New PC - Content Creation + Gaming (4k In the future?)

Associate
Hello,

So I've had my PC for a few years but it's starting to struggle, one major issue I have is how long rendering takes from premiere pro (Especially this years version which seems to have doubled rendering times!). Now I want to eventually go to 4k (Once the monitors are out that I'm after but for now it will be 1080, and potentially 1440p if Sony confirm the PS5 will officially support it).

Motherboard:
  • I'm struggling with the MOBO mainly due to my issues in the past. I'm after 1 which handles 2 M.2 drives at least. Has enough USBs and also PCIe slots (I need 1 for the GPU, 2 for Elgato and potentially 1 for expansion if required? More a just in case though), really do need help with this one. In addition I store all my content on hard drives so being able to hold 4-6 HDDs is needed.
CPU: AMD 5900x or 5950x (Not sure price increase is worth it?)
GPU: 1080 until 30xx comes into stock (or the AMD GPUs blow us away). I already own this.
RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro 2x32GB DDR 3600mhz
  • Something that I think has been hurting me a lot is the fact i only have 16gb of RAM at the moment. Premiere pro really struggles with large files.
Power Supply: Corsair AX1000
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 (Did think about the NH-D15 but seems a bit expensive double the price of the hyper 212, yes that's funny when it's £45 compared to other components)
  • I don't want liquid cooling after my H100i failed after 6 years (I know that's a good life span, but a CPU cooler which will just last seems better to me?) Unless you'd think I'd see a bottleneck.
Case: LianLi O11 XL - White (Desk is white, figured it would go nice but I'm open to anything, something that's quite classy looking).

M.2: Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB

All other storage I currently own.

Any help is appreciated, I want to get this ordered the minute 5900x becomes available if at all possible. Maybe it's worth me upgrading to 5950? Not 100% sure it's worth the price for performance?

Any help is appreciated as always!

Cheers,

Martin (Tidgney)

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £834.66 (includes shipping: £14.70)

This is one of the few motherboards with over 2 M.2 slots that dont start becoming silly expensive (not saying £300 is cheap).

There is no nead for a 1k psu on that build. A 750 would probably do it but I have specced a 850 to be sure.

The o11 dynamic XL is a lovely case but its build for water cooling still and I feel the lancool 2 would do better with hd storage as you wil lose cooling if you max the storage out on the 011.

Samsung drives are nice but over priced. You can get similar performance for cheaper.

I would also recommend an upgrade the your cooling if your going to use 12/16 core chips for long rendering times.

Total: £121.88 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Both awesome coolers and are only a couple of degrees of the top end noctua D15!!

Soldato
I'm struggling with the MOBO mainly due to my issues in the past. I'm after 1 which handles 2 M.2 drives at least. Has enough USBs and also PCIe slots (I need 1 for the GPU, 2 for Elgato and potentially 1 for expansion if required? More a just in case though), really do need help with this one. In addition I store all my content on hard drives so being able to hold 4-6 HDDs is needed.
Power Supply: Corsair AX1000
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 (Did think about the NH-D15 but seems a bit expensive double the price of the hyper 212, yes that's funny when it's £45 compared to other components)

M.2: Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB
Propably all X570 boards have two M.2 slots.
The question is really about having three other PCIe slots without affecting main x16 slot:
If you want graphics card to have all 16 lanes always, pretty much all higher end boards have it sharing 8 lanes with second x16 slot.
Also x1 slots are often put into useless places to be covered by big graphics cards reserving three slot space.
Like that X570 Unify having only one x1 slot and that lowermost electrically x4 slot available without affecting graphic card's slot.
(also only lowly 4 SATAs)

Unless you're intending to have two power hogging GPUs you don't need 1kW PSU.
Even 850W would be starting to be oversized to keep good efficiency most of the time when PC is on, if not going for better than 80+ Gold.

Correction, it's brand overhyped and priced 212, not Hyper 212.
That Coolerhamster is at level of £21 Arctic Freezer 34:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html
Though right now only ball bearing fan variant is available for £25.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-co-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-079-ar.html
£43 Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would crush it.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

Samsung drives are all more or less grossly brand overpriced:
You could find good 2TB drives like Adata SX8200 Pro or (non-Q) Sabrent Rocket for not much over £200.

Soldato
I would also recommend an upgrade the your cooling if your going to use 12/16 core chips for long rendering times.

Total: £121.88 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Both awesome coolers and are only a couple of degrees of the top end noctua D15!!
Intel optimized convex base coolers are actually risk of suboptimal performance on modern Ryzens:
Intel has heatspreaders toward concave shape, but AMD has flattish/even tiny smidge convex from center heatspreaders.
With convex based heatsink that would give good contact only in small area.
While chiplet/MCM Ryzens have off center heat producing dies instead of centered monolithic die.

Quite huge difference in spreading/thickness of TIM between convex and (roughly) straightened heatsink base:
https://www.igorslab.de/en/kuehlerb...amd-and-conkav-reader-test-and-picture-story/
https://www.igorslab.de/en/kuehlerb...-and-conkav-reader-test-and-picture-story/20/
This might have well been about same:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-matching-or-beating-scythe-mugen-5.18902588/

Associate
OP
Hello,

Thanks for your replies so far, it's been helpful for the most part :D!

• Case; dfour, Thanks for that case, I must have been blind not seeing that one? One thing I was tempted to look into is hiding the PSU with that bottom side, but it wasn't my top, top priority so I'll definitely add that case in.
  • Power Supply; Just on the Power supply, the reason I went with a 1000w PSU was due to what Linus said in a recent video and I thought that it may help future proof if anything did indeed change (Not that I am expecting it to anytime soon), so I'll knock it down to the 850 as suggest, thank you for this :).
  • M.2; I'll have a look at a few more M.2 drives then, Corsair as you mentioned dfour being top of the list I guess, saves a few quid at least.

• Mobo; I'm still unsure with what has been said above, so does that Unify board support it (I'm a little confused with the specs) and I've had this issue in the past to with PCIe slots and speed drops and such. Definitely would need the full 16 slots for the GPU surely? Then it would be 2 x4's, but obviously (I think im right here) if they're shared then it won't work? I'm pretty sure my current motherboard had the same problem with a x4 slot and 3 x1 slots in that I could only use 1 choice of those 2?
  • Cooler; I'll upgrade the cooler to the be quiet one I guess, assuming it is actually quiter haha

So we're at just to update the thread;

Total: £899.65 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Plus: AMD 5900x (Or 5950x still not sure price for performance increase is worth it?)
GPU: 1080 (I already own this), until 3080 or AMD GPUs surprise us.

Thanks again for the help so far, very thankful!

Cheers,

Martin.

Soldato
I dont know if this will help but heres the manual for the unify

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-UNIFY#down-manual

Esat is correct in saying the 850 might be a bit overkill. This is a 760 so will be fine with your build and is also more effecient for less money as well as a 10 year warrenty. Its a great unit and I own one myself

Total: £138.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I would have thought witht eh use of smaller and more energy effecient chip processes that power demand would be going down over the years making 1K plus psu 'obsolete' for more 'regular' pc users.

Soldato
  • Mobo; I'm still unsure with what has been said above, so does that Unify board support it (I'm a little confused with the specs) and I've had this issue in the past to with PCIe slots and speed drops and such. Definitely would need the full 16 slots for the GPU surely? Then it would be 2 x4's, but obviously (I think im right here) if they're shared then it won't work? I'm pretty sure my current motherboard had the same problem with a x4 slot and 3 x1 slots in that I could only use 1 choice of those 2?
  • Cooler; I'll upgrade the cooler to the be quiet one I guess, assuming it is actually quiter haha
Only HEDT/workstation products (as in Threadripper) have really enough PCIe lanes to have lots of wide PCIe slots.
Desktop platforms have less available lanes.

Actually lower boards have more available PCIe slots.
For example Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite has one x4 slot and two x1 slots without affecting graphics card's slot or without being in the way of big three slot graphics card:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Higher up X570 Aorus Pro has same problem as MSIs in that second x16 slot grabbing 8 lanes from primary x16 slot...
Giving you only that one x1 slot below second x16 slot and lowermost (x4) slot without affecting main x16 slot.

Mugen 5 PCGH is definitely quieter because those two low speed fans simply can't ever generaty much noise even if running at full speed.
Though those also limit performance.
There are also other options.
And remember that unlike Intel AMD is lot more honest in TDP, so even in full load they don't need nuclear reactor's cooling system.

Associate
OP
I dont know if this will help but heres the manual for the unify

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-UNIFY#down-manual

Esat is correct in saying the 850 might be a bit overkill. This is a 760 so will be fine with your build and is also more effecient for less money as well as a 10 year warrenty. Its a great unit and I own one myself

Total: £138.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I would have thought witht eh use of smaller and more energy effecient chip processes that power demand would be going down over the years making 1K plus psu 'obsolete' for more 'regular' pc users.

Thanks for the manual I'll have a good look at that! I think for an extra £10 surely the extra W is worthwhile?

Only HEDT/workstation products (as in Threadripper) have really enough PCIe lanes to have lots of wide PCIe slots.
Desktop platforms have less available lanes.

Actually lower boards have more available PCIe slots.
For example Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite has one x4 slot and two x1 slots without affecting graphics card's slot or without being in the way of big three slot graphics card:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Higher up X570 Aorus Pro has same problem as MSIs in that second x16 slot grabbing 8 lanes from primary x16 slot...
Giving you only that one x1 slot below second x16 slot and lowermost (x4) slot without affecting main x16 slot.

Mugen 5 PCGH is definitely quieter because those two low speed fans simply can't ever generaty much noise even if running at full speed.
Though those also limit performance.
There are also other options.
And remember that unlike Intel AMD is lot more honest in TDP, so even in full load they don't need nuclear reactor's cooling system.

Thankyou for this information, looks like the Motherboard is definitely critical in my decision here so I need to get reading through a few. I think as a compromise if I can have a x16 slot and 2 x4 slots and non impact each other that'll do. I'm assuming there hasn't been much growth with this as M.2s have taken up any extra lanes? I could be talking nonsense there though as I'm very much a novice with motherboards and PCIe lanes etc.

Associate
OP
Hello!

So I've been researching motherboards for days and I don't actually think I can get what I want from what I've read! So I've been thinking of alternative things or builds and I've come up with this instead, how's this? The big change is the cooler, as there doesn't appear to be any good white coolers and I just randomly decided to go full white with a theme to?

Total: £1,232.55 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

One thing I was a little gutted about is that Overclockers doesn't have the 16gb sticks for the RAM (I want to get everything from overclockers because I love the customer service)? The additional things not on here would have course be;

CPU: 5900
GPU: 6900xt

+ some HDs I have.

I've also had to pick some parts because they're the only ones in stock (I've never been in a place I want a PS5, but there's no pre-orders and PC parts are limited to haha).

Am I missing anything or doing anything stupid? Otherwise the minute I can get the CPU I'd go with the order (CPU will be a 1080 until the 6900xt is released, hopefully a white edition at some point).

Thanks for your help as always!

Associate
If your using Prem Pro i would be tempted to buy the more expensive 5950 especially if you going to do 4k.

GPU difficult one but you will probable get a RTX 3090 quicker than the 3080 and of course it has more memory

Associate
OP
PC is ordered, thanks for all your help! Frustratingly the MOBO was out of stock when I came to order tonight so had to get that from else where, but rest all ordered. Although I'm really confused the 5900x I thought was a 5pm release from what I read but someone has mentioned it got released at 2pm!? Not sure whether there was stock at 2pm and now I'm in a queue :(.

I'll post some pictures once the PC is eventually built though :)!

Associate
OP
Just want to say thankyou to everyone who helped with this again. PC is built, rendering times have been cut by 2/3's which is amazing to me to be honest! I'm now just looking for a GPU but it appears that might be a waiting game. I didn't realise (foolish of me I suppose) that the AMD codec is bad as I've been back and forward between 6900xt and 3080, so now its just the 3080. I also want it in white which is going to be even more of a problem, but I'll wait. Gigabyte is a tad annoying with that purple bit on the front of their white GPU that I don't particularly like. OC is meant to supply KFA2 but I haven't seen the 3080 white version at all on the shop (I don't mean in stock either).

Will see what happens, once it's fully built though I'll post the video in here if anyone's remotely interested :).

Back
Top Bottom