New PS2 Model out Nov 1.

Soldato
Originally posted by Nozzer
Not a fan of the top-loading mechanism either. Needs more slot.

At least you aren't going to hear the tray rattle when the disk spins although it means you can't cram it into a very small area like you could if it was a tray or slot.

Associate
I held one in my hands yesterday. They are so slim it's almost unbelievable when you look at the old design. Very nice indeed, though I personally would prefer a CD tray or a slot than the top-loader as it feels a tad cheap.

The first shipment landed in the UK 5 days ago ;)

Permabanned
look how small the new one is in comparison to the old one:

mg1973-ps2.jpg

Associate
Originally posted by jester
It's not Dolby Digital though, only Pro Logic.

Its DTS. PS2 cannot support DD5.1 ingame. Only during cutscenes.

Edit... They still haven't included 5.1 DD

I think this was never going to happen. Sony shrunk the electronics but there was no was of adding new features at this stage of the PS2's life. Also imagine the out cry from million's of users who suddenly found out they had to replace their console just to get DD, or the games companies who re-engineered their products to support it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by BeanBandit
Also imagine the out cry from million's of users who suddenly found out they had to replace their console just to get DD, or the games companies who re-engineered their products to support it.
Nobody *has* to replace their console, if so you could have said the same thing when they added an IR sensor. I think the actual fact that they've shrunk the PS2 by 60% will cause more of an outcry among exsisting owners than if they'd just added DD.

Soldato
Very nice indeed.

I'm happy with my PS2 as it is atm :), if it breaks down then atleast I know I'll be getting one of those under my 3 year guarantee :D

Soldato
Yes it's ok but not as good as it could have been.

Edit... No it's not Digital in game, only in cut scenes.

So it outputs via optical (which is digital) but isnt digital really? :confused:

Ant the rest of the game plays in stereo?

Associate
Nobody *has* to replace their console, if so you could have said the same thing when they added an IR sensor. I think the actual fact that they've shrunk the PS2 by 60% will cause more of an outcry among exsisting owners than if they'd just added DD.

Adding the IR sensor wasn't really an issue. It didn't need it to function, it just added convenience. Although it did take away the Ilink port. Shrinking the PS2 was never going to cause an outcry. Everyone knew it was going to happen, it was just a case of when.

So it outputs via optical (which is digital) but isnt digital really?
Ant the rest of the game plays in stereo?

Thats correct. The PS2 doesn't have the audio processing capabilities that the Xbox has.

Soldato
Originally posted by BeanBandit
Shrinking the PS2 was never going to cause an outcry.
But adding DD 5.1 would have? I think not ;) It just would have been nice that's all. Like i said earlier if they bundle GT4 with it then i'm still game :)

Back
Top Bottom