New rig, £3k

Associate
Hi all,
It's been nearly 15 nears since I last built a pc (all parts from this very site), but since we're going into lockdown, I thought I'd treat myself to a new gaming computer. I just have no idea what's good anymore. Can people recommend some stuff around the 2.5-3k range so that I can have a starting point to work with? I'll be needing everything apart from periphals!

Thanks!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I would personally get a 5700 XT which is a great performer now, and then pick up one of the 2020 GPUs later in the year. Your budget would allow something like a 2080/2080 Ti but I'd not spend that kind of money on a GPU now when I know better GPUs aren't far off.

Gone for an ultra wide screen if you have space, it will make gaming much more immersive.

There's only 1 of the cases I linked in stock so keep that in mind, it's a good case so it may go.

3900x may be a little over kill for gaming, but it's a very good CPU and at this budget you can afford it.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,517.84 (includes shipping: £28.02)

Associate
OP
ooh I didn't think about a snazzy screen, not bad.
This is mainly to keep me entertained over the self-isolation period so I'm not averse to spending £££ right now instead of waiting until later. Thanks for the basket though, v helpful!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
In that case I've updated it to include a 2080 SUPER.

You have budget to go for some RGB RAM if you want some more bling, so I've included that.

You also have budget for a X570 motherboard but I don't think that would bring any benefits for gaming.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,758.06 (includes shipping: £28.02)

Last edited:
Associate
RAM is poor value vs performance
Display seem overkill. Get a reasonable 27" screen.
CPU cooler would only fit front of case, some statistics show loss of cooling performance when installed front vs top

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
RAM is poor value vs performance
Display seem overkill. Get a reasonable 27" screen.
CPU cooler would only fit front of case, some statistics show loss of cooling performance when installed front vs top

Yep, RAM with RGB was added purely for extra bling option, my first suggestion was the cheaper option with no RGB so he has both options. Not everyone wants a no frills build when dropping 3k.

Soldato
Don't think you'll be selling PC after epidemy is over, or have money "for sheeps to eat".
So would primarily put money into those things giving longer lasting return for value than time it takes until epidemy is over.
For example super expensive graphics card have super bad performance per price and Nvidia's marketing purposely neglects to tell that use of that next-gen game tech, raytracing, makes their performance crash down.

If wanting to minimize upgrades of "core parts", Ryzen 3900X is definitely way to go for future's core hungry games.
I mean next-gen consoles will bring underclocked for energy effiency variant of 3700X with 8 cores/16 threads as base level for future games.

Also while 16GB is now enough for nearly all games at least without stuff on background, 2x16GB kit instead of 2x8GB would be better long term now that price is good.
Most games are multiplatters and have been designed from the start to be crammed into tiny memory of current antique consoles.
Hence average memory usage hasn't grown any in long time.
But next-gen consoles will no doubt start general increase in memory usage.

And unless you already have 2560x1440 monitor, would definitely update to one.
It's at the moment sweet spot with reasonable prices and you can get high framerates even in heavier games.
Some 1920x1080 simply cripples even web surfing with its medieval vertical resolution and need to keep scrolling down/up.

If you don't prefer darker room, in which IPS isn't that good, LG's 27GL850 would be overall one of the best with excellent response times.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html
For darker rooms VA's superior contrast/black is better.

One thing often neglected is also other side of gaming immersion: Sound.
Compared to Nvidia's prices it's possible to get to very good level in that for pretty much semi free:
Total of £250 gets very good for gaming headphones from actual audio makers and high end sound card.
And unlike expensive graphics cards, those keep their value for long time.
So unless you already have good equipment with proper surround sound setup etc, I would upgrade that.

While "2 serie" was clearly genuinely good, "3 serie" seems to be fashion hype money leeching basing on reviews with performance per noise from average to plain bad. (for high price)

Associate
OP
Resell value isn't a problem.
My current monitor is a BenQ XL2411, in general I'm pretty happy with it although I also don't have any problems with paying for a super snazzy one.
The likelihood is that I will keep the computer for quite a few years and not upgrade it much, but of course I can't predict the future.
This is a great starting point though, thanks for all the comments!

Soldato
My current monitor is a BenQ XL2411, in general I'm pretty happy with it
Only because you've clearly never used anything actually good.
That's total lackluster in about everything.
That resolution is masochism even for web browsing with no room for much anything without constant scrolling down/up.
For some perspective I think it might be 20 years since I used such low vertical resolution!

If putting even 2/3rds of that budget into PC, 27" 2560x1440 should be minimum.
It would also improve all every day usage besides gaming.
And I consider also that resolution mediocre having used (30") 2560x1600 for six years.

Back
Top Bottom