New router recommendation - post-war house

Soldato
Hi guys,

A friend has just asked me to look into a new router for him. He's currently with TalkTalk, despite me trying to wean him off them, and is using their supplied kit. Which is bad, I've tried using it myself! And with solid walls, the wifi strength and coverage is woeful... he'll be keeping the supplied kit and using as a modem.

Budget of about £80 I'd say, and future-proofed as much as possible? Wifi strength is the key, there are four in the house, all users - gaming, streaming etc.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Caporegime
If you've currently got the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub (the one with all the small holes in the front) then you aren't going to improve it within your budget.

Soldato
OP
Good Wi-Fi strength isn't much good when the connection to the outside world is a wet piece of string.
Haha, their actual dsl connection is rock solid! All the outside wiring near them has only just been done in the last 3 years or so and they've got a decent, filtered master socket - I know because I fitted it :D

@Caged, no they've got the older one, white I think it is. TT won't let them have the newy, unless they recontract.

Man of Honour
You're still fighting the laws of physics if you spend £80 or £800 on a new Wifi router. Best bet is to get a hardwired Access Point centrally mounted upstairs and see how that is and add more around the house if necessary.

Soldato
Haha, their actual dsl connection is rock solid! All the outside wiring near them has only just been done in the last 3 years or so and they've got a decent, filtered master socket - I know because I fitted it :D

They're the lucky ones then. Since the new normal, Helpdesk at work get a lot of tickets with homeworkers having connection issues via TalkTalk. We get some for most ISPs, but TalkTalk seem worse than the rest. That includes their VISPs like Shell.

Back
Top Bottom