New PSU

Associate
So I recently got a great deal on a prebuilt which I then gutted, changed a few components and then built my own PC using the parts. One of the things that I didn't change was the PSU, but after speaking to some people on the sub they said that a PSU upgrade was needed. So, I currently have a Corsair VS650W that I'm planning on upgrading when the warranty runs out (sometime this october). For reference I currently have a ryzen 5 3600 and a RX 5700 XT. After looking at a PSU calculator my needs are around 594W but with the new GPUs being released which are rumored to be power hungry beasts, I think an upgrade to 750W might be necessary. So are there any suggestions for a 750W PSU that preferably comes from a reputable company and has a good warranty, that doesn't break the bank. I'm not really bothered about it being modular or not but that would be nice. Help appreciated!

Associate
OP
Psu calculators over estimate,

PHANTEKS AMP 650W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09q-pt.html

CORSAIR RM SERIES RM750 750W '80 PLUS GOLD' MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020195-uk-ca-24s-cs.html

That corsair PSU looks excellent, especially with that 10-year warranty! I've never had a modular power supply before (just built my first PC three days ago), does it come with all the wires that you need? SATA, Molex etc?

Man of Honour
That corsair PSU looks excellent, especially with that 10-year warranty! I've never had a modular power supply before (just built my first PC three days ago), does it come with all the wires that you need? SATA, Molex etc?

Yes both the corsair and Phanteks come with the correct cables and being modular use only what you need.

Both have a 10 year warranty.

Associate
OP
Do those sound like PC is preparing to take off and fly out of window?
If not, they don't draw much.
Anyway with 3600 being really frugal CPU there's loose on that 350W.
Yeah there isn't really much need to upgrade now but I'm going to be getting a new PSU anyway and it makes sense to spend a bit more money on a 750W as I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU when the new ones release later this year!

Man of Honour
This cheap pre built is starting to look not so cheap if you end up replacing most of it. Personally id wait and see what comes out and at what power budget.

Associate
OP
This cheap pre-built is starting to look not so cheap if you end up replacing most of it. Personally id wait and see what comes out and at what power budget.
Yeah, I was planning on waiting until the new GPUs come out anyway, I was just looking for recommendations in advance as my PSU warranty runs out in november. So far the only things I've replaced were the case and mobo, then I added some fans - most of which were hand me downs from a friend. So still a cheap PC nonetheless! :)

Back
Top Bottom