1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New, powerful OCuk machines

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by danceMB, 4 Jun 2006.

1. danceMB

Wise Guy

Has anyone noticed that OC has just updated there top-flight machines?

I dont unfortunatly have the £3,000 for it, but I really wish I did with all the problems that I have been having with my current setup. Does any of the mods know if there are any current plans to have a special sort of finance package at all? If there was a might be tempted next year ;)

2. Energize

Caporegime

I wonder what happened to their quad sli pcs they had on pre order.

3. axe

Banned

Realised 4 GPU's is pointless and OverKil..hopefully

4. UKTopGun

Wise Guy

Or that most people dont want to spend £4000 on a PC.

5. danceMB

Wise Guy

I did notice also that they got rid of the Quad SLI quite a while ago now, and probably noticed that it was a bit too much overkill, with reports that Quad SLI is not really a good idea, at least it was with the reviews I was looking at.

I cant really imagine the orders flooding in for new machines until next year, when Vista comes out with conroe in its maturity. Interesting to sit back and see what happens. Maybe a fast conroe with a DX10 card :cool:

6. UKTopGun

Wise Guy

*/druel*

7. SiriusB

Capodecina

drool, possibly.

And as for Quad SLi - yes it is a waste of time, money and effort. nVidia havent even got all the bugs sorted out in SLi. Only reason for Quad SLi is willy waving.

Anyone seen the new Panther being sold at a competitors? Its a Quad SLi machine and it comes with the Dell 30" beast. In the marketing they say "Quad SLi would be wasted on any smaller screen" just another way of saying "Unless you have a 30" Dell screen Quad SLi is useless".

Anyone who buys a Quad SLi machine needs a thick ear!

SiriusB

8. Mul

Wise Guy

I believe it's because quad sli isn't enabled in current nVidia drivers with the 7950GX2.

9. danceMB

Wise Guy

And the other trouble with it is that all games to have all the chips enabled has to have a "Quad SLI Profile" and if they do not e.g NFS Most Wanted, then the game will actually perform slower than a single card, as having 2 chips on 1 board meant they had to underclock both chips.

Wait until you have mature, worthwhile hardware when Vista is around