New project

Associate
Wheels arrived today :D

cxr1.jpg

Ordered the rest of the bits to get it finished too. Just waiting on them being made, MK are quite busy atm.

Lovely wheels! :cool:

You gonna blow it? there was something similar at TOTB that was very, very fast and looked cooler than a polar bears spuds:

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

Was running a hyabusa engine.

Associate
OP
Get on with it Pez, didn't you start in 2003?
lol seems like that long ago, 2005 I think it was :p

Perywinkle - i take i you are Pezza from locostbuilders? ;) i thought i recognised these pics elsewhere hehe. you have the same location too
roj tis me!

You gonna blow it?
Planning on supercharging it eventually :)

Noo, black on black with extra black. Stealth bomber! :D
I might add some red rim tape for a dash of colour ;)

hows it comming ?
Done **** all to it since the last update, had sod all work and even less money lol
Just dug it out from under all the building materials piled on it.

finally got some money in so i've ordered everything to finish it :)
Need the exhaust manifold before I can weld the cradle in, to make sure it doesn't foul any cross members.
Can't really do much more till then, plumbing, electrics, gear linkages etc.

Associate
OP
finally got the parts I needed :D
10 hour round trip to pick up the bodywork and manifold, all neatly tucked away.

So I could actually get round to welding the brackets and chassis rail into the engine bay.
Not the prettiest welds, but they stood up to a few whacks with a lump hammer so I reckon they are strong enough.

Tasty pink primer lol

primer.jpg

sprayed up with some matt black acrillic.

brackets.jpg

Fuel tank is in, fuel hard line in place.
Waiting on the front wishbones with the powdercoaters, then I can get the front shocks on. Treated it to some wilwood powerlight calipers too.

Hopefully get the engine in tomorrow. Need to get the sprocket off and the prop adapter on first. So Bought a ruddy great breaker bar :D

i'll grab some more pics tomorrow.

1CE

1CE

Associate
Awesome! :D . I shall be watching this one closely!

Really do envy those that make project cars as its something I've always wanted to do.

Permabanned
IMG_1673.jpg

What a strange choice of manifold...Why not a simple log one? More efficient and a lot less volume. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper too...

*n

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Was at a local racer's last night, he had a couple of 7's in for some work. One built at great expense with all the right parts but very badly, running a 230hp Duratec, and it was in being made safe and useable. The other was a crossflow, pretty much as traditional as you get with 7 replicas. He also has a Ferarri Dino replica on the go being based on an Ultima chassis with an all aluminium smallblock Chevy through a Renault transaxle for motivation.

Soldato
IMG_1673.jpg

What a strange choice of manifold...Why not a simple log one? More efficient and a lot less volume. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper too...

*n

looks like it could be equal length, in which case the turbo would spool a lot better than a standard cast piece.

Permabanned
looks like it could be equal length, in which case the turbo would spool a lot better than a standard cast piece.

I was always under the impression that primary lengths were inconsequential on a turbo'd engine and that manifold volume was king...

*n

Soldato
Revs have nothing to do with it. It is all about flow.

Yes, it may rev to 13k but it's only 1300cc so it is no different to a 2.6 with a 6,500rpm limit...

*n

Short stroke and high duration cams are attributed to a high revving engine.

Therefore minimum Turbine Inlet Pressure is whats required to mitigate the issues of reversion and residual exhaust gases 'diluting' the combustion process. What your doing with that is giving the inertia of the gas to have more of an effect on the turbine rotation rather than allowing pretty much all the turbine torque to be generated by a pressure ratio across the blades.

Its TOTALLY different to a 2.6 revving to 6500 in terms of fluid dynamics. For a start you have twice the pulse frequency of the valve closing induced wave down the exhaust port.

Boost threshold as noted will be slightly later than a small volume cast manifold but thats about the only downside.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was always under the impression that primary lengths were inconsequential on a turbo'd engine and that manifold volume was king...

*n

volume is indeed important, but so is velocity. the quicker the exhaust gas is filtered to the turbo housing and with as little turbulence as possible means the turbo will spool much quicker - works best with a twin scroll turbo mind.

Caporegime
volume is indeed important, but so is velocity. the quicker the exhaust gas is filtered to the turbo housing and with as little turbulence as possible means the turbo will spool much quicker - works best with a twin scroll turbo mind.

Thats more to do with the pulse effects from each cylinder rather than velocitys.

Log manifolds are crap as a lot of the gases simply go up the adjacent cylinder exhaust port rather than towards the turbo. Twin scroll have seperate entry points into the turbine housing. This separates the two (on a I4 engine) matching pairs of cylinders from one another. This means that the pulse of exhaust gas from that cylinder can either go down the matching cylinder exhaust port or the turbo. 1 + 4 and 2 + 3 are the matching pairs.

With a log you can see that rather than having two options, the pulse has 4 options of where it's energy can go/is absorbed by.

Soldato
Thats more to do with the pulse effects from each cylinder rather than velocitys.

Log manifolds are crap as a lot of the gases simply go up the adjacent cylinder exhaust port rather than towards the turbo. Twin scroll have seperate entry points into the turbine housing. This separates the two (on a I4 engine) matching pairs of cylinders from one another. This means that the pulse of exhaust gas from that cylinder can either go down the matching cylinder exhaust port or the turbo. 1 + 4 and 2 + 3 are the matching pairs.

With a log you can see that rather than having two options, the pulse has 4 options of where it's energy can go/is absorbed by.

so effectively it just depends on how you want the power delivery?

JBS have a thread on the r32oc, theyre just half way through their first turbo conversion, pics and info here > http://r32oc.com/showthread.php?t=1682

Its basically the same principals then as polishing and porting the intake and exhaust ports no? To increase the airflow and reduce air turbulence?

Back
Top Bottom