New PC budget £700-800.

Associate
so my old potato gave out so i need a new pc asap. to be used for gaming (AAA indie and just about everything in between) potentially some mild video editing. im picking up the ACER Nitro VG270UPbmiipx Quad HD 27" LCD Gaming Monitor - Black, soon (1440p 144hz 1ms ) or a similar one if its out of stock so id like to build for that.
in terms of preferences id prefer
id like a AMD system
id prefer a red case if possible
if the budget allows for a cooler i prefer air coolers
£800 is pretty much the max i can do right now give or take £20.
ill be sourcing peripherals myself later on.
Edit: id also like it to be as upgradable as possible. i was origonally saving for a £3000-£4000 gaming pc to do editing, gaming and vr but kinda needed to tap inot savings early

Last edited:
Soldato
Strictly keeping it in budget, this is an idea for you to build.

Had to go with a B450 micro-ATX board as cheaper and keeps it within budget. Stock cooler will do for now, you can always add an aftermarket one later.

Not bad really considering you can get a Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 5600 XT GPU. ;)

Couldn't find you a 'red case' tbh that was decent, so gone with something cheap and cheerful. I would've personally liked to a B550 board in there and a modular PSU, but they were sacrifices had to make to get it within budget & still pick a solid GPU for you which is the most important bit after CPU/RAM really.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £780.81 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP

Had to go with a B450 micro-ATX board as cheaper and keeps it within budget. Stock cooler will do for now, you can always add an aftermarket one later.

Not bad really considering you can get a Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 5600 XT GPU. ;)

Couldn't find you a 'red case' tbh that was decent, so gone with something cheap and cheerful. I would've personally liked to a B550 board in there and a modular PSU, but they were sacrifices had to make to get it within budget & still pick a solid GPU for you which is the most important bit after CPU/RAM really.

that b450m. would it require a bios update to run ryzen gen 3 or is it good out of the box. im asking because ive never had to update bios so i have no idea how its done.

Soldato
It's a 'Max' mobo so it's out of the box ready for Ryzen 3 yep - that was why on the B450 they came out with these Max boards a bit later on. So you don't need to worry about that.

If you wanna stretch the budget a little and get the newer B550 chipset and standard ATX size board, the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite @ £155 is a good choice.

But AMD have said they will support Ryzen 4000 series on the B450 boards with a BIOS update. So no harm either if you wanna stick with the mATX board.

Associate
OP
It's a 'Max' mobo so it's out of the box ready for Ryzen 3 yep - that was why on the B450 they came out with these Max boards a bit later on. So you don't need to worry about that.

If you wanna stretch the budget a little and get the newer B550 chipset and standard ATX size board, the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite @ £155 is a good choice.

But AMD have said they will support Ryzen 4000 series on the B450 boards with a BIOS update. So no harm either if you wanna stick with the mATX board.
ah good. ill see if i can get together the extra £50 to get the b550 instead. thank you for all you help.

Soldato
I was applying same logic as the other thread, it's nice to have 2 cables less. But the board only has 1x M.2 slot

So I just think if you wanna upgrade storage later, you get a high-speed NVMe drive and you've filled your 1 slot with a SATA speed drive lol.

So if you upgrade it's gotta be a single larger M.2 NVMe drive and you lose your original drive... Or your limited to standard 2.5" SSDs to expand with. Unless you buy a PCIe M.2 expansion slot which is just daft

Sorta feels like wasting the M.2 slot with a SATA speed drive imo

Edit: Or you go for the higher speed NVMe drive now for £15 more, but probably wouldn't notice a real world difference. It's the same 1TB capacity either way lol https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP

sorry to bother again but im going through the parts to put in my basket and i noticed the pc case only comes with a single fan. is that alright or should i go for something different?

Soldato
You could add a few 120mm fans, or look for something else if want the airflow. Long as it’s micro-ATX or bigger it’ll fit.

Can throw some cases you like link here and get some thoughts if like

Soldato
Yeah that's a decent choice, not in stock for at least a week though

This one is similar in stock now and slightly cheaper if you like it - comes with 4x A-RGB fans preinstalled.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-nova-mesh-a-rgb-midi-tower-case-black-window-ca-23e-bx.html

Edit: Also if you want a slightly higher wattage PSU for £2 more you can get this Corsair CV550
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nze-power-supply-cp-9020210-uk-ca-25c-cs.html

And if you want to keep cables tidier, using this M.2 SSD drive instead of the 2.5" SSD, will mean you won't need to use the SATA cables/power etc for the same price
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b-hd-54n-wd.html

Back
Top Bottom