new pc build (suggestions please)

Associate
I'm looking to build a new pc for gaming, muiltmedia and internet use I have a budget of £1400 but would obviously perfer to spend less (dont want to spend extra money for very little extra benefit) and would be grateful of any recommendations of parts. I have been looking at components on the site and have a rough idea of what i want but just want to get some independant ideas. I currently have a Shuttle PC and want to upgrade to a Midi-system with PCI-e and SATA motherboard.

Parts i think i need:

Case
PSU
Motherboard
Processor
Memory
Graphics card
Sound card
DVD-RW
2xHDD
Fans/cooling

Thanks

Associate
What sort of gaming are you looking at? This is a decent amount of money for a PC and you could well go the SLI/Crossfire route, but are you looking for that kind of performance in games? Or is the gaming more of a side issue?

TBH for your budget you could be spec'd hundreds of different systems in here and it would get really confusing.

What do you actually want it to do? If you can be a bit more specific than you have, you can get systems suggested based on what you really want, or we can just chuck loads of high end specs at you and let you make up your mind....

If you have an idea of what you want, then spec us the PC and we can suggest improvements that may suit you better.

Associate
OP
Thats the problem i'm not sure what is best for my needs....

I only really play Battlefield 2 which is quite power hungry. I dont know what benefit using a crossfire card would be over others? If its worth it then yes. If it means that the card will have a better life span then definetly.

The main reasons for my upgrade is that i only have a 32MB video card, i dont have any room on my hard-drive (which is only 80GB and slow) I also dont have a DVD recorder.

I cannot justify spending money on updating my current system so thought i'd go all out and build a new one which will last me another 4 years.

Associate
OP
just had a quick look at the website and these components look along the right track....

Case - Lian-Li PC-60
PSU -?
Motherboard - ?
Processor - maybe... AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or 4000+ or dual-core?
Memory - 2GB corsair
Graphics card - Radeon X1900
Sound card - Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
DVD-RW - ?
2xHDD - Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740GD 10,000RPM SATA
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II
Fans/cooling

Last edited:
Soldato
bustburr said:
just had a quick look at the website and these components look along the right track....

Case - Lian-Li PC-60
PSU -?
Motherboard - ?
Processor - maybe... AMD Athlon 64 3800+ or 4000+ or dual-core?
Memory - 2GB corsair
Graphics card - Radeon X1900
Sound card - Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
DVD-RW - ?
2xHDD - Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740GD 10,000RPM SATA
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II
Fans/cooling

PSU - Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CA-024-EN)
Available This Week Only for just £79.95 +VAT.

Processor - X2 3800+ or X2 4400+ (preferred choice if in budget due to extra L2 cache)

Graphics - Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB
Available This Week Only for just £264.95 +VAT.
OR
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Available This Week Only for just £239.95 +VAT.

Motherboard - Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express
Available This Week Only for just £104.95 +VAT.

DVDRW - Philips SPD2400GM 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (very quiet & reliable)

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice i like your suggestions you have made.

Ithink i will take your advice on the PSU, motherboard, dvdr(as i have a philips cdrw) and the connect3d graphics card.

still undecided on processor tho?

and also not sure about cooling???

Soldato
if you got the cash the X2 4400+ (due to larger L2 cache), nice if you overclock.

as for cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR) - nice, quiet cooler & cheapish

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom