New PC build not booting to BIOS. No signal just lights on motherboard.

Associate
Hi,

I have built a PC today but system turns on with the lights lighting up on the motherboard. The EZ debug light displays "62", "54" and "b2" but I am unable to see anything on my screen. No Windows 10 or drivers installed and no BIOS (unable to flashback or update BIOS). It won't post just a black screen. So far i've only tested the system on the black motherboard box and not inside a PC case.
I've swapped RAM into different slots and used 1 stick and 2 stick. I've tried the HDMI port into the GPU (GTX 1060) and the HDMI on the motherboard just to make sure but no response from both. I've disassembled the whole system and reassembled to make sure no CPU pins are bent, RAM is seated correctly and GPU seated correctly. Only the 8 pin CPU, 24 pin motherboard and the 6 pin GPU power supply cables are used with the system.
I don't know if the board is faulty or is it something else? I have googled the debug code errors and the result i've come up with is the the PCI slot is faulty, BIOS needs flashing/upgrading to support new hardware or RAM is faulty.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2 x 4GB
MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
EVGA Geforce GTX 1060
EVGA Supernova 650W P2
Samsung 250GB EVO SSD 2.5"

Can someone help me please?

Soldato
Sourced online.
  • 62 = Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
  • 54 = Unspecified memory initialization error
  • B2 = Legacy Option ROM Initialization
Strangely the downloadable manual from MSI didn't include the section for 54, i had to source that from a website that includes some additional debug codes, here's the source.

Try a single stick and test each individual ram slot, then try the same again with the other stick. No need to use a GPU at this point, stick to onboard and focus on getting a successful boot up, and do a clear CMOS(with power off naturally) for good measure if you haven't already.

Caporegime
Easy Debug and then it comes up with bizarre explanations like "Installation of the PCH Runtime Services" and "Legacy Option ROM Initialization". What's easy about that? :p

Associate
OP
Okay managed to get into BIOS now with the RAM in slots 1 and 2 (nearest to the CPU). I'm sure I did that last night, maybe I did 3 & 4 not 1 & 2. I was pretty frustrated last night.

Associate
OP
Sourced online.
  • 62 = Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
  • 54 = Unspecified memory initialization error
  • B2 = Legacy Option ROM Initialization
Strangely the downloadable manual from MSI didn't include the section for 54, i had to source that from a website that includes some additional debug codes, here's the source.

Try a single stick and test each individual ram slot, then try the same again with the other stick. No need to use a GPU at this point, stick to onboard and focus on getting a successful boot up, and do a clear CMOS(with power off naturally) for good measure if you haven't already.

Okay managed to get into BIOS now with the RAM in slots 1 and 2 (nearest to the CPU). I'm sure I did that last night, maybe I did 3 & 4 not 1 & 2. I was pretty frustrated last night.

Thanks for your help. Sometimes the manuals are useless but it seems to be cooperative today unlike yesterday.

Associate
OP
Well flashed the BIOS to the latest one, Windows 10 is installed and need to get a key for that. Installed updates, drivers and programs and it's working fine.

Then I look at the RAM in the bios it is stating 2133MHz with XMP off. Turned it on and selected profile 2 with 3000MHz. F10, press yes to confirm and reboot back into BIOS to confirm. Problem occurs again, the system doesn't boot again!

Is this a motherboard BIOS problem? Motherboard hardware support problem for the RAM? or is the RAM not compatible with the motherboard to support the full limits of the RAM?

Associate
What RAM are you using?
I had this issue once when installing 2 new sticks of RAM into my build. going from 2 - 4 sticks.

I ended up taking the RAM out and leaving just 1 stick or 1 set of sticks in, then booting.
Then would go and re-install the RAM and it would work fine again.

Associate
OP
What RAM are you using?
I had this issue once when installing 2 new sticks of RAM into my build. going from 2 - 4 sticks.

I ended up taking the RAM out and leaving just 1 stick or 1 set of sticks in, then booting.
Then would go and re-install the RAM and it would work fine again.
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 2 x 4GB

Soldato
swap to asus,gigabyte or asrock :D

but hopefully problem can be fixed

try manually entering times- again once your in bios, hit default settings and reboot- dont just hit default and start entering away

Associate
OP
did you get over the problem ?
Does it work with 2 dimms , or only 1 ?
Did you try to check each one of the dimms seperatly ?
Only got it to work with 2 sticks in slot 1 and 2. Trying them in slot 2 and 4, the recommended slots, spits out a 54 code, "Unspecified memory initialization error".
Tried all slots with 1 stick and 1st stick gave the 01 code "Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)" and the 2nd stick gave a b2 code, "Legacy Option ROM Initialization".

Associate
OP
Have you tried running with just 1 stick?
The computer doesn't boot up with 1 stick, but with 2 sticks the system works and I am unable to change the xmp profile or the speed.
When changing the speed/xmp profile in the BIOS, does the voltage change with it as well? or do I have to change that manually?
I looked somewhere, not sure BIOS or a program from MSI that I installed and it stated 1.2V. The voltage on the ram states 1.35V.

Associate
OP
swap to asus,gigabyte or asrock :D

but hopefully problem can be fixed

try manually entering times- again once your in bios, hit default settings and reboot- dont just hit default and start entering away
Swapping to another motherboard would be my last move. AFAIK all components work, just not at its full limit. I don't know if its the RAM or motherboard.
That has reminded me that I will have to check all the I/O ports on the motherboard when I get back tonight. Only used 5 of them IIRC. Been busy moving the GPU, HDMI into motherboard & GPU and RAM around and not making sure other stuff works.
Any recommended steps to manually entering RAM speeds, voltage and timings in the BIOS?

Associate
OP
On the website, I only found "Motherboard> MSI> Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION" and my RAM is there. I then realised my board is a X370 for AMD not Intel, which isn't on the list. No X370 boards at all.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM#support-mem-12 I searched on MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium compatibility list and it's not on the list.

My RAM: Vengeance® LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - Red (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R)

Associate
OP
I think i'm lucky that the RAM works, albeit at a lower speed, with my motherboard and I didn't check the compatibility, which I should have done in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom