New Soundcard advice needed

Associate
Ok, there's so much out there my mind's gone numb. I'll just say what I have and what I need and you lot do the business and tell me what to buy! :D :D

I currently have a SB Live! with front I/O panel which has done me proud for the last 6 years or so! Along with this I have Microsoft Digital Sound System speakers. Don't laugh - they have worked tirelessly for the same amount of time as the SB Live! and have sounded great within the confines of my PC room!
But the SB front panel no longer works since I rebuilt my PC which is a real pain because it was ideal for my headphones and plugging in my acoustic guitar lead and Zoom drum machine midi.

So here's what I have and what I might be using and I would really appreciate thoughts on the best combo's to go with this lot:

PC spec as in signature.
I'm not a big gamer, but like the odd go of BF2 and flight sims every now and again. I have an old Sidewinder joystick (non-USD) that requires a gameport (currently ok using SB Live card gameport)
I have an electric guitar or two playing through a PodXT Live set up which I would like to make the odd recording to PC (through the PodXT USB) along with the Zoom 323 Drum machine which uses Midi.
I play an acoustic guitar connected using 1/4" jack to the Front panel.
I need a good 1/4" headphone socket.
I have about 50Gb of MP3's and nearly always use the PC for music rather than my Sony Hi-Fi, with which I have a PC Link kit, so I can also play from PC through Hi-Fi if I choose.

And that's about it really. I'm not a dedicated audiophile who needs to spend ,000's on stuff, but since I use the PC for playing music a lot I don't want to get poor sounding playback from cheap rubbish either.

I've looked at M-Audio equipment and X-Fi cards and I really need either a stand alone external unit, or another Front-panel card/unit so i can plug in the things I need.

If I start with a £200 budget, what should I get..?

...Over to you gentlemen... :)

Associate
The gameport is probably going to be an issue. The X-Fi Elite Pro doesn't have one, and don't recall seeing it on an EMU/M-Audio card either.
Your other connectivity needs should be covered, but you can double check (took this from the manual).

Elite Pro connectivity said:
Sound Blaster X-Fi I/O Console*

Inputs and outputs on front panel
Headphone output and volume control with auto detection via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack
Shared line-level analog Line/Hi-Z input via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack. Shared input selectable via dial with gain control for Hi-Z input.
Shared line-level analog Line/Microphone input via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack. Shared input selectable via dial with gain control for microphone.

Inputs and outputs on rear panel
Two RCA jacks for Auxiliary input
DIN jack for connection to supported Creative analog speaker systems with the wired remote control or Audio Control Pod that comes with the speakers
Two standard MIDI female connectors for MIDI input and output
Two optical connectors for optical SPDIF input and output
Two RCA jacks for coaxial SPDIF input and output
The sound quality for music playback is there, though to be fair, the Live! is quite easily beaten nowadays :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For the Gameport I think I can work around the problem if needbe by leaving the SB Live card in there with it's gameport, and disabling its other functions in the device manager. Hopefully there wouldn't be any conflicts.

With regards to the XFi Elite Pro I'm not so sure that I need to spend the extra on that when I could get just about all I need from the XFi Fatal1ty.
And then at the same time I like the idea of the M-Audio Firewire 410 - being able to have it on my desktop with all the I/O I need in front of me!

[edit] Just looked closer at rthe XFi Elite and, of course, I didn't realise that it had the external I/O, along with headphone + Input sockets + RCA (if I want other speakers...) - so could be exactly what I need after all ! :) [/edit]

As you see, I have a real problem decision-making in this area!! :rolleyes:
Its a case of determining which item will cover all my needs and be the best sound quality per ££, as well as being future-proof for...let's say 6 years at least!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom