Associate
So I recently upgraded my pc, installed all components without a hitch but noticed my cpu was running a little hot. I removed it, replaced thermal paste and heatsink and now my pc won't boot.

It turns on but with a red light on the "Ez debug" lights next to dram. Doesn't reach bios.

I figured my cpu got fried somehow and got a new one to test, no luck. So I figured it must be ram. Tried the ram on a different rig with no issues. So it must be the motherboard right? Well no because I tried on a new motherboard and the exact same issue happened.

I'm at a loss, it must be something I'm doing but I installed all these parts previously without much issue.

Ryzen 5 3600
Msi B450 Tomahawk Max
Gigabyte X5700 xt
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 3200mhz
240gb ssd
1tb hdd

Thanks

Associate
OP
It's quite hard to overheat CPU's nowdays tbh.. You tries a different mobo but have you tried different RAM and video connection?
I've tried a different motherboard, cpu and gpu. I've not tried new ram but the ram worked on a different rig. Psu is fairly old but all the lights power on and it was working fine until a few days ago

Man of Honour
.. basically, test the CPU with all other known working parts.. If the system fails to boot in a completely different system, then you have a faulty CPU. I would speak to the vendor you bought it from. Most would be happy to verify if it's a fault, then they can start the RMA process on your behalf. If it's not, they may charge you a test fee, but it's worth it for piece of mind.

I had a quick look at the manual.. Have you checked through the troubleshooting tips on P97?

The mobo supports audio post beeps so if you have an internal speaker connected, you may get a series of audible POST codes that tie in with the BIOS manufacture.

Soldato
Get it all out of the case, on top of a motherboard box or similar, and try again. Just connect the cpu, 1 stick of ram, the gpu and obviously the power supply and try turning it on again. If it still won't post my guess is the same as Huddy's - duff cpu.

Associate
OP
Get it all out of the case, on top of a motherboard box or similar, and try again. Just connect the cpu, 1 stick of ram, the gpu and obviously the power supply and try turning it on again. If it still won't post my guess is the same as Huddy's - duff cpu.

I already have it out on the box If it was the cpu why would the debug light indicate it was the ram? This is the second cpu I've tried

Associate
OP
Might be one of the slots faulty... Which slot does it boot OK with

Sorry I needed to take a break. Super frustrating! It seems to work in just the one slot. Tried replacing the heatsink in case it was too tight. Now I'm having trouble getting it on again. Is it possible to move the cpu out of place when connecting the heatsink?

Soldato
Sorry I needed to take a break. Super frustrating! It seems to work in just the one slot. Tried replacing the heatsink in case it was too tight. Now I'm having trouble getting it on again. Is it possible to move the cpu out of place when connecting the heatsink?

It is frustrating when things like this happen, if the CPU is in the socket properly then it shouldn't move when placing th cooler on it as the pins do a good job of holding it in place.... The CPU pins all OK?

Associate
OP
It is frustrating when things like this happen, if the CPU is in the socket properly then it shouldn't move when placing th cooler on it as the pins do a good job of holding it in place.... The CPU pins all OK?
Yeah I took it out and had a look, seems fine and the cpu doesn't move when in the slot.

Soldato
So both sticks of RAM work individually in any slot, but only one at a time?

Have to checked to see if you're on the latest bios? You could be having some sort of weird compatibility issue.

Also try resetting your bios, I would do this by popping out the CMOS battery and leaving it out for 20-30 minutes before powering on the system again.

Back
Top Bottom