I don't do Ebay anymore? Although I suppose I could find my old account.

Associate
OP

Soldato
In what way? Its worked fine on my current PC for a couple of years? How much is a decent new one?

Had not thought of that - but they are both 7 years old with no packaging ... where would I sell them - I don't do anymore? Although I suppose I could find my old account.

I've recently sold a 1156 and 1366 socket "10 year old" motherboards for £45 and £100, even a 9 year old ocz zs 750w psu went for £35, people will buy anything these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom