Poll: New poll on who you will vote for?

Who?

• Labour

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • Conservative

Votes: 286 37.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 324 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 75 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
While I'm impressed with Nick Clegg's performance at the debate, I disagree with their policies, so will still be voting conservative.

Soldato
Conservative still

I don't want Labour anymore and anyone else other than conservative is a wasted vote imo

This viewpoint is what really winds me up. I don't agree with the Conservatives but I can understand why people who do believe in their policies vote for them. What I can't abide by is people voting for them is because 'there is no other option besides labour' or 'anything else is a wasted vote'. This is the sort of attitude that has us stuck with a two party election race. If all the people who believed voting for neither labour or the conservatives actually voted for somebody else I'd imagine the election would spring a few surprises.

Man of Honour
This viewpoint is what really winds me up. I don't agree with the Conservatives but I can understand why people who do believe in their policies vote for them. What I can't abide by is people voting for them is because 'there is no other option besides labour' or 'anything else is a wasted vote'. This is the sort of attitude that has us stuck with a two party election race. If all the people who believed voting for neither labour or the conservatives actually voted for somebody else I'd imagine the election would spring a few surprises.

It would take a truly phenomenal amount of people to vote Lib though, as per the chart I posted on the previous page, Lib can come first in the election and still only be 3rd on numbers in the parliament. If someone wants to get rid of labour, voting conservative is still currently the most effective way to get that to happen, so I can see where he is coming from.

Caporegime
You can get the most number of votes but still be in 3rd.

Indeed. Although I'd urge caution with such predictions because they're based on uniform national swing, whereas polling so far appears to show that isn't the case. The Lib Dems have had a bigger swing in the north of England than the south or Scotland - that's important because most Lib Dem seats are either in the south or in Scotland, and if they simply boost their majority in seats they already hold then they'll get precious few extra seats. The geography of the swing suggests this might not be the case.

Also the biggest swing to them seems to be in younger age groups. Now, historically, these are also the group that votes least. This could mean they don't transform their support into actual votes or it could mean they get a big normally non-voting part of the public to actually vote and given the relatively low participation in our elections that could be enough to swing things.

Caporegime
What happens if Labour win, but Gordon Brown loses his seat. Who becomes Premier? Has it ever happened?

As has been mentioned the PM does not have to even be an MP. I'd expect Brown to stand down though if that happened - he'd have no credibility - probably by announcing a Labour party leadership election and running the country in the interim.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

In an ideal world I would agree with you, unfortunately we do not live in that ideal world so if you want Labour out then the best bet is to vote tactically. The only people that have a chance of unseating Labour in my constituency is the Conservatives, and even then they need a 7% swing to do it. So a vote for the Lib Dems really is a vote wasted as they have no chance of getting in to power here.

Soldato
If all the people who believed voting for neither labour or the conservatives actually voted for somebody else I'd imagine the election would spring a few surprises.

It's not the fault of the voter that no other party is convincing enough for us all vote for them instead

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Tories still, Lib Dems plans for Trident & there policy towards nuclear energy are a deal breaker for me. & Labour, not a hope in hell, i'm sick to death of there slow steady creep towards a police state.

Soldato
IMO, they are all as bad as each other, take the expenses scandal as an example, every one of the three main parties were guilty of exploiting it, therefore, they are all able to cheat and lie their way to the top seat. I was young enough to remember when Conservative ran the country and poll tax etc. They all make these promises, but the money has to come from somewhere to fulfil them and ultmately, it's us that will have to pay for these promises. I'm not voting personally as i never have, i don't see the point, however, if a party promised to tax the highest earners (£150k +) more, then brought the price of petrol down to say - £1 / litre (i'm not greedy), then they would get my vote :D.

However, that will never happen, so if i had to choose from those options, i'd stick with Labour i'm afraid, better the devil you know than the one you don't and all that :)

Soldato
Lib dems, for starters on almost all their policies I agree.
Don't fancy Thatcher MkII, just, more smarmy and prepared to use his dead son in his campaign (He's not the only one with a dead child running might I add).
And Labour have lost all direction.

Soldato
It's not the fault of the voter that no other party is convincing enough for us all vote for them instead

True. My concern over the reaction to the first Televised Debate is that people may be in danger of voting based on the perceived popularity of a single individual rather that their manifesto and politics. Much like the way in which people vote for the dancing dog on Britains got Talent instead of the hugely talented singer or dancer.

Soldato
Aye, it's sad that we're basically voting for who we feel is the best of a bad bunch :(

Better than not voting at all. A lot of brave men and women died to give you that chance. Sure you could say they also died to give you the option to choose, but that's a pretty poor argument imho. Exercise your right, or don't be moaning down the pub about tax/wages/hospitals/anything for the next four years imho. (EDIT: BTW this is aimed at those in the thread saying they'd not bother voting; not you directly - you were just a quick and easy quote lol).

I hate Labour with a passion. The Tories have promised a free vote to repeal the Hunting Act so I'm all for that, but I'm no fan of theirs in general. LibDems lose me on the nuclear policies and their support for the so-called hunting ban. I did the political compass test and apparently no parties support my views. Meh.

I'll probably end up voting Lib Dem simply because it's tactical. Our town is a Lab "safe seat" but is currently Con/Lib shared for the councillors seats. If anyone in these parts ditches Labour they'll definitely go Lib Dem, they'd rather burn than vote Tory. So I dunno. :\

Man of Honour
Id love to see the Lib Dems in opposition to the tories. That would be a great triumph.

Thats the result I would want. I think Cameron v Clegg in the HoP would make for some great entertainment.

However, I dont think it will happen. I think it will end up as a hung parliament ending with Labour having the majority and conservatives in opposition.

Soldato
Probably Labour, a very small chance it'll be Liberal Democrats, but a pretty big chance I'll just spoil my ballot paper as I live in staunchly Tory area.

Soldato
Better than not voting at all. A lot of brave men and women died to give you that chance. Sure you could say they also died to give you the option to choose, but that's a pretty poor argument imho. Exercise your right, or don't be moaning down the pub about tax/wages/hospitals/anything for the next four years imho. ... snip...

I absolutely agree with you on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom